I might be getting wet. I won't be pumping my own gas. Or buying pseudoephedrine without a script.

OK, if you are going to be so persnickety about it:

The title did say “might be”, which is not the same as “=”.

So there!

Spectere moves up, Sunny is moving out. The Oregon Dope balance remains.

More specifically, google “cascadia subduction zone”. Yes, we’re awaiting the next Big One up here too. The main difference with California is that our Big Ones don’t occur as often. The last one was in 1700. (We know the exact day it occured on because it caused a tsunami in Japan.)

ETA: Welcome to Oregon.

Congrats! Eugene is a great little town. Just don’t make plans that involve driving around town on game days.

And I found it to be more “damp” than “wet”; it’s not a lot of “normal” rain and storms so much as it is 5-6 solid months of gray, drizzly days peppered with a bit of proper rain every now and then. June through September is dry and sunny, mostly.

Down here in Ashland, half the population are ex-Californians. The natives occasionally pretend to complain, but really we all get along just fine.

Average rainfall in Ashland is about the same as Sacramento, but that’s still double what SoCal gets.

And I think this is my first chance since moving up here last summer to say “welcome to Oregon!”

Howdy, neighbor! waves from Portland You have some cool stuff to discover! Take a drive from Eugene over Hwy 36 to the coast, turn right or left and prepare to enjoy some amazing scenery. Protip–when it’s hot as balls inland, the coast will be a LOT cooler. Might even need a jacket.

If you do go to Bend, make a side trip off Hwy 58 and visit Waldo Lake, preferably with a kayak or two. You will never see clearer water–you can see the bottom a hundred feet down and the lake is so pristine not even fish live in it. There are some gorgeous hikes around the lake and at one point you can see the beginning of the North fork of the Willamette as a happy little stream running out of the lake. Also take the Cascade Lakes Loop north off Hwy 97, goes past some amazing lakes and rivers and Mt Bachelor which will be your ski area, assuming you ski. Drive up to Sisters then take Hwy 242 (not open in winter!) through 6000 year old lava flows and stop at the mountain observatory at the crest of the road then down into McKenzie Bridge and follow the river back into the valley. Amazing scenery and you go from wet side to dry side and back–if you want to get brave, take Hwy 31 southeast from La Pine and go out to Christmas Valley or Paisley, look for signs to Crack In The Ground where sometimes you can find ice and snow patches at the bottom of the crack even in high summer. Outside of Paisley is Summer Lake Hot Springs, stop in and soak in a hot pool for a while or rent one of their cabins for the night. That’s a place that’s awfully nice to visit in winter, the outdoor hot pools on a cold clear night are amazing.

Where are you moving? I stayed there one, in Whiteaker of all places. Funky neighborhood.

I hear “script” all the time, probably mostly older generations. I’ve always understood “scrip” with no t to be more erroneous, but still as common. Scrip is company money that people in the 19th century would be stuck using.

Settle down, Thanos.

Yes, Southern Oregon is more likely to sacrifice Californians. Or at least grumble about them.

In my experience here it’s the common word for “prescription,” no matter the generation. (Though my peer group is Gen X, so maybe I am now an “older” generation.) “Scrip” is the more common of the two variations.

Maybe? Maybe???

:slight_smile:

/Gen Xer

Take vitamin D. Most people have a vitamin D deficiency, and those of us in the PNW are at risk. Seriously, transplants can really get hit hard by SAD, the lack of sunlight, and get depressed. Just about every doctor I’ve seen here in the Seattle area reminds me to take vitamin D.

ETA: I mis-remembered the average rainfall figure by about ten inches. Even so, it’s certainly not an extreme amount of rain over a year.

I think I’ll rent a movie tonight!

Now where did I put that VCR?

I’m in the Danebo/Bethel area of Eugene.

I’m sure that’s where the term originated. As recently as 1980 or so it was still fairly common in the related sense which I mentioned above.

