If Someone With Medical Issues Says "Don't Cook for Me" Don't Cook For Them!

I’d tack up a sign on my door:

**Extreme allergies
No food allowed

And, please, no knocking on door after 9 pm

Thank you for your consideration**

(you could say “Doctor’s Orders: Extreme Allergies!” if you want)

I have a chronic migraine condition with many, many sensitivities, not just food. I won’t die from anything “normal” that I eat. But it might put me in horrific pain for hours, sometimes days and on some occasions, I may end up in the emergency room.

So I ask people not to cook for me. And there are some people who just won’t accept this. It’s like they take it as a personal challenge. I’ve had meals, desserts, whatever presented to me like it was some wonderful gift they were giving me because they just knew I’d like this thing they made without any of my food sensitivities.

Except people don’t seem to get what the term “processed food” means or what dairy means, or what *sugar *means.

So it puts me in the position of outright refusing to try it - the responses to this vary from disappointment to butthurtness, to seething anger. Or I do try it and have a reaction right away or later after I leave. When this happens, I just don’t say anything. I suffer through the pain they caused and save myself from dealing with their response. I don’t want to hear either the butthurt or the are-you-sure-it-was-my-dish? third degree.

Ugh. Just leave me out of your foodie hobby or whatever gives you the idea that you simply must cook for me. What really sucks is most of these people were just being nice. I wish people would get that “being nice” also means listening to others about their own health.

There’s a difference between an allergy, and an aversion. A lot of people on the internet confuse the two.

I don’t know if Broomstick is one of them, that’s why I asked.

I think that might be a good idea, to offer the person something they CAN do and then if they still persist in trying to do something they should not do, Broomstickcan just write them off and go ahead and be rude because obviously they are just a jerk.

And you are surely right about D’Anconia, too, Ravenman.

First, why the fuck should she owe you an answer?

Second, do you read “anaphylactic shock” and just think, “All my experience and expertise of being an Internet jackhole tells me that this is a food aversion - I bet I can crack the case if I just engage in my 9th threadshit of the day!”

The word “allergy” was mentioned in the first paragraph.

And generally a person doesn’t go into anaphylactic shock if they are just averse to a particular food.

Are you really that dumb?

Here is a direct quote from the person you are belittling:

How about apologizing and/or shutting the fuck up?

An allergy or aversion? So the food that put him/her in the hospital could have just been an aversion? Really? That is one powerful aversion.

Lots of people on the internet sure are stupid.

Nooooo! I will butcher it and cook it but I ain’t eatin’ it. I’m more like Ellie-mae Clampett, I want all them critters for pets.

Yes, but was it diagnosed?

The poster in question has a habit of, um, exaggeration.

There are also medical conditions that are not allergies that still make certain foods deadly. And most folks have no clue as to what an allergy actually even is, so most people asking the question aren’t equipped to understand the answer.

I know Broomie in real life and I know she’s the real deal. So fuck off.

Let’s be fair, I think most people have an aversion to death.

So what you’re trying to say is that you don’t think the OP’s information is trustworthy, and you decided to indicate that by asking the OP for additional information? :rolleyes:

Look, Sherlock, if you don’t believe that Broomstick is telling the truth about having been rushed to the ER in anaphylactic shock due to a life-threatening reaction to a particular ingredient, then why would you believe her if she claimed to have been diagnosed with an allergy by a doctor?
Everyone in favor of saving all the tomatoes Broomstick can’t eat to throw at D’Anconia for being a muddleheaded spiteful twat, please raise your hand.

Usually it pisses me off when people live-quote this guy (I put him on Ignore for a REASON, folks), but this is hilarious.:smiley:

Aye.

I would, but I’ve got lousy aim. I’d probably hit someone I liked, instead.

And like kaylasdad99, I long ago put D’Anconia on Ignore because he’s never added anything to my knowledge or understanding of a subject, and he’s shown himself to be a real ass, to boot. But today’s responses … ah, the responses. :smiley:

She’s admitted, on this board, that she exaggerates for the purpose of telling stories. :rolleyes:

You’re questioning the honor of The Mercotan? You’re a bigger idiot than any of us thought possible.

Oh, just fuck off you useless cunt.