I Want to Thank You...

At our house for some reason we never go around the table like the Waltons and say what we are thankful for. I would like to but I fear the ridicule of my particularly cynical family, and so never bring it up. They’re wonderful, really. Just not sentimental types.

Is there one thing that you’re especially thankful for this year? There are lots of things to be thankful for every day, of course, but is there something from the last year that really stands out?

Mine would have to be the newest addition to our fast-growing family. In July we gained custody of my husband’s 8 year old son Nick. Things aren’t perfect but they’re definitely getting better.
So it’s a cheesy question. But please keep in mind that my dad would giggle and look at me sideways if I brought it up at the dinner table. :slight_smile:

I’m thankful to be clean, sober, and smoke-free.

Despite what Jim Morrison said, some of us did get out alive.

I’m thankful that I managed to get help for depression.

“Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.” - George Carlin

I am eternally thankful that my husband lived through his motorcycle accident this summer. He truely is the love of my life and I don’t know what I would do without him. I am thankful he was here to aggrivate me all day while I cooked :slight_smile:
Zette

Click here for some GOOD news for a change

Zettecity

I am thankful for going online this year. I had no idea that I would meet so many awesome people.

I am thankful for the StraightDope. The colums are great, and the message board has intellegent, witty, blah blah blah posters, and MPSIMS is a great stress reliever.

I am thankful for meeting CandianSue, online and IRL. She is simply a wonderful person.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

Where to begin?

I am thankful that I have met a wonderful man, who fulfills me in ways I never could have imagined!

I am thankful for having places to go where I am loved, warm, and fed… so many aren’t so fortunate.

And mostly, I am profoundly thankful for the love, friendship and support of so many people: my family… and my friends…Online and real time…

I had NO idea when I first signed up for AOL that it would lead to so many wonderful friendships… :slight_smile: with more developing every day… :slight_smile:

I believe that there is no one more blessed than I am… :slight_smile:

Mom always said there’d be days like this…she just never said there’d be so MANY of them!!!

I am thankful for so many things…

I am thankful that I was given the beautiful gift of my son who loves me as unconditionally as I love him.

I am thankful for the special person in my life who makes me smile and has the strength to stand by me, even when those few and far between insecurities shine through.

I am thankful for the friends in my life, both online and here with me who make every day complete.

I am thankful for the wonderful, loving parents I had who helped to guide me on a path of happiness and love.

And most of all, I am thankful to god for giving me the chance to be a good and caring person and to share a love again.

I am me… accept it or not.

I am thankful to all of you Dopers who put up with me, helped me through a shitty time, will be letting me sleep at your houses next month, and generally show my why I don’t go to any other boards regularly.

I also want to thank one Doper in particular for going above and beyond the call of duty the last couple of weeks. She knows who she is, and I can’t express how much her friendship meant to me during this time…

Yer pal,
Satan

I am thankful for my son. He truly makes the world a wonderful place for me.

This may sound wierd…but hear me out. I am thankful for my divorce. I now have something I never thought I would have again…self confidence.

Thanks,

Daniel

I am thankful that I was able to get out of a bad marriage.

I am thankful that I have my daughter living with me…she is wonderful. I am thankful that my husband hasn’t tried to get sole custody of her.

I am thankful that my husband is trying to make some positive changes in his life…he has stopped drinking and is going to church with my daughter and I …even though I doubt that I’ll go back to him.

I am thankful that I had the foresight to finish college so that I could get a decent job that pays the bills.

–Gail
“Predictable, really I suppose. It was an act of purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place.” --John Cleese

I’d like to say thank you to India.

I’m thankful that my wife is pregnant after 2 years of fertility treatments. None of them worked; we got pregnant naturally while taking the summer off of the hormone treatments.

I am thankful for every day I see a sunrise.
I am thankful for all the experiences I have had over the past year, good or bad, as they have made me grow and I am thankful for my friends and family.

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

I’m thankful to be me. That might sound sorta conceited and self-absorbed, but if I weren’t me, I wouldn’t have Bowen for my son. If I weren’t me, I wouldn’t have my family for a family, nor my friends as friends. I’m thankful that I’m an optimist, and that I’m able to be calm when Bowen hurts himself (three times, just this morning :)), and for so many other reasons.

From this year in particular? I’m thankful that I was able to go to a place I’d never been and hang out with people would not have met without THIS board… and I’m especially thankful to Ukelele Ike for discussing his job and NYC with me, while everyone else was having fun. (Course, it might have been nice if he’d told me his and Flora’s real names so I could buy their books…)

“…all the prettiest girls live in Des Moines…”
–Jack Kerouac, On the Road

I am thankful that God let me be born into such a caring, supportive and wonderful family. Many are not that lucky. They support me in whatever I do even if it is not their wishes and causes distances to be great and a close family to be far.

I have so much to be thankful for, I don’t think I’ll list everything. I’ll just say that I am thankful for everything that has happened to me this year, good and bad, because all of it has made me a better person.

And I’m thankful for the Guy Stuff thread. :slight_smile:

I’m thankful for having such wonderful friends, and for having the courage to finally move out of my parents’ house. And if I pass all my courses I’ll be thankful for that too. :slight_smile:

… falletin me be mice elf again.

I’m thankful for spellchekk

I am thankful for the following, in no specific order:
Edible undergarments
Dental floss
My friends, family, people that aren’t really friends and family
Ferrar Rocher
Camel cigarettes
Jack, Jim, and the gang for many years I have forgotten
Paxil, Zoloft and Lithium for many years I have forgotten
Being able to forget naturally without the aid of pharmaceuticals
What was I thankful for again?
Oh, yeah…PENS. (Because they are multi-purpose instruments with which I can write really pathetic poetry or cause mass destruction)
Strap-ons
Chia pets, heads in particular
Gary Oldman
Fuzzy dice and fuzzy slippers
COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE
And the hole in the floor of my trailer where I put all of the bodies when I am done with them. :slight_smile:

“One evening I pulled Beauty down on my knees.
I found her embittered and I cursed her.”
–Excerpt from Une Saison en Enfer
–A. Rimbaud