I pit DrDeth

yep. du-oh. withOUT me having to call your father a liar even once. :flushed:

This thread didn’t clue you in? Anyway, the spelling stuff was just the icing on the cake. Once your posting habits and argumentation style bring you into disrepute, even the minor annoyances become magnified. Plus, you were so stubbornly insistent on those oddities, which were used by no one else on the board – at least, not systematically.

Anyway, I’m not trying to pile on here. Your efforts at normalization are appreciated, and as I said earlier, I think the continuing pile-ons against you for past transgressions are rather unfair.

So, hold up. I didn’t start this because you write “enuf.” I started this because, in an otherwise interesting discussion about the racist history of D&D, your engagement was simultaneously ignorant and condescending, which is a super annoying combination.

The “idiosyncrasy” that I hope to see you work on is this tendency to not pay attention to what others are saying, this tendency not to be willing to absorb new information and perspectives, this tendency to condescend to folks while also saying real dumb things. If you work on that, I’ll be pleased.

Are you implying something about the D? :smiley:

While I’m no fan of “the D”, could we drop the “hur hur polishing the doorknob” thing please? There are more cogent issues to focus on.

Our good Dr not paying attention to what other posters are actually saying about his posting habits and not absorbing their actual perspective?

The irony inherent in this post is palpable

For reference, I just reread the first fifty or so posts in this thread. Maybe ignore the bullshit about your dad from the last hundred posts or so, and focus on the beginning of the thread to see the substantial stuff that it’s be super helpful for you to work on.

For the record, I don’t have any problem with Dr. D’s alternate spellings. None of them have prevented me from understanding his intended message, and I don’t mind when somebody distinguishes themselves from the crowd. That’s why I never had a problem with Shodan’s “Regards,” and can’t understand why it got so many panties twisted.

I think it was LHOD that gave a really GREAT explanation of why “creative spelling” is so FUCKING AGGRAVATING to a lot of people (myself very much included). And when you add that to the absolute aggressive mulishness on so many disparate subjects, and it just makes some folks want to reach through the monitor and throttle somebody.

The Shodan “regards” hate I never understood either; sign-offs/signatures are not something that I dislike, and some are absolutely amazing (looking at you, @Tripler ).

Thank you very much! It’s something I take a subtle little creative pride in. I aim to please.

Tripler
Sometimes it’s like pissin’ into the wind, but at least it’s an attempt at direction.

I put DD on ignore when I was in a P&E thread. I’d made a mistake in a post and corrected myself. He then corrected my mistake days later (after the thread had long moved on) and needled me about it. I replied that I’d already corrected myself and he kept at it to the point where I questioned his ability to understand anything I was saying and got a mod note. I said fuck it, dropped out of the discussion, and put him on ignore.

He’s an aggressive asshole. He’s a bad person. I don’t think he’s redeemable and can’t wait until his sorry ass finally gets banned. I’m not in favor of helping him mend his ways. Fuck him.

And for the record, I’ve only ever had 2 people on ignore on this board in over a decade. He’s one. I don’t usually do that. He’s a special kind of awful.

I don’t think he’s a bad person, in the sense of being malicious, deliberately seeking disruption and harm. I think he is disruptive, and highly irritating, but not, like, evil or whatever.

Per my long post earlier (linked here), I think he’s dysfunctional. But I pull up short from anything like a specific long-distance diagnosis.

We can agree to disagree. I don’t think he’s evil but I do see him as malicious.

So you’ve met my brother? Huh, small world.

I don’t recall you being involved in WWII discussions here, so really, how are you to know what is stupid or not? Most people here all want the same thing, for DD knock off that annoying shit he does in thread after thread after thread.

I don’t care about him writing “a apple” but I can recognize that other people are frustrated with different aspects of his posting without feeling the need to argue that only my annoyances are valid.

As someone (maybe even you) pointed out, the reason he’s getting flack for his idiosyncrasies is because he’s an annoying poster.

DD is getting his father brought into this thread specifically because of his utilization of his father in WWII threads in attempts to trump experts’ judgments in hijacks he initiates.

One common complain is his introduction of secret insiders into arguments where they can’t be impeached, and that’s the role his father plays in WWII discussions.

That is the summary. Most people aren’t interested in the details, but that’s the only way to show why he’s receiving this treatment. It’s not from the distant past. There was a thread last year with a many-page hijack which he started and continued to argue against everyone, using his father again and again.

TLDR version:

As I said in my deconstruction of his various claims, there is a controversy over MacArthur’s apparent mental breakdown after Pear Harbor was attacked (which occurred 2:00 am Philippine time) and the 10 hours or so before Japan subsequently attacked the Philippines.

