I might be getting wet. I won't be pumping my own gas. Or buying pseudoephedrine without a script.

Dang it! I’m leaving in a few weeks. Anyone want to have a quick Dope meet up?

On a separate, but possibly related note, I recall a bunch of decent restaurants by the university. I’ll ask my husband and report back.

My nephew recently moved to Eugene. If you run into a tall, blonde young man name Colin, maybe it’s him.

Yeah, I know, it’s hardly likely. But stranger things happen.

Would be fun, Sunny Daze, if there is an agreeable date. I have house guests planning visits during the next couple of months, but if the stars align, I’ll be there!

Can you say where you’re headed?

To the OP:

I thought of a couple of other places you might enjoy:

Cafe 440 on Coburg Road, especially if you enjoy pork.

Also The Cannery downtown. It’s a pleasant little pub with good sandwiches and a respectable draft beer selection.

Both are casual restaurants not requiring reservations, although Cafe 440 would probably appreciate them for dinner.

Your credit card requires a PIN? I’ve never heard of that.

I haven’t signed with a cc for over well over 20 years now. And for purchases under $100, I can ‘pay-wave’ without even having to use a pin.

Oregon is too small a market for most gas pump vendors to make us “special stuff.” So usually the pumps are the same as everybody else’s. But since having the attendant say “hey, tell me your PIN” is a bad idea, they run almost everything as a credit card – a trick even most debit cards can do.

I suspect that the machines ARE customized a little for us: as noted above, some of them don’t have the numeric pad, and back a few years they used to always ask for my home zip code (the stand-in for a PIN when running the card as credit), but they don’t even ask for that, any more.

If you’re really desperate for that “back in Cali” experience, most rural counties in Oregon allow you to pump your own off-hours. The rules are a little complicated (something about the population in a certain radius being below a certain amount), but they’ll have a sign saying if it’s OK.

For whatever reason, most US credit cards are chip and signature, not chip and PIN. Debit cards use PIN most of the time.

Still, price isn’t the only consideration, as one sometimes would like to eat a meal prepared, served, and cleaned up after by others. We expect to pay a premium for that and it’s too bad when the food itself looks like a diseased custard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

But Script is also a separate word, not a rendering of scrip and not a shortening of prescription. I hesitate to call it an error, anymore than calling an Icebox a Refrigerator is an error, but I would hesitate even more to call it a rendering of an abbreviation.

Do you like blackberries? The first time I was in Eugene, I was put into a motel near the main campus. Looking at a map it might have been the Best Western. The next morning I took a walk, actually looking for some place to breakfast. And found a place on the other side of the motel from the campus that was absolutely crammed with wild blackberries. I had breakfast and much more just glomming blackberries. The locals seem to ignore them.

37" of rain a year doesn’t sound like too much, but if it is like Seattle where my son lives, what gets you down six months of no sun, maybe with a mm or two of rain quite frequently.

Breakfast: Morning Glory by the train station.

I’ll make a note of this.

In other news, I have recently gone through an experience familiar to many other newcomers, when I asked a supermarket employee where the hard liquor was. And so began my acquaintance with the Oregon alcohol laws. Grocery stores can only sell wine and beer; for anything stronger you have to go to a separate liquor store. It was on a Sunday, but I did manage to find an open liquor store. Arriving at the address, there didn’t seem to be any liquor store in evidence, but there was what looked very much like a typical small grocery. The booze shop turned out to be a small room off the front of the store, with no other way to enter it. As small as it was, there was a decent selection of available brands, so I have no complaints there, but the whole setup is peculiar IMHO. It seems that liquor stores are not allowed to promote themselves by the kind of outdoor signage you would typically find in other states, or for that matter, as the local cannabis shops do.

It also seems it’s OK for a liquor store to have a food store attached to it, but not the reverse.

It’s easier to find the ingredients for a joint than it is to find those for a martini, which may in fact be a more rational policy to pursue.
Then again, given this country’s history it’s not surprising that there are quite a few oddities in state and local alcohol legislation.

A lot of that is leftover from the time just after Prohibition was repealed. The pro-Prohibition people still had influence in some states, so they got legislatures to make selling boooze as inconvenient as possible. Another leftover, at least in Oregon, is that restaurants and bars have to pay the truck driver who delivers the beer in cash. They can’t use credit or pay with a check.

When I first came here, it was from Minnesota, which at the time allowed neither: even wine and beer had to come from a liquor store. So I was surprised the other direction.
Washington has just in the last few years stopped requiring hard liquor to be sold only by liquor stores run by the state itself.

Last time I visited they were closed, in the process of moving to a new location, but Mame has The Best Sushi In The World.

That was how it was in Oregon when I was growing up, I didn’t know it had changed. When I was a youngster there were only IIRC three liquor stores in the whole Eugene metro area. It was also unheard of to find a restaurant with a liquor license, and even most bars were beer/wine only.

I recently completed a south-to-north drive thru central Oregon to eastern Washington. I was surprised at how much wheat is grown in these areas. I knew the eastern parts of these states were VERY open and undeveloped, but I had no idea about the miles and miles of wheat.

One thing that is weird about Oregon but kind of cool: places that serve alcohol explicitly post whether under 21 are allowed in or not.

Oregon, Washington and Idaho all had restrictive alcohol laws and state liquor stores back in the day. Idaho even had a sort of rationing when I lived there, IIRC. Alaska still separates hard liquor sales from grocery sales for some stupid reason. Probably so they can cut off liquor sales at stores that are open round the clock.