"If you think about it..." "oh just GTF out of here"

I’m guessing the OP has more plastic pocket protectors than friends. With your winning ways you should be teaching. You’d have even stupider people to fuel your rants.

I’ve tried three times on two different computers (at work and at home) to read the OP, and my eyes still cross every time.

Which if you really think about it, isn’t a very good thing…

I was going to ask you if he ever got around to saying it. I guess he didn’t.

Much vitriol, little conveyance of the meaning behind it. Credit for the imagery, though: Who else has ever invoked precambrian molluscs (and sabretoothed ones at that!)? I give it about a 3.5

I can’t figure out how to gasp a concept, and I don’t understand what you’re saying here either. I’m sure there are a number of wonderfully punctuated and coherent sentences in this rant, but I leave them for a more talented Doper than I to pick out.

Got to take your hat off to a guy who can get 45 responses to something that scarcely anyone admits to reading. Mind you, responding to someone you’re not listening to is always that much more fun.

It’s at times like this, after reading the OP’s rant, that I contemplate in quiet reflection the misquoted words of Thom Yorke:

Comma police
Arrest this man
He talks in maths, he buzzes like a fridge
He’s like a detuned radio…

I once saw an engineer use either that phrase, or one very similar, when talking to the machinist milling his part. The look of “I’m going to pull your pancreas through your nostrils” coming from the machinist was priceless. He told the engineer, and I’m paraphrasing here, “You’re a smart guy, maybe you heard of this other smart guy with a cat. He said something about not knowing where exactly his cat was. Your design makes me think you should find his cat, then ask it what to do. [sub]Dumbass[/sub]”

I guess his tolerances were way off, and his notes contradicted his specified dimensions.

I got two sentences into the third paragraph. Meh.

I don’t have a CLUE what that whole cat business is about. That makes no sense to me.

I believe he is referring to Shroedinger (Sorry, I’m too lazy to look up the spelling.)

NaturalBlondChap -
Your post would be better, by at least twicer
If you learned to write nicer

Like the others here, I had a tough time following this rant. But I thought I detected the inklings of both sense and potential entertainment value hidden beneath that wreckage of haphazard punctuation and phrasing. So, I hope you don’t mind, Chap, but I took the liberty of imposing some order and structure on your rant. In so doing, I came to understand it better, and, I think, appreciate it more. I post my results here, so that others might have a second chance to judge your work.

Aholibah, it’s a bit of a nitpick, but the rules of quoting require that words within attributed quote tags not be changed beyond fair use standards. In the case of changing someone’s words to make a point, unattributed quote tags should be used, or with a clear attribution describing what you’re doing. I went ahead and removed the attribution.

Well, OK, I guess I get that, but…WTF? Why would he ask Schroedinger’s cat about his building plan? That sounds like a really awkward and unwieldy line even if it did make sense.

Well, what do you expect from a machinist? They’re all dumb.

</arrogant engineer>

Now I’m feeling insecure - I consider myself a very good reader, and I am just completely not interested in wading through the OP (even your thoughtful rendition, Aholibah). Maybe it’s just too long. Ooh, shiny!

And I don’t understand about the sabre teeth on pre-cambrian molluscs, either.

It’s strange, the OP actually resists being read. It is like it gives off cosmic rays of distraction making even a floating piece of lint more interesting. By the second paragraph it required an iron will to forge ahead. I didn’t make it to the third.

This did give me an idea though. If we could get the OP to write all of our secret documents then we would no longer have to worry about security. We could just put them all out in the public domain and not have to worry about anybody reading them, or at least not understanding what they are about. It is a whole new field of cryptology!

Giraffe, thanks for the gentle reminder. I was aware of that rule, but didn’t take into consideration its bearing on my little copy-editing project. I intended no malice toward the OP, and I will go forth and try to sin no more.

Wow. I got about three quarters of the way through this time, before my brain started to melt out of my ears.