I put my cat to sleep last night.

I put my cat to sleep last night. It was a really sudden decline. On Wednesday she seemed to favor a leg, by Saturday she couldn’t move at all. I took her to the vet and held her as she died. The vet thinks it was either kidney failure or undiagnosed cancer. She said the prospect for recovery was minimal. She was nearly 18 years old. I’ve had her since she was 6 months.

I realize with all the trauma people face, some of you may think it’s ridiculous to feel bad about a cat. But she was my cat, and has been a constant in my life for a long time. I feel sad, and my apartment seems empty.

R.I.P. Zoe, you were a good companion.

Larry, I’m so sorry. I had to have my cat Lilo put down due to liver failure in March. It’s not ridiculous to be sad. My daughter and I cried our eyes out that night.

Aww, so sorry Larry. Zoe was lucky to have a caring human for such a long time. Hugs.

{{{{{Larry}}}}}

It sounds like Zoe had a long, happy life. You have every right to be sad at losing your companion of 18 years.

I’m so, so sorry :frowning: You’re in my thoughts.

I know what you mean, feeling like you have to be sheepish about mourning for a pet. Some people don’t understand. I do. My pets are part of my family and I know that the grief is very real, lasting, and painful. You have all my sympathies. Also, my respect. Eighteen years is an excellent lifetime for a cat. You did a great job caring for her.

Sorry to hear that. My first Christmas present last year was getting to take my cat to the vet to have him put down.

It’s really difficult, even when you see it coming.

My condolences, Larry. My first post here as a member was about my having to do the same thing, for my beloved Mao. Just because they aren’t human doesn’t mean we can’t love our pets.

I’m very sorry for the loss of your dear cat, Larry. She had a good long life and was dearly loved. Can’t ask for more than that.

I’m such a baby when it comes to losing animals. Twice at work I nearly burst into tears when one co-worker struggled to casually mention his 20 year old cat had passed away through the night, and when another co-worker had to make the decision to put her dog down.

sniffle

Thanks for all the kind words. She really was a good cat. She was really bold and friendly, always coming out to investigate guests. We used to have big parties back in the day and she’d just sit in the center of the room and check everyone out. She got rid of the mice that plagued my apartment, and lowered the bug population. She’d always follow you around and want to know what you were doing. She even got me free tickets to a couple of shows, as the person who gave her to me went on to become the alcohol buyer for the 930 club, which is a large concert hall in DC.

Don’t apologize for feeling bad about this. It’s a very tough thing. We went through it last year. Maybe some people don’t get attached to their pets but that doesn’t mean it isn’t alright for you to feel very close to yours.

I’m sorry for your loss. Zoe sounds fun. I’ve lived with a number of cats over the years and only one of them ever did anything other than run away and hide when people came over.

She sounds like a neat cat. Can you post a link to a picture, so we can see what she looked like?

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Sending supporting thoughts your way.

I’m so sorry. I don’t feel that mourning a beloved pet is ever ridiculous. Your feelings for a pet are just as valid as other people’s feelings for (whatever they mourn).

Rest peacefully, Zoe.

I’m so sorry, Larry.

So sorry - it is wonderful to have a companion like that for so long.

My little old lady cat, Dotty, was over 20 when I finally did the decent thing and let her go. It was cancer and it was eating away at her dignity as well as her body. No cat ever wants to lose their dignity. So it was right but I still bawled like a baby. And I will never apologize for mourning a companion of one-third of my life.

I am sorry for your loss. :frowning:

I am so very sorry ** Larry.**

I campaigned for three years when I was a kid to convince my dad to let me get a cat…he said he hated cats and would never have anything to do with them…

And when i was eight years old, my mother finally “over-rode” his protests and I got Pepper.

I am 30 years old. Pepper died 4 years ago. She lived with my parents after I went away to college and my dad was her best friend. He refused to even talk about her passing. He would “baby-talk” her as long as he thought nobody was looking. He adored her. They were thick as thieves. He took her death harder than I did. He still gets very quiet when her name comes up.

You never realize how closely your pets wind their way around your heart til they are gone. Never be ashamed or embarrassed that you feel as sad as you do when they go. They are part of the family and part of your life and they give you unconditional love. It would be hard for me to find a person who has as much affection for me as my two feline boys…they are irreplaceable.

Your Zoe is chasing eternal catnip right now. R.I.P. Zoe. :frowning:

Sorry to hear about your sweet Zoe, Larry.

Larry, I’m so sorry for your loss. I had to do the same thing this last December.
Peace to you.