I’ve never seen a dog that likes to be a cone head so much

Recently, my dear doggie Misha (Siberian Husky) had a bug bite or something on his ear, so we put his satellite dish/cone head thingy on his noggin so that he’d stop scratching at it. He loves wearing it. He whacks it into stuff, the wall, furniture, anything really, with aplomb. We have a hard time getting it on him, simply because he’s so excited (we’re talking tail on ‘high’ hardly able to keep still joy). Fortunately he’s feeling better, but he’s so silly to see when he runs around in it. If/when your bucket o fuzz has to wear one, how to they handle it?

My lab acts like he’s all embarrassed by having to wear one. He absolutely REFUSES to look at anyone.

He also manages to run into everything and everyone when he has that damn thing on. Fortunately, it’s been a few years since he’s had to wear one.

We had a Shi Tzu who, if no one was sitting in her range of conehead vision, would just start howling and crying in the most pitiful manner imaginable, even if we were in the room talking to her. We kept just picking her up and turning her to face the directions where we were just to get her to chill out.

Fortunately it has been a long time since I’ve had to use an Elizabethian collar on one of my cats, but I think I still bear the scars from the last time. Those dirty looks can draw blood! Nothing pisses a cat off more than being made to look undignified.

My dog would walk into a wall and just stay there. Sealed in. So sad. So hopeless. No love left in a harsh cold universe.

Poor dog, but this mental image is cracking me the hell up.

My dog always managed to run straight into the back of our legs…especially if we were wearing shorts. I guess that is payback for leaving the door open just slightly so that she got her head stuck but her legs kept moving…

Man I’ve never posted such a lame post but…

LMAO

My thought on reading that was, That’s exactly how I feel a lot of the time. Maybe I need one of them cones.

My dog had to wear one once because she had a wound and it was horrible.

She seems to have taken it as a punishment. She tood stock-still after I put it on her, looking at me with pleading eyes. She hunched down into a cowering position and stayed that way until I couldn’t stand it any more and took it off. I had to put it back on her when she started chewing at the wound again, with the same results: Her ears were plastered back against her head, and she just stood there, in the center of the living room, trying desperately to communicate through a submissive posture that she was sorry for whatever she had done. In a short time, those agonized eyes broke my resolve and off came the cone. Once more she chewed, and once more I tried to get her to wear it, petting her and cooing at her to show her I wasn’t mad, to no avail.

When I took it off the third time, she never even licked the wound again. Sometimes she would start to sniff at it but you could see it in her eyes-- she suddenly remembered the Horrible Collar and would jerk her nose away, wagging her tail in appeasement if she saw a human watching. In essence, she found it to be such a terrible “punishment” that she was quickly trained not to chew on her wound.

My parrot got a cone head collar after cancer surgery. (He tries to untie his stitches) He was quiet enough in the dark, but as soon as it was daylight he flipped onto his back on the bottom of the cage, and just lay rigid, with his wings out to the side and his gaze fixed. We had to remove the collar to get him to do anything but pant. Instead, we made a tube collar out of the cardboard in a roll of tape. It looks like a little whiplash collar, and holds his neck out stiff so he can’t reach his stitches. He just gets crabby and sulky when the tube collar is on. The parrot seems to resent not being able to preen his feathers, and will complain and nudge me until I ruffle its feathers into the “correct” configuration

Tortuga, I want to give your dog a hug or a treat or something. Poor thing!

Lissa, that’s pretty cool how your dog ended up not having to wear one.

Misha is not all better but much better. Thanks for the replies, its more proof that’s he’s a bit of a strange little guy. One thing he loves to do (since he’s a husky and MUST touch someone as often as possible) is come up behind someone when they‘re standing, and squish his noggin into the back of their legs until they open their legs and stand their with his head secured between their knees. He’s just the happiest, most content little guy on the planet then. It doesn’t work to well when he had his cone thing on, all he can do is kind a thump at the back of your legs, my dad’s cool about it and does a kind of interpretive dance (boy did calling it that get me in trouble) until Mish is standing where he wants too. Poor little dog. No one loves him; no one cares. I bet a call is about to go out to the SPCA for how mean we are to him … well right after that call about EddyTeddyFreddy forgetting Ben’s apple. :stuck_out_tongue:

My sister’s dalmatian had to wear one a couple times. Most of the time she would just lie on the floor with her head down. The collar was big enough that it flopped down and left her with just a narrow slit to look out through. Periodically, she would let out a long, heavy sigh. I’ve never heard a dog manage to sound so put-upon.