I would prefer to live in a homogeneous neighbourhood, am I evil?

With regards to tim314 for a good OP name. Inspired by some parts of the hatred for suburbs thread.

I am a young professional and once I get off work at night I don’t wan’t to come home to a melting pot of sights smells and sounds. I want to walk on a well trimmed lawn past familiar looking neighbors that I only need to exchange the formal greetings with. I resolve that such wishes do not make me racist or evil, even if me having my way may have a negative impact on minorities and disadvantaged people living else where. What do other dopers think?

i think i want to move to your neighborhood, borrow a tool from ward cleaver, and be the guy who mows his lawn in hawaiian shirt with a pith helmet every saturday morning at exactly 8 o’clock. i think i’ve actually talked to my neighbors a total of 3 times in the last 4 yrs, and that was only when i got some of thier mail. i love it that way. wouldnt change a thing.

That this is an April Fool’s thread?

i’d like to think that there is at least one other person that likes homogeneous neighbourhoods… i would be sad if it was an AF joke…

I don’t see why not wanting to be burdened with vapid social custom is evil. If the neighbor’s a friend, chat with him all you like. If he’s not, a cordial nod or wave should be sufficient with no need for anything more, including getting invited to tedious barbecues and dinner parties and whatnot, just to be neighborly.

If you mean “people who look like you,” then yes, that would appear to be racist or prejudiced in a similar fashion. If you mean something else, “familiar looking” needs to be more clearly defined.

What’s this have to do with homogeneity? It sounds like a stereotype about white people being polite and quiet, compared with ethnics being loud.

I didn’t set out to make this an April fool’s thread. I just read the suburban hatred thread and it almost seemed like I was depriving inner city youths of math books and sentencing them to a life of crime and poverty by indulging my desire for a gentrified and peaceful existence. I disagree with that, I was seeing if anyone had a counterpoint.

It doesn’t make the OP evil. It does sort of make him boring though.

Who wants to exist in the same cookie-cutter existance day in day out with no diversity to experience whatsoever?

Your suburb probably wasn’t gentrified, unless the rural poor were supplanted to make room for you.

By familiar I mean I’ve seen them around the place, I prefer not to have too many strangers wondering around my house. They can be any ethnicity/nationality but there can’t be a stream of strangers constantly passing through, that’s why major cities are right out for me.

Go to DC or NY, there’s always some sort of outdoor performing arts going on, sometimes its guys with violins, other times its guys with traffic cones and a stick. I want my interactions to be limited to a howdy and a nod, I don’t want to become an unwitting concert patron on my way back from work.

I do understand the benefits of suburban life. I lived in downtown Chicago for 3 years and the nonstop sirens and honking drove me crazy. The hustle bustle of Manhattan has no appeal to me. And downtown Tokyo is just madness. My suburban neighborhood is quiet and serene.

My point is that our current “preferences” for suburban neighborhood design (evil or not) are made possible by cheap energy. If there is no breakthrough energy alternative, then another residential lifestyle will be forced on us… whether we prefer it or not.

:smack: That word doesn’t mean what I think it means.

Well, since this does appear to be a real thread (I’m sure this will end well), can you tell me which minorities living in suburbs create a melting pot of sights, smells, and sounds? Which ones don’t trim their lawns? I’m thinking the Italians – when they start cooking with garlic, man, you can smell that several houses away. I guess the quadriplegics may have a hard time trimming their lawn – so if they don’t hire people, they would be disadvantaged people who have a messy lawn.

And, don’t get me started about white people with their barbecues. Every summer, it’s roasted meat smells practically every night!

So, I live in a suburban neighborhood. It’s mostly white, I guess (does Jewish count as white, or is that a minority?), but there are many Asians, Indians, some, but not many, African Americans. I don’t know if any American Indians, and I never see any smoke signals, so there may not be any.

Some lawns are nicely manicured, others more messy, others a total mess. I haven’t figured out which minority or majority to blame for the messy ones yet. It’s pretty quiet, but once in a while you get some suburban punk with his parent’s car, windows open, and stereo blasting.

Are you sure it’s the minorities that bother you, or is it the urban environment? You could live in Brooklyn in a pretty vanilla neighborhood, and it can be noisy and messy. I’m pretty sure you could find poor white areas with messy lawns (maybe even a car on blocks or something like that – gasp!).

Seriously, it looks to me like you’re looking for an affluent suburb, regardless of the background of the residents.

Well, to be fair, throughout much of human history and pre-history, most people spent their entire lives living in the same village or tribe or clan, with people who were all much more similar in appearance and customs and culture than today’s “melting pot.” Maybe we’ve evolved to be comfortable with that, and uncomfortable with too much “diversity”?

That is a good point, but where have you seen a diverse affluent suburban neighborhood (bonus points for actual names and locations)? When I said homogeneous I meant the houses looking the same, the lawns being well trimmed, a sort of strength giving and inspirational conformity. The inhabitants of the houses can be from wherever, but usually they are not.

Well, like I said, it doesn’t make him evil, just human. But I still maintain that eschewing diversity is contrary to intellectual growth … hence: boring.

It is good to hear this, honestly. I kind of wish I knew more people like you in my personal life: where I am is “diverse”, but about certain kinds of opinions there is little diversity.

One of my favorite things is to walk through the park near my apartment at night and be surprised when a concert is going on. The idea of rows of neatly trimmed houses would be a source of crushing despair for me and not inspirational strength through conformity. It takes all kinds to move the world.

I disagree with this 100%. One can embrace diversity of culture without having to live within it 24 hours a day.

Then I’d say you don’t disagree with it 100%. Embracing diversity to any extent isn’t eschewing it at all.

I still maintain,however, that all things being equal (no pun intended) more diversity equals less boredom.

No, just closeted.

::d&r::