I might be getting wet. I won't be pumping my own gas. Or buying pseudoephedrine without a script.

Yes, that’s right, we’ve just moved to Oregon.

After spending most of a lifetime in bone-dry SoCal, here are my initial impressions, somewhat randomly presented:

They really love their Ducks here in Eugene. I’ll definitely be looking into obtaining library privileges at the University here. From what I’ve seen they have a fairly liberal policy regarding us “townies”. Unfortunately my UCLA faculty club membership will be of no value here. The U of O club is, apparently, so secretive that I can’t even find out if they would consider affiliating with their UCLA counterpart…

A wide variety of consumer products, both licit and (Federally) illicit, seem to be a lot less expensive here. In fact, with regard to cannabis, it’s astonishing how openly the shops that sell it carry on their business. They might as well be selling auto parts or hobby supplies. In L.A. and S.F., the cannabis stores are still very much on the DL, even though they’re not hard to find for anyone who wants the product. Although I am totally in favor of cannabis legalization, I’m not 100% it’s the best policy to have it so out in the open. The whole point of legalizing it is that you should be able to get it legally; it doesn’t need to be anything more than that. Still, it’s kind of a thrill to see it. And my next door neighbor has a grow in his garden. It’s a thrill to see that, too.

We drove up all the way from Escondido, in far southern California. The first time we stopped for gas in Oregon, I made the mistake of getting out of the car, pulling my credit card from my wallet, and trying to pump my own gas. Only there was no place on the tank where I could insert my card and punch in my PIN. Then I remembered that Oregon is one of two states, the other being NJ, where there’s no self-serve gas. I can live with that. Since then I’ve learned to just sit in the driver’s seat, and have my card ready to hand to the attendant. I have not done this routinely since the early 1970s, but I suppose I could get used to it.

Water. There certainly seems to be a lot more water up here than in dear old SoCal. The rivers here have rivers of their own! Even the tributaries of the Willamette here are substantial rivers in their own right. I understand it rains here a little bit more than in SoCal, though I’ve been told that they had an unusually dry and warm late spring. I just hope I haven’t brought the spectre of persistent drought and high temps with me.

In early July we discovered the online listing of the house which we eventually bought, and in which I now as I type this post. Since then, I’ve flown from San Francisco to Eugene three times. The first time, I noticed Mount Shasta, Crater Lake, and the Three Sisters, the latter while on final approach into Eugene airport. I can’t help but notice that all of these mountains are volcanoes. And here I have finally gotten away from the San Andreas Fault.

Well, that’s all I have for now. I’ll probably think of more things to say here as time goes on.

Enjoy.
Oregon is unique. Its coast, its people, its flora and fauna, are all different than either California or Washington.
The open MJ use has ups and downs. you may be familiar with them from CA.

“Script”? SCENE 1, INT. PHARMACY. SPECTRE: “HELLO, I’D LIKE TO BUY THIS MEDICINE.”
Is that a British thing (and you were born there), or maybe a West Coast thing? IME they’re called “prescriptions” throughout the US – or were you referring to something else?

I’ve heard the word “script” used in that context here in the Chicago area. Probably highly regional.

“Scrip” is a shortening of the word “prescription.” “Script” is a common rendering of that.

New to me, and I’ve lived in the East Coast, West Coast, and all over the Midwest… Ignorance fought!

I didn’t mean to sound nitpicky. I loved the OP’s observations – e.g., how in Oregon, “the rivers have rivers.” :slight_smile:

I have a ton of relatives in Oregon who rarely get wet.

Forget the “Oregon = Wet” thing. That’s just less than half the state. The good part of the state is nice and dry!

yes, but this thread is about Eugene specifically.

My kid recently graduated from U or O in Eugene. Being Southern California residents ourselves, we enjoyed visiting there immensely. I grew up around Ann Arbor, so Eugene being a big college town in the north-ish climate resonated with me.

There are some very nice places to eat too! (I would steer away from the Oregon Electric Station. It’s a great space but I have repeatedly found both the service and food to be curiously disappointing.)

I often hear people say “script” or “scrip” when they mean “prescription,” and it’s a pet peeve of mine, because it makes me think of the kind of thing JKellyMap posted.

According to the Wiki article, we should expect about 35" inches of rain annually, which seems about a typically temperate amount of rain for the non-arid regions of this country. Of course to us, having lived our whole lives in SoCal, 35" is torrential.

From what I’ve read the easternmost areas of Oregon are as dry as most of Nevada.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Less wet than some places. Want to have coffee sometime? Message me.

Looks like you moved up there just in time for the Animal House 40th Anniversary celebration in Cottage Grove this weekend. This year they’re hoping to reclaim the title of the world’s largest toga party. On the bill are both The Kingsmen and Otis Day and The Nights.

I’ve road-tripped Oregon several times in recent years and enjoyed myself immensely. The OP’s mention of “rivers having rivers of their own” certainly apt; it’s a refreshing change when one is used to the mostly-dry riverbeds throughout California.

There is a lot to see here in Oregon. We’ve traveled to every corner and it’s a truly amazing bit of the country. The rivers are uniformly clear and beautiful, the state campgrounds are clean and maintained, the beaches are ALL public (thanks to Tom McCall, a former Republican governor) and beautifully rugged, the skiing is good, the hiking is terrific, and the wine and beer plentiful. If the OP needs suggestions for some sightseeing, I can help.

I’ve seen “script” for prescription in publications with a national audience, but only when the writing style is intentionally informal, or if the writer needs to be as concise as possible, as in a title or headline. So it’s definitely not regional.

“Scrip” has its own meaning, which is a kind of informal voucher given or sold to the attendees of an event, who then use them to buy drinks or whatever.

This is the first time I’ve seen “scrip” used for prescription, but it’s not surprising given the ongoing simplification of consonant clusters. (Which I despise.)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I got to know Oregon when my daughter accepted a scholarship to Lewis and Clark. I visited her many times.

It was a massive education for her. She was born and raised in Utah. So, it was a huge change.

At that time the college had 1,500 students. She got a great liberal arts education. Spending a semester in France and one in Dominican Republic. At that time, every student took a foreign language and spent a semester in the country of that language.

Enjoy Oregon. It is a fine place. Keep in touch with Louis and Clark for plays and musical events open to the public.

I have had great experiences with the people and places in Oregon. However, I think it’s because they know I am passing thru - I guess they like visitors. However, a CA refugee taking up residence? I have heard the locals may not be so kindly. Maybe more so in urban Portland compared to the collegiate Eugene. Anyway, I hope you do not encounter anything like that. Eventually, you will get OR licence plates and no one will know your origin unless you reveal it to them.

Welcome to Eugene, from a neighbor up in the Coast Range to the northwest. :slight_smile:

Your observation about Eugene and their Ducks made me laugh! The first thing we learned when we moved here was that exclaiming, “Go, Ducks!” brought instant good will.

Seconded re the Oregon Electric Station. It’s ok, but nothing to bark about re fine dining IMHO.

Don’t forget to explore the many wonderful wineries in the area. There are some real treasures. Feel free to PM for specific recommendations.

Ahhhhh… about that San Andreas fault… you might want to Google “Cascadia.” :eek:

Congratulations! You are now only about 2 1/2 hours drive from the only remaining Blockbuster Video store in the nation. In Bend, pretty much due east of Eugene. Such convenience!

Enjoy,
Steven

But it didn’t start like that.

Title and first line:
“I might be getting wet. I won’t be pumping my own gas. Or buying pseudoephedrine without a script.
Yes, that’s right, we’ve just moved to Oregon.”

The implication of moving to Oregon = getting wet is primary. Where in Oregon is secondary.