I lost my dog after 17 years last week

She was sweet and smart and had so much personality it was unbelievable. She was the runt of her family, very small for a Golden retriever but she could bend and twist like a cat and never seemed phased by anything. We would joke when she was a puppy that she was indestructible.

Most Goldens only live until eight or nine but she blew past that with ease and energy. All the way to turning 17 this past November. She was slower, didn’t play much but she she could walk and see (not great but still) and hear (although we suspect that was starting to go too) and to the very end was always charming and fun. Last Friday she seemed lethargic but not ill. She crawled over and laid at our feet and let out a deep sigh and she passed, peacefully. I hated that it happened but I was glad she wasn’t alone when it did.

She was a big part of my life and I loved her and I miss her. I just wanted to share this with others because she deserved that.

I’m really sorry for your loss, Quimby. Our Golden/Border Collie passed away this past Columbus Day at 14.5 YO. Goldens are the sweetest characters. We just got another BC/Golden from the Humane Society. Definitely consider a rescue when the times comes for another K9 (you know it will ;)); you won’t be sorry.

My condolences.

This is why I try to make sure that every day is better for him than the one before.

Been there, and don’t want to ever feel like I did not do enough, again.

dogs are the greatest and their lives can teach us so much - especially that there is not enough time

seize the day, play with your dog!

I’m sorry for your loss :frowning:

I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m sure she was happy there, at your feet.

She certainly sounds like a wonderful girl.

I sure do wish that I could have met her or seen her somehow.

I love dogs and yours sounds like a very special girl.

You have my sympathy, I understand the pain of losing a wonderful dog. Please consider a new puppy.

I lost my dog this year too so I know what you are going through. I hope you know that you gave her a great life & were the center of her world. Peace.

So sorry for your loss! She sounds special, like most all Goldies. My last, Trouble, made it to 15 and was exactly the opposite of her name. This time I’m trying a Flat Coat, which looks like a Goldie in black. Mischief is only 2 so I can’t in fairness compare her to Trouble, but I have high hopes. I too suggest you get a new puppy.

She sounds like such a wonderful girl. I’m so sorry for your loss.

I understand how you feel. I lost mine three years ago and instantly vowed to never get another. Don’t want to go through that again.

The world is divided into those who understand your pain and those who don’t.

My condolences.
mmm

I offer my condolences too. Losing a dog is a terrible thing. She sounds like a wonderful girl. I’m glad you were with her at the end.

Something is getting in my eyes.

She passed peacefully it sounds like. I’m so sorry for you, losing a beloved pet is awful.

My condolences, but also my happiness that you both had long years together and lots of great memories. And she must’ve been a very lucky dog, to live so long and be so loved. :slight_smile:

Thank you everyone. Your words really are appreciated.

A couple of people have asked to see her, which is unbelievably sweet of you. As it happens, a few years ago I posted a short video to YouTube of her playing. You can see it here.

Bless you for being such a wonderful owner to keep a golden healthy and happy that long. She looks just like my Dolly who I lost a little over a year ago at the age of 12.

So sorry for your pain, but happy you got to be with your baby for so long. Peace to you.

She looked wonderful. Not just her looks but her playful nature.

It’s great that you have a video to help you remember her.

Thanks very much for posting that.

My condolences. 17 is an amazingly long life for a golden!

Here’s a link to a forum that offers comfort and understanding to golden owners
in times of loss:

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-rainbow-bridge/

I’m sure the people there would love to hear stories about your girl.