I want to turn off my signature and have it stay off

Since the implementation of the new format, I have to manually turn my signature off with every post I make. I’ve tried to turn it off, with no real success.

I’m using IE at work at Chrome at home, and it’s a problem on both.

Advice?

Just delete it from your User CP.

Yeah, that’s what I ended up doing.

Are the moderators going to rescind this rule?

Because I foresee many, many posters inadvertently violating it.

I’d still like to use it on rare occasions, but if it’s not possible, I will end up deleting it.

It would be the sensible and appropriate action so I’m doubtful.

It’s unfortunate that you have such a low opinion of the moderation staff.

To answer the question, while not rescind permanently, it’s not going to be enforced until we get the signature business sorted out.

Gee, thanks.

We’re trying to do the best we can in communicating the problems and helping where we can.

If you have anyone there with access to the AdminCP, it’s a two minute tweak to uncheck the Show Signature box by default. A quick Google turns up many examples, like this, with the basic idea being to just search through the templates for keywords like signature or show_your_signature and delete the word $checked[signature].

For example, in the newreply template, you should see something like:

<if condition="$bbuserinfo['signature'] != ''"><div><label for="cb_signature"><input type="checkbox" name="signature" value="1" id="cb_signature" tabindex="1" $checked[signature] />$vbphrase[show_your_signature]</label></div></if>

Just make it look like:

<if condition="$bbuserinfo['signature'] != ''"><div><label for="cb_signature"><input type="checkbox" name="signature" value="1" id="cb_signature" tabindex="1" />$vbphrase[show_your_signature]</label></div></if>

Yeah, but why try a simple method ? Where’s the challenge ?

You’re right and I apologize.

BigT’s Greasemonkey script works nicely.

I am not a computer person, but in 2 minutes I had it running.

I deleted my signature as well, since I never use it and don’t look at other people’s sigs.

I’m just adding this here because it isn’t entirely off topic. I post very infrequently on this vBulletin forum but more often on another one using similar software. I don’t actually recall what the sig I had on file here was but I posted earlier this evening and my sig from another vBulletin forum was attached to my post.

I have no idea what that is about, I deleted my sig from the User CP and hope that fixes things. But this was sorta weird.