I quit

That’s right. After 14 years of being a smoker(and I’m only 27), I’ve set my quit date for this coming Sunday. I’ll be going cold turkey-even with patches/gum/prescriptions I’d eventually have to smoke the last one, so why not drop from almost 2 packs a day to none all at once? Plus, I really just don’t want to anymore.

I’ve done it before, for a year, then started dating a smoker, and picked it back up again.

I’ve downloaded my silkquit meter-it currently shows -1 day, -23 hours -3 minutes until I quit(it’s actually less-I think it assumed that today was just starting, because my computer clock is right).

This is huge-I’ve made vague attempts before, but I wasn’t serious. I’ve been smoking for so long that it’s part of my identity. Any advice, websites, or general encouragement would be appreciated.

I’ve been taking off weight-what’s the best way for me to avoid putting on weight while I go through the worst of the cravings?

Wow…I’m nervous about quitting, but at the same time, I’m excited. Make sense?

Makes perfect sense, Lsura. And congratulations infinite times for making the decision. I had to watch my Granddad die from smoking, it wasn’t pleasant.

If you need a sponser, kind word, or just somebody to yell and scream at, drop me a line at Mojo530@aol.com. Best of luck!

-Walt

Keep posting about it k?

Same offer as Jester- eddrress is in the profile
(looooong-time smoker- quit last year for almost 6 months, wants to again)

We sound like the same kind of smoker. I’ve been smoking since I was 13 too. Never tried to quit, but somewhere in the back of my mind it’s always there.

I know what you mean by part of your identity too. I once had a girl tell me that I every time she saw me smoking she wanted to smoke because I looked like I was enjoying it so much.

My friends would probably have a hard time believing me if I told them I quit.

I’m a couple years older than you, and I’ve just been waiting for the feeling of wanting to quit. You can’t quit if you don’t want to.

When I get that feeling, I’ll be going cold turkey too. Real smokers don’t do things halfway. You either smoke or you don’t. A pack a day or none at all. Regardless of your practice, you will always be a smoker. Maybe just not smoking.

You got that quitting feeling. I’m jealous.

Good luck!

I quit once for 14 months, then started again when I thought I could get away with smoking a cigar while on a camping trip.

IOW: Guard your non-smoking status jealously.

Good luck, Lsura.

Good on you lsura. I quit 6 months ago so I know how hard it can be. I went to a hypnotheripist (sp?) and it really helped. The weight thing is difficult, but if it happens concentrate on one thing at a time, quitting, and then worry about the weight once your over the worst. I’m on Dr Atkins diet now, glad I’m an ex-smoker and now losing the weight.
The best advice you’ll hear is what Rysdad said:

Same thing happened to me, quit for 14 months thought I could have one, back on again for a good few years.

Another thing that helped me was constantly thinking about the reason I gave up, and I kept telling myself its now or never, if I have one I’m never going to be able to give up and then picture myself as an old lady puffing away. Hee hee sounds silly but it worked for me.
Ok, I’m babbling now I’ll shut up :smiley:

Good luck

Stick to it.

I started at fourteen and quit in my fifties. The rewards have been fantastic.

Best wished for success to you.

I’ve been smoking for about 10 years. I truly want to quit – even tried (well - I considered it trying). Managed to go until 4:00 one day and then -of all things- I got nervous about how bad I was going to feel and well… My list of reasons why I want to quit – not nessasarily in the right order:

1. MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!

2. clothes/car won’t smell like smoke

3. the taste of food will improve (I’ve heard)

4. hi opal

5. My parents/family will get off my back

6. And just generally I feel guilty about a child seeing me smoke - like I’m setting a really bad example and now that child is going to think that smoking is alright and will therefore become a smoker. (oh-the guilt)

7. I guess I should include the personal health reasons… although thats never been a main reason to quit for me.

Please let me know if I missed some. Need all the help I can get… Smoking has really become like a friend to me (only a smoker could understand that statement)

So - good luck Lsura. Please email me if you want to talk about it. And please keep us posted here on how things go.

Thanks, y’all. I’m less than 24 hours away, and I’m looking forward to it. I also know that I have to wake up tomorrow morning with no cigarettes in the house. From my past experiences at attempting to quit, I know that the first day is the worst for me. If I have none in the house, I can continue to put it off. As soon as I have that first one in the morning, I will be in agony for the rest of the day if I don’t have any.

I’m running all my errands today, so that I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow if I don’t want to. Going to stock up on grapefruit juice and the pre-peeled/sectioned grapefruit that they keep in the produce area. Again, from past experience, that has helped me with cravings. Don’t know why-but 8oz of the juice knocks a craving back like you wouldn’t believe.

inor-I’ll keep you posted. Shoot, I’ve got to bitch somewhere, and my friends(mostly non-smokers) have no sympathy at all. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lsura, just wanted to wish you well and pass on some advice I read once. Change your routine as much as possible. Substitute tea for coffee, or eat in the living room rather than your usual spot. Don’t go to your favorite restaurants for a while–find some new ones. A friend of mine swore by this method.

All the best to you. You should be proud of yourself for doing this.

Good Luck, Lsura, and congrats!!

Lsura, guess what? I’m quitting tomorrow, too! :eek: (again.) I have quit for as long as two years before & started up again.

Honest to God(dess), e-mail me if you need a quit smoking buddy. I’m going to be going through a case of Altoids & a bushel of little plastic straws in the next month. I’ve been through this so many times before I’m getting REALLY tired of it!

You GO girl!

Right back at ya. :slight_smile:

Good luck!
Hmmm…I hadn’t thought of Altoids and plastic straws…maybe I need to go back out to the store today.

One more thing…weight gain. Once I did gain [sub]twenty five pounds. [/sub] Swore I would never ever gain weight again like that. Subsequent quits, I actually lost weight each time. Since of course eating makes one want a smoke, I just ate much less frequently. Hence the plastic stir straws! :smiley:

Good luck, Lsura, Carina42, and everybody else who’s trying to quit.

I started smoking when I was 12–over 24 1/2 years ago. In all that time I haven’t been able to go more than 60 hours without a smoke. I understand callie’s comment about smoking being like a friend perfectly.

I hope you guys can do better.

One thing that always helps with the cravings is brush your teeth when you want to smoke. Something you do with your hands and mouth while still not eating can be very comforting. (You do get strange looks if you do it while driving, but hey it’s a hell of a lot better for you than smoking!) You don’t even have to do it with toothpaste, just dry brush em. You dentist AND doctor will thank you for it. :smiley:

grrr…“your dentist, etc”.

Preveiw=Friend

Lsura, I dug up this old thread for you, take a look if it helps, I was the original OP, (Wendy1) and Ironside certainly kept me motivated, I read his reply everyday for ages,
http://www.digitalcrowd.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=706&pagenumber=1

I forgot to mention- when I quit last year, it was the first time since I was a youngun that I was doing absolutely no drugs whatsoever (except for my asthma)

But.

I was determined and all that , and I was soo focused on that first day, the second day almost got me- i hadn’t thought ahead…

So think ahead a little uh? Helps keep the resolve going, instead of being taken by suprise, with all that resolve down around your ankles…
Pullin for ya

mike/inor

If I can do it, anyone can do it, Lsura

TIME ELAPSED SINCE I QUIT SMOKING:
Ten months, three weeks, two days, 1 minute and 53 seconds.
13160 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,645.21.
Extra life saved: 6 weeks, 3 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes.

See my Sig File FAQ: http://pages.prodigy.net/briank.o/SigFAQ.htm