Identify that film - within the last 15yrs - black female lead - music executive character

I’ve seen these “Identify that film” Threads get some pretty amazing results considering the lack of details some of the OPs start with. This one’s been bugging me for a long time. I hope someone can identify it.

Having a black female lead should narrow it down a bit, I’d think. It was an American film. It was from the past 15 years but definitely no newer than the past 5 years, probably not newer than the past 10 years. I’d say my best guess would place it from about 2003 or 2004. It was definitely a limited release that played in “art house” type cinemas.

The lead character was a music executive. The plot that I remember was, I’m pretty sure, the “B Plot” (I think the “A Plot” had to do with her personal life). The record company that she worked for had on their roster an R&B vocal boy band that was aging out of the boy band genre. The main character was tasked with figuring out how to get them back to the top of the charts after a string of recent failures.

In the end, she has the idea that the vocal group should record a cover of “Try a Little Tenderness”. The group records the song, it’s a huge hit, and the main character’s bosses are very happy with her… and she probably gets a promotion and finds love or something.

I don’t even remember if I liked the film (I think I thought it was o.k.). The reason why it bugs me so much is because I think of it every time I hear the song “Try a Little Tenderness” and it drives me nuts that I can’t remember the movie.
Any help?

You might see if it’s listed here:

http://www.imdb.com/search/text?realm=title&field=soundtracks&q=try+a+little+tenderness

"Why Do Fools Fall In Love"?
It’s from 1998 with Halle Barry and Vivica A. Fox

Why do Fools Fall in Love with Halle Berry?

That was a pretty good idea for how to look for it but, alas, none of the listed films is the one I’m looking for.

Nope. The plot definitely had nothing to do with Frankie Lymon nor anything to do with settling an estate. It was a 30s-ish woman balancing her career with her personal life, that kind of story.

“Try A Little Tenderness” was famously used in The Commitments, so maybe you’re confusing two movies.

Gonna use my one bump privilege here.
I honestly believe the SDMB is skilled at handling this kind of task far better than has thus far been evidenced in this thread.

C’mon, people! I believe in you!!!

Perhaps it’s I Like it Like That?