The thing with W. Oregon’s rain is not the amount, it’s that it drizzles and drizzles and drizzles. A lot of East Coast cities get more rain than Portland. Theirs just comes in buckets.

As to the areas east of the Cascades there is a variety of climates. Most of it is typical Intermountain sagebrush country (if it hasn’t been converted to farmland, esp. wheat farms). But some areas are somewhat wetter. For example the mountains in northeast Oregon are fairly green.

Sadly, OES is the only halfway decent place we’ve found, possibly besides Le Marché. What is it with restaurants these days, serving everything either in a sort of glue-like mass, or else dripping with runny sauce? Steak restaurants seem to be about the only reliable thing these days. Our forays into the local interpretation of Mexican and Chinese fare have been disastrous.

Not that this sort of thing is limited to Oregon, though.

OP, if you own an umbrella, get rid of it. Assimilation requires you to tough it out.

Preach on! My wife and I experience disappointment at nearly every restaurant we go to, except when we stick to basic burgers or steaks. However, we can cook both of those items better and for far less at home. We can cook nearly everything we eat at restaurants better and for less: Chinese, Thai, Italian, etc.

Wait, there is one exception: Taco trucks. We make a really good carne asada on the charcoal grill but we have been unable to replicate the carne asada or spicy pork (adovada) served at our taco truck. We haven’t attempted to make the la lengua, but it’s delicious too.

If you’re getting bad Mexican food, you’re going to the wrong places. Mexican food is awesome in Oregon, mostly because Hispanics are our largest minority group and a huge percentage of them are not acculturated yet and many haven’t learned English at all. So find out where the local laborers have dinner, that’s where the good stuff is. It won’t be Tex-Mex smothered in cheese, though, I don’t think that exists here. Also do a Yelp search for your local tiendas, I’ve found several with deli food that knocks my socks off, including one that regularly has lamb barbacoa.

Chinese is hard to find done well, so go for Thai instead or Vietnamese. Pho exists in many excellent forms in Portland, I’m assuming Eugene has it as well.

And yes, look for food trucks. In Portland some of the best, most innovative food comes from a truck.

Marché is good but expensive and (in my opinion) a little precious.

Some others I’d recommend:

Izakaya Meiji Company. Delicious and different. The Japanese Pork and Beans are special. Also anything fish. Reservations required.

Koho Bistro. Kind of 80s, but the food is solid, fresh and well prepared. Good for fish, steaks and sometimes venison or other less common choices. Reservations recommended.

King Estate Winery. The new place was better when it first opened and they weren’t quite so self-assured of their wonderfulness. But the food is still nice and the view alone is worth the price. My favorite way to enjoy it is to head up on a Tuesday. Stop for a wine tasting or two along the way, then taste King’s most recent offerings, and at last take a seat on the patio to enjoy a leisurely lunch. Always call first to see if they have something else going on… if yes, best to pick another day.

La Perla Pizzaria. The pizzas and salads are very good. I haven’t tried the pastas. An informal place, no problem to drop in.

For Thai, try [DEL]Thai Hop[/DEL] Ta Ra Rin. There are a few other Thai joints in town I haven’t tried, but in my limited explorations, this one is the best in the area. Also informal.

If I ever find decent Chinese, I’ll pass it along.

Hope you find these suggestions useful!

In fairness, it’s the much more populated half.

And in fairness here, even Western Oregon isn’t an unrelentingly wet as the legends tell. Many folks don’t realize we have a very dry season here each year, from about the first of July through somewhere around the first of October. A quarter century ago, you could expect only a handful of rainy days in that window. Now, probably because of climate change, we get no rain at all during that season many years.

On the plus side, climate change is supposed to make Oregon slightly COOLER in the winters, one of the few places in the world with a change in that direction. You can already see it in slightly increased snowfalls, and the rain is often a heavy, soaking rain now – used to be mostly just a sort of perpetual heavy mist.