I rode a Harley V-ROD today!

I rode a Harley-Davidson VRSC-A (V-Rod) today! It was exilirating. I rode it around my platt, obeying the 25MPH speed-limit (mostly)

A few details that made it more exhilirating for me:

1. Very first time on a big motorcycle. I had a mini-bike as a kid.
  2. I have no driver’s license-let alone a motorcycle endorsement.
  3. The bike is MINE! Paid cash, put in girlfriend’s name.

It was delivered to my house at 5:30 tonight. I walked it down to Carmel’s to show it off. I started it up for the first time in the parkinglot and rode it around the building a few times. I then rode it home and then rode it around the neighborhood. It is astoundingly easy to drive. I am 6’ tall and medium build and the seating position is very low to the ground.

I put it in the garage and promised myself I would not ride until I get my license back in three months, take a safety course, get a helmet and get a motorcycle endorsement.

One more thing, it has a factory Orange Ghost Flame paint-job!

Sorry to be such a party-pooper, but a beginner has NO place on a 1000cc motorcycle. Have fun dumping it.

It’s closer to 1200CC and I am really trying not to do that, although I nearly dropped it at the dealership when they were showing me the items on the bike. I am going to enroll in the two day motorcycle safety course at the Beavercreek YMCA. They give you a 400cc or so bike to use on the course. It handles like a really heavy bicycle. The pivot point of the forks is eally close to the frame on this model and makes it very easy to ride. I wont lull myself into a false sense of security by the easy handling. I know I have no business on the open road without lots of practice.

I was forbidden to own a motorcycle while living at home. I’m turning 40 in less than two years. I had to do it.

Good on you, johnboy -

You’ll probably get a lot of people warning you that you’re going to drop it - there is the adage “There are those who have dropped their bikes, and those who haven’t . . .yet”. So long as you’ve got a bike to drop, then good for you!

Congratulations!

[sub]It may seem ridiculous, but y’might. . . might consider getting some other bike to ride on for the first while, a bike to “practice” on. Maybe in the 600-700cc range, maybe $2000 worth of used ? It’d just seem like a shame to mess up on a V-Rod![/sub]

Congratulations… but do be careful. That bike sounds like a hell of a handful. I started riding 1.5 years ago, and still make do with my 600CC Yamaha Diversion, which can be challenging enough for someone with little experience.

And that’s after 25 1 hour riding lessons and an official exam, costing me about $1200 in total.

bolding mine
Just curious, but where’d your license go? And why buy a bike at least 3 months before you can ride it. Temptation is thine enemy, my friend.

Look inot fitting some crash mushrooms, at least until you are used to the ride and handling.

They usually bolt somewhere on to your engine mounting points and stick out so that it you should drop it, usually in low speed manouevers such as U-turns, it prevents expensive damage.

They probably won’t look too cool on this particualr bike, they are not very cheap either, but you will lay the bike down and in an instant they will pay for themselves several times over.

Harley probably already produce some sort of crash bar as an add-on, that exhaust looks extremely expensive to replace and looks like it will be the first thing down in a slide.

Even if it costs a couple hundred dollaros it is still a bargain, particularly for a newbie rider.

Thanks for all of the encouragement. The bike is a docile as a kitten (under 4000RPM) I have not been out of the plat yet. I’m done testing it. The way this thing is designed, it rides like a really heavy bicycle under 40MPH. I haven’t hit countersteer territory yet and I won’t until I get more experience.

I walked into Aces and Eights HD two Sundays ago and was smitten with the paint job. I had some money set aside to put down on a car (finance 15-25K + 20K down). It went towards the bike. I’m looking for a nice used car right now. Something in the 10K range.

I lost my license in May of 94 (3rd DUI in a 5yr period in OHIO) My license was suspended for two years by Vandalia, OH and indefinately (pending completion of Habitual Offender Drug/Alcohol requirements) by the state of Ohio. Basically, I was required to attend alcohol re-hab and maintain sobriety for 6 Mos. I stopped drinking in Feb 2002 and attended the rehab (3 day weekend intervention program at WSU) in Jan. 2003. My doctor agreed to sign the form stating that I have been free from drugs/alcohol for the 6 mo. period ending June 2003. I haven’t touched alcohol since I quit and I had one doobie on new year’s eve.

I saw the bike and I wanted it. My girlfriend agreed to title it and obtain insurance in her name until I get my stuff straightened out. She encouraged me to go ahead with the purchase but said that she never would have agreed to it if I was still drinking. I don’t miss alcohol but I do have somewhat of an addictive personality, Cigarettes, Halls Mentholyptus (sugar free!) Sleep, Simpsons, Pizza: They are all my best buds now. The bike is more of a recreational item than transportation right now (and in the forseeable future as I do not intend on driving it on the highway. It’s only for showing off to my family and friends. My main vehicle will be one that has four doors, at least four seatbelts and can haul my yard waste, and failed construction projects to the dump.

