If you were a Napster-type pirate, what songs would you put on CD?

So if , hypothetically of course, you had a brother with a cd burner, and access to napster, what would you put on your mixed cd’s?

I am thinking of an ‘easy listening’ cd with Margaritaville, the Pina Colada song (Escape), Sometimes When We Touch, Against All Odds (Phil Collins)…

Maybe a funky cd with Push It, Good Vibrations (Marky Mark version)Little red Corvette…

Something heavier with some U2, Green Day…

I can never thing of songs when I go to ‘browse’ at napster. I need some ideas big time! (Hypothetically of course)

So, what songs/artists are on your must download list?

Gee, Kelli, in the spirit of the OP, I suggest “A Pirate looks at 40”. I know “He went to Paris” is your sig, but Pirate rocks too.

The first song I ever D/L from Nabster with my SO was out song Inside Out by Eve6. I know it is a creepy song but it wa shte first one we ever sang to at the top of our lungs together. We love the “tie me to the Beeeedpoooost!!!” part
:wink:

my dream CD would have the following songs:

Moscow Nights by the Red Star Army Chorus
Peanut Polka by Brave Combo
Funiculi, Funicula and La Donna e Mobile by Mario Lanza
What shall we do with the drunken sailor
Hey Bulldog by The Beatles
Hawaiian War Chant by Spike Jones
Chant of the Chosen Maidens by Yma Sumac
Tchi Tchi by Tino Rossi
Institutionalized by Suicidal Tendencies
Valentine by Maurice Chevalier

Kelli, since you were here last, we have a new forum called IMHO. It was initiated for just this type of survey as well as debates that aren’t quite great. There’s still a bit of overlap between these forums and its confusing for all of us, but eventually they’ll develop their own flavors. I’m gonna move this thread to IMHO now.

I would suggest you browse some online music stores like CDNOW, Amazon, etc. You can browse by genre to get ideas.

Not that I would ever condone such a practice for music piracy. If you want one song like Margaritaville, you should go out and buy the $15 Buffett CD like the RIAA says. :wink:

[hijack] Can you really burn off napster?[/hijack]

Once you have the files on your hard drive, you can burn them to cd, just like any other file.

So I have heard.

Yep. You just need software to covert from MP3 to CDA (CD Audio) format. If your burner software doesn’t do that, you can use Winamp (among others) to convert MP3 to WAV. I think all burner software will convert WAV to CDA.

Hmmm…

1. One Night in Bangkok–Murray Head
  2. Mummer’s Dance–Loreena McKennet
  3. Veteran of the Psychic Wars–Blue Oyster Cult
  4. Hotel California–Eagles
  5. Circle in the Sand–Bangles
  6. The Ballad of Curtis Lowe–Lynyrd Skynyrd
  7. Save a Prayer–Duran Duran
  8. Comfortably Numb–Pink Floyd
  9. Don’t Fear the Reaper–Blue Oyster Cult
  10. Turn the Page–Bob Seger
  11. Man’s Road–America (The Last Unicorn soundtrack)
  12. Hey Jude–Beatles
  13. Night on Bald Mountain–Mussorgsky

I’ve got this disc already–I burned it off CD’s I’d already bought before Napster came along. You can burn MP3s to a CD, but it’s a data disc; your regular CD player won’t read it. You have to convert it back to CD audio format–there are utilities available for download to do that. Remember that by the time you burn them to an audio CD they’ve been converted (with variable quality) from the original format to MP3 and then back again. You lose some quality with each conversion, I think. I don’t think you’d notice the difference under most circumstances, though–as long as the first conversion was done with the right settings and decent hardware.

I wish I could remember the name of the manufacturer, but there’s a DVD player out there that will play a CD-ROM full of mp3s. (In addition to DVD, CD-Audio, etc)

I haven’t got (or particularly want a cd player), but I’ll point you to some good stuff that I’ve pulled off of Napster.

Velvet Chain (also go to http://www.velvetchain.com for samples)
Godspeed You Black Emperor!
Ani DiFranco
Beth Orton
Low
K’s Choice
The Machine in the Garden (ethereal goth music, not to everybody’s taste)
Luscious Jackson
Mazzy Star
And last, but not least: Delta-9 Project. (One of the members is a poster here)

And of course, Metallica. Download it to piss them off, but delete it before listening.

I share all of this (except Metallica), but I’m not often logged onto Napster.
You can access my computer by typing “\24.162.77.141” into the “run” box in windows. At least for a while. Send me an email if you find something you like.

Revtim,

I think you’re referring to the Apex DVD. It also used to have a hidden menu with all kinds of goodies in it.

Lets see here…

1. Pencil Thin Mustache ~ Jimmy Buffet
  2. Satelite ~ Dave Matthews Band
  3. Freebird ~ Lynyrd Skynyrd
  4. Alive ~ Pearl Jam
  5. Higher ~ Creed
  6. Shook Me All Night Long ~ ACDC
  7. Don’t Push ~ Sublime
  8. Layla ~ Eric Clapton
  9. Tears In Heaven ~ Clapton
  10. Margaritaville ~ Jimmy Buffet
  11. Yellow Ledbetter ~ Pearl Jam