I pit DrDeth

So to Scuttle a ship (sink) you put a hole in it below the waterline.
Butt stood in for water cask.
Scuttlebutt was a tapped water cask which was eventually replaced with the water fountain.

Not sure when scuttlebutt came to mean idle chatter. Probably not in the days of Wooden Ships and Iron Men.

I wonder is cadillac was just a refence to best mop bucket Uncle Sam could buy or that is was shiny like a brand new 50s Chrome covers Cadillac?

I hear cadillac and I think sonobuoy, but my mind is just warped like that.

Gedunk is my favorite Navy term. Means a vending machine, or a little canteen where you can get cheap food, or the food itself, or anything that is easy (a gedunk medal, for example)

Some people actually get gedunk medals for restocking the gedunk with gedunk.

Expected War zone? You do know that the USA was caught by total surprise

He was assigned to the US Far East Air Force. He wasnt assigned to the HQ until later after he got back from the states.

Because he was in Minadao already?

But here you go ahead, stating bullshit as facts, when i totally proved you were a fucking liar.

The entire FEAF was sent to Australia. Brereton and the remnants of FEAF were transferred to Australia.

The thing is, I don’t give a shit either way. DrDeth may be lying about his dad. His dad may have lied about his service. DrDeth may be misremembering some key dates. His dad may have misremembered key dates. TokyoBayer may be misunderstanding some key dates. I don’t care.

These things are true:

1. There are no circumstances under which an anonymous poster on a messageboard will persuade anyone of a Massive Conspiracy In History based on their claims about their dad’s claims about his service. None.
  2. Going through and dissecting the claims is incredibly tedious and, because of point 1, unnecessary.
  3. Continually mocking DrDeth’s dead father is shitty.

And what is cool now, is that you have been proven here to be

1. A fucking coward. You knew i did not like to post in the pit , so that is where you choose to debate me. The reason why Mac was “taken by surprise” could certainly be debated in GD or another forum, but instead you choose to spread your bullshit here. Then when I sent you links via PM you complained to the Mods I was harassing you, rather than either admit you were wrong or simply blocking me.

2. A total bullshitter that makes shit up and submits it as fact. Sure, my Dads theory is doubtful, but I presented it as a crazy theory , a watercooler rumor. You claimed as fact no one could have possibly gotten out of the Philippines after Dec 8, unless they were on the PT boat with Mac. I have proven you wrong- the entire US Far East Air Force was transferred to Australia. But now you have revealed yourself as a bullshitter that makes shit up and passes it as fact, trying to pose as some sort of expert. You still keep harping on “there was a complete blockage in place” while my cite proves you totally, completely utterly wrong. Try some cites instead of bullshit.

3. The kind of ratfucking asshole who would insult someones dead father. Which is against the rules, but nothing will be done about it.

I don’t feel that questioning the accuracy of the posts that you have made about your father is an insult to him or his memory.

While someone may have insulted your dad somewhere in this thread, the vast majority are making fun of you. People aren’t calling your father a REMF or saying he wasn’t a real soldier because he wasn’t in combat. They are making fun of your supposedly top secret insider info that no WWII historian has been able to uncover, despite decades of research. Maybe you should call them up and tell them they have it all wrong.

And your insistence on referring to MacArthur as Doug. You are probably the only person in the world, outside of family or friends, to call him that. Hell, maybe even they called him Douglas.

This is a DrDeth thing, not an other poster thing. You always barge into threads with your “special insider knowledge”, whether it’s your dad’s stories or flashing your “fed” badge. Just stopping asserting that your opinion is the only opinion that counts would do wonders for your posting experience. You act like every position you take is a life or death matter. You can admit a mistake every once in a while, or concede you overstated something. Ease up and enjoy the board, posting here should not be something that causes you this much stress.

He accused my Father of Stolen Valor. Not only a insult but a crime,

For getting a few participation medals.

No such thing. Instead my dad heard a cool watercooler rumor he liked the sound of. It is even plausible, although doubtful. However, no researcher has come up with the real reason so far.

Doug, Mac, Dugout Doug. If you google Dugout Doug that is a very common nickname for him.

You are aware Dugout Doug was an insult, right? And those were names he was called by his contemporaries, not by the son of one. The only reason you seem to have to call him Doug is it makes you seem to have a close relationship with him.

I didn’t read it this way at all. I read it as an accusation against you, puffing up your father’s service record and military history in order to cloak yourself in an aura of importance. Which, considering how you have backpedaled from your initial insinuations that your dad was at Macarthur’s right hand to your current very vague version of whatever happened, is not an unreasonable interpretation.

To be fair to DrDeth, I read all references made to “Doug” as being dismissive; a quasi insult, not an attempt to imply closeness.

No, TokyoBayer has laid out why the information you gave about your father’s service doesn’t add up. It’s irrelevant to the discussions at hand as well, but that’s another issue. Who made the mistake about his service isn’t really important, but you’re the one presenting the information. There’s no way anyone here can figure out where the miscommunication happened between your father, you, and this message board. It’s not important that we get to the bottom of it. But it’s more than enough to dismiss any information you bring to those threads.

You can’t have it both ways.

You brought up his medals to give credibility to your stories, but now they’re “participation” prizes. You implied he heard these theories while your dad was working closely with Doug but now it’s water cooler rumors. When called out on artificially inflating your dad’s relationship and access you start walking it all back.

That tracks…

This.

Hell, simply acknowledging that whatever you find via Google might not be accurate would go a long way toward your credibility.

And this.

They sorta are. I should type out Dugout Doug.

No, he has not. He simply spewed lies and bullshit and my cite showed he was totally, utterly wrong.