Thanks again all and sorry for the delay. I was up late last night when I posted and BellSouth has blocked the StraightDope. At least they are good sprots and let the Dilbert/United Media website though!

Congrats! - that’s definitely the coolest bike to come out of Milwaukee for a looong time.

Just be friggin’ careful, OK ?

casdave has some good ideas as to how to protect your investment. Even a low-speed drop on a bike like that is an expensive undertaking.

I completely understand the “I-just-have-to-own-it” sentiment - just don’t go and break the bike (or your bones) learning the ropes. It’s not the recommended way to go about these things, but you know that. (At least it’s not some GSX-R 1000 like hypersportsbike.)

Keep the rubber side down, take your time before opening the floodgates, have fun.

And here I was, thinking that Homer was back at the boards!

Hey WMulax93, you got your wish! I just dropped the bike! I was stopped at a stop sign and had the clutch in and I was worried about crushing my cigarette, so I moved my right hand over to grab the cig and forgot about what I was doing and the bike tipped to the right. It landed on the right footpeg and the motor stopped (built-in anti-moron protection I guess!) The rubber footpeg cover was slit by the cement and I need a new one. They are only sold in pairs and I can’t find just the cover. Chrome end footpegs are $21.95 a piece. I wasn’t going to start buying accessories yet (although the $24.95 chrome dipstick with temp guage looks tempting!) I guess I just had a MasterCard Moment:

1. 2003 100th Anniversary V-ROD with factory custom paint and 7 YR extended warranty - $23,627.86

2. Cost of being an idiot - $43.90

3. Ability to afford to be an idiot - Priceless!

Well, sorry you dropped it. At least you’re all right, and those are cheap, easily replaceable parts.

I hope this is your only drop, but I still think some time on a 500 would be worth it to you. If you have the money, buy a cheap old small bike to resell to some kid when you’re done with it.

If not, just be careful with that right hand. Don’t twist it too far back :wink:

I hear ya’ wmulax93. The course I signed up for (earliest opening in mid Sep.) will have a Fri. night of classroom instruction and 8 Hrs. of riding (parking lot type agility course) each on Sat. and Sun. The good thing about it (like you and others have been saying) is that they provide the bikes (300-500cc types) that are more suited for beginners. I will admit that the Harley is a handful even at low speeds (in my case, stopped even.)

It will be a long road to motorcycle competence and safety for me. One of my workmates rode his cycle to Key West after not having owned it for very long. That is not for me. It will be a very long time before I venture out on the freeways. There are enough unexpected dangers in the city and suburbs.

Later!

Dude, don’t smoke while riding. You need all the concentration you can get focused on riding, especially as a novice, and especially on a heavy bike like that. And yes, motorbikes shut off automatically when they fall on their sides. Not so much moron protection, as fire protection: a tank leak and a running engine do not mix.

I’m glad your bike wasn’t damaged heavily. Be careful out there, OK?

If you can afford 23 kilobucks for a motorcycle, you can afford something smaller to learn on!

You might want to look at a Royal Enfield Bullet Base price is $3,999. You can get an electric start option in addition to the kick-starter for a couple-hundred bucks more ($4,299). You have the choice of the Classic, which is available in black, red, British racing green or blue; the Deluxe, which has a colour-on-chrome tank and other chrome bits (such as fenders); or the Military, which is olive drab – including the engine – and can be fitted with metal panniers. Sidecars are available. Royal Enfields can be modified/accessorized into CAFE racers or trials bikes too.

The Bullet is 500cc. Top speed is about 75 mph. It would be a good bike to learn on. It’s inexpensive, and it totally looks cool. :cool: Plus there aren’t all that many of them in the U.S. (There are many dealers, but not as many as the HYKS bikes or Harley Davidson. But they’re not California-legal, so they have to be brought in “used”. :wink: ) So it would be unique. So with one of these you can learn how to ride and still look dashing.

Of course a smaller, used Japanese bike is the more logical option; but I’d personally go for the Bullet just to be different.

(Re: Harleys in general. Personally, I’d rather spend $11,000 for a Yamaha R1. Gotta have that speed, maneuverability, and power!)

[quote]
I’m done testing it. The way this thing is designed, it rides like a really heavy bicycle under 40MPH. I haven’t hit countersteer territory yet and I won’t until I get more experience.[/quote[

This makes me think you don’t completely understand what countersteering is. Anytime you’re going over ~20 you’re countersteering. And you can do it below then too. If you’re doing ~40, you definitely are. Experience has nothing to do with it. You have to use it if you want to turn a bike.

-Mod