I pit be pseudoscience in commercials

Two recent examples:

#1) Commercial for a cleaning product that explains that oil and water don’t mix so oily dirt accumulates but it works by making “water wetter” so it can mix with the oil to remove the dirt. Bonus point off for stating that it “works good”.

#2) Pillow commercial that says that it will increase “deep restorative REM sleep”.

ETA: also pit iPhone for autocorrecting thread title to make me look stoopid.

Not to excuse pseudoscience (or bad grammar), but I could see someone explaining how a detergent works by acting as a surfactant to lower surface tension, therefore, arguably, “making water wetter”. Of course, all detergents work this way to remove dirt and oil, so it’s not anything special about this product, but advertising is all about the spin.

There actually is something called “wet water” but as far as I know, it’s only used for fighting fires. Something is added to the water to reduce surface tension.

Maybe somebody figured out how to use it for cleaning.

Nobody can come remotely close to Nutribullet for unscientific claims in advertising. At least since tobacco companies stopped advertising cigarettes as cough suppressants.

Then there’s this hair product that touts the benefits of royal jelly, on the grounds that it makes queen bees live longer than workers. I’m not sure it’s the jelly that does that but what does that have to do with it’s usefulness as a hair product?

Zicam is a leader in presenting pseudoscience in ads, touting “homeopathic” products as “proven” to shorten duration of colds, when the products in question are either not truly homeopathic and/or haven’t been proven to have any significant clinical effect.

Still, it’s better than when they were selling a zinc product that was linked to permanent loss of people’s sense of smell.

Not technically a commercial, but a product on Amazon. I’m not sure if this one is satire or not:

Salt Pink Himalayan No Chemicals Non-gmo Organic Halall Kosher Fine Grind

Be sure to read the FAQs and comments. Example–someone was concerned because NaCl is a chemical.

Customer review:

But good thing it’s gluten and GMO-free!

You really don’t know if that’s satire?

Also free of DHMO. :slight_smile:

Bees that nest in your hair live longer?

I liked the old shampoo commercials: hair is mostly protein, so protein in shampoos. It’s like the human body is mostly water so it makes sense to consume nothing but water. Or the caveman diets, that overlooked cavemen’s probable lifespan.

Former baseball pitcher Darren Oliver had that problem.

Although to be technically accurate, they were attracted to the coconut oil in his hair gel.

Or the shampoos with VITAMINS! Sorry, folks. Hair is DEAD. It’s not going to be improved by topical vitamins or protein. You have to actually ingest those things so the hair can get them while it’s still alive and growing.

What’s your take RNATB?

Masterful satire or idiots on the interwebs? And I’m sure most Dopers have seen shit as stupid as this–hence the OP.

I’m not wasting a lot of time on this, but it seems to be a real product sold on Amazon at first glance (and I’m not really bothering to take a deeper look).

What I want to know–is it radioactive!!!

I went through the first steps of buying it on my Amazon account, so unless there’s some surprise when you check out, this may be a real product.

If the seller is doing this a satire–props for the investment.

I’m also looking for dihydrogen monoxide on the site. But, I hear that may be a dangerous compound!

… it’s a joke. The question responses and reviews are from random people on Amazon, not the manufacturer/seller.

Same with the pillow thing: anything that makes you more comfortable when sleeping will increase the amount of REM sleep you get. And too little REM sleep can cause sleepiness problems.

It sounds like both are taking real scientific principles and making it sound like it’s some special thing for their product. Not quite pseudoscience, but annoying nonetheless.

So are the reviews real? If I was to create a satirical product on Amazon, I would love these responses.

Do you think the product itself is a satirical item?

I want to sell my Flux Capacitor on Amazon–it’s what makes time travel possible! Can I get a good review!

The reviews are “real” in that they were posted by real people. But they’re just trying to be funny. You seem them on most silly products. The product is real; there’s a substantial subset of the woo/New Age community that holds that pink Himalayan salt is better for you than regular table salt (or perhaps just tastes better).

Wouldn’t decreasing surface tension lessen one of the essential characteristics of water thereby making it “less wet”?
And REM sleep is one of the lightest stages of sleep whether or not it is “restorative”.