I sold my rental house

Today I put my rental house on the market. There were 6 showings immediately and 2 offers. I accepted one for $5K offer my asking price! The cash buyer wants to close in 10 days, providing the inspection is sound. No financing - their house burned down a few weeks ago and they just got the insurance check and want to settle ASAP. Woot!

StG

Good for you! The stars lined up on that one. Where do you live? It took me two months to sell my house here in Montana, but nobody wants to buy a house and move during the winter. Fortunately, the buyer lives around the block so it’s not much of a move. I, OTOH, am moving 130 miles south, but the weather has finally turned nice, so the move won’t be as bad as it could have been.

Congratulations! Was your rental unoccupied, or are there currently tenants? If so, will the new owners simply take over the current lease? Or are the new owners buying it to live in for themselves?

I live in Middle Tennessee, the house being about 35 miles from downtown Nashville. And blocks away from the local state university.

StG

I’d allowed my niece to live there for a year and a half rent mostly rent-free as she got back on her feet after a divorce. Finally I told her she needed to find a place, since at that point she’d “graduated” to paying about 1/3 of the going rent. A couple weeks doing some minor repairs and getting it ready. I had it listed with a broker for investment properties at first, but investors want to be able to make a profit. I consulted a realtor, and she advised me to take one of the lowball offers from the investors. I consulted a different realtor, and he ended up getting $45K more than the lowball offers.

Here’s the listing.

StG

So their house burned down just before you put your house on the market? Hmmm… strange coincidence … :wink:

Congrats! It’s good to get that done quickly and avoid a bunch of headaches.

I lived right near there the couple of years I lived in M’boro. Was a decent area at the time (the mid/late 90s). Haven’t been back since, so can’t speak to it now, of course! Looks like it was a nice little place.

Congratulations on the sale. We’re about to sell, and our realtor assures us our house will sell fast. But we need a suitable house to open up in our new town, so I’m not sure I want it to sell all that fast.

It’s a nice little neighborhood, and getting nicer as time goes by and prices get higher. Fewer college rentals, more owners. Very convenient to everything in M’boro and easy to jump on I24 to get into Nashville, or even I40.

StG

Thunderation!
Do we both live in Blue Raider Country?
Within walking distance of each other?

I actually live in Readyville - between M’boro and Woodbury in Rutherford County. This was my rental house, which was over by Medical Center & Memorial, a block away from the Boys & Girls club.

StG

PARTY–PARTY–PARTY

We were landlords for ages and ages, and unloading our rentals was like climbing out of a big hole and finally seeing sunlight.

Of course, all our renters were crazy aliens from outer space.

~VOW

Wow, houses are cheap there (I looked at other listings before declaring this).

Congrats on the sale!

Possible Doper Face-To-Face?
Cracker Barrel or the City Cafe?

BE ADVISED :
Tennessee has low wages, and serious Corruption issues.

Do you have “chains” in the USA? Here in the UK, a common problem for people trading up or down is that their buyer probably needs to sell their own property to finance the purchase.

If that is the only “link” no problem. But the buyer’s buyer may well be in the same situation, and the people you are buying from may also have to complete a purchase which depends on you completing…

Nevermind discourse

So, hiccup. First buyer has backed out less than 24 hours after signing contract. However, showings continuing and realtor says there’s another contract to be submitted. Reminding me that a sale isn’t a sale until the check clears.

StG

Good luck!

Had they given you earnest money?