Professional scholars have noted that breakdowns among commanders are common. It’s been pointed out of a prominent historian that Mac had conflicting loyalties as the commander of the US Army forces as well as Field Marshall of the Philippine Islands. Whatever, the point isn’t to argue specifics in a thread not about WWII as it’s boring as fuck for those who don’t care. But some background is needed.

Many, many times, DD will hijack a WWII thread to introduce his father’s theory. This was him in an August thread last year about Midway, not about how America got into the war.

At which point, he now hijacks the thread into multiple-page “discussion,” which should be familiar to anyone who has engaged with him in any thread, consisting of many other posters pointing out how ridiculous his position is, and he retorts with absurdities, “no one can prove this didn’t happen,” “it’s still a mystery.” with people telling him:

but he will never quit.

He attacks other posters by using his father:

I’m not going to quote the whole damn thread and the many times DD is arguing this stupid hijack of an otherwise interesting thread. But in it, he repeatedly implies a special relationship between his father and “Doug” or the other players.

See, you are doing to freak out because he wrote “tho” and “enof” where I’m deeply unhappy that he’s implying a special place in history with “he was pulled back to Macs command unit “by personal request”- name withheld.

Again, as Little_Nemo says:

So this is why we’re giving him shit and I’m mocking him for this “special knowledge.” This is not the first WWII thread he’s hijacked, as anyone who has ever encountered him on the Dope can imagine.

All I want (and I’m sure that a lot of other WWII buffs agree) is that he drop this stupid hijack of WWII threads and stop claiming a greater sense of importance of his father’s role. If his father served in WWII, then great, wonderful. We are appreciative of the service, but stop the fucking hijacks.

In the latest WWII thread, which was active up to last month, DD finally got overly enthusiastic about his father’s war record and made the claims which can be shown to not be realistic.

His story simply doesn’t make sense. He claims his father was a civilian on December 8th, 1941, arriving as a civilian aircrew for Boeing. What was a manufacturer doing sending a plane into an expected war zone? This itself is improbable but not completely impossible. But it’s only the first of many increasingly more improbable as well as virtually impossible steps. How many of things can happen to one person?

Father volunteers. OK, he obviously can’t be sent back for basic training, and rather than the logical step of being assigned to the US Far East Air Force where his training as an experience flight crew (if that is accurate) would be useful, he is placed as a raw recruit in GHQ where – despite knowing nothing of military life – not only doesn’t get underfoot or cause problems in one of the most chaotic periods of US military history, he somehow gets noticed by the senior officer staff and later in the war he was “pulled back to Macs command unit “by personal request”- name withheld.

His latest “cite” in this thread is equally problematic and as is typical of DD, it actually hurts his case more that it helps. He’s claiming that his father’s medical evacuation from the Philippines was arranged by his father’s B-17 “buddies”. Many problems with this.

First, the B-17s were 600 miles away in Minadao and there was a complete blockage in place. How does he get down to Minadao? I already demonstrated that was impossible for a raw recruit. How does someone suffering from malaria travel there?

How does he become buddies with the bomber crew in the two or three days before they are withdrawn Luzon?

The longer he is in GHQ, the more impossible it is for him to get out. As a civilian-recruit, how can he get from Luzon to Midanao? Everyone was bugging out December 11 - 12, three to four days after he arrives in PI.

By December 25, it was completely impossible.

He’s a civilian on December 8th. All forms of escape are essentially gone by December 12. But he’s in GHQ for (not stated) days, enough to get noticed by name withheld for doing some sort of outstanding job.

As I wrote last time, there were 24,000 American and Filipino defenders with Malaria at the time. Why could he leave? Whose naked pictures did his father have? It doesn’t make sense.

I enthusiastically agree that someone doesn’t understand the term “scuttlebutt,” but sadly, it may not be someone who never wore a uniform who was confused.

As I quoted earlier, this is what DD stated in August last year:

One of these statements is not like the other. Could it be the one which suggests a personal relationship with “Doug”.

DD’s story is evolving from when he wanted his father to be seen as a insider, an player. All the weasel words now don’t take back the pages of searchable posts. He wrote what he wrote.

Technically, “scuttlebutt” is the water cooler itself. Or, in my – admittedly limited – experience, the water fountain.

The name for the object gave us the name for “rumors”.

Scuttlebutt does mean idle chatter, gossip or rumors. People gather at the water fountain to idly chat. It was a very common Navy term, not so sure about other services.

Another fun Navy term: this is a “cadillac”. Surprising what sticks in one’s head after three decades.

I actually forgot that one. And of course that works well with a swab.

So that’s the scuttlebut on the origin of the term scuttlebut?