I'll say it: I am NOT hoping for a full recovery from any (Politician or media person) anti vax or masker that gets covid

Well, that depends on what your goal is.

For instance, if your objective is to not have Jimmy_Chitwood scold you, then Bob’s your uncle.

Bye, dead guy. But I wonder how many others died after heeding this fool’s buffoon opinion.

Not if they were saying it about, say, a mass murderer whose own death is apparently the only way to get him to stop murdering other people.

I personally don’t want vaccine deniers to die, or rejoice in their deaths, but I understand why many non-psychopathic people feel that way. These people (maskholes as well as antivaxxers) are irresponsibly and recklessly facilitating the needless deaths of tens of thousands of people, and the needless illness, stress and life-disrupting traumas of millions more.

It’s not psychopathic to be relieved when, say, a defiant spree killer is taken out by an armed LEO. It’s not even psychopathic to be relieved to know that the killer died “terrified and gasping” if the killer had thousands or millions of followers, who maybe, hopefully, will be scared enough by the death to pause and rethink their own choices.

I agree with you that vindictiveness even about the fate of antisocial death-spraying numbnuts is not a good thing in the last analysis. But considering how much catastrophic harm antisocial death-spraying numbnuts can do, and are doing, I think you’re overreacting when you tut-tut about such vindictiveness being “psychopathic”.

I’m with Ann in that, in an ideal world, these people were learn something and stop promoting behaviors that result in death.

Is it wrong to hope that the religious extremist exhorting his followers to violent acts accidentally gets blown up himself? Because that’s what’s happening here, only the bombs are a lot tinier and can kill a lot more people over a much wider space and time.

Oh yes, we hate scolding around here. Scolds? Folks, we hate’em, don’t we. There’s nothing kaylas fucking dad nine nine hates more than, for example, people that spend every waking moment looking for things to be the first thing to cluck their tongues about, to feel just a little taste of what it used to feel like to be alive. A scold won’t last long in the BBQ Pit of the ol’ SDMB, no sir.

Anyway, if you’re suggesting that somehow I’m the one who did what @nelliebly is talking about, no don’t worry. The last thing I would ever do is suggest that a thread on this message board ever had any connection to, much less impact on, the real world.

o_o

/>_<

O_o

Well, I guess I got told, huh?

Isn’t it a bit early in the day to hit the bottle? 5:00 somewhere, right?

A lifelong smoker, no. The executive of a tobacco company who quashed research on the dangers of smoking and knowing that his efforts would cause tens of thousands to die of lung cancer still pushed smoking and lies about how smoking was safe, yes.
Politicians and media people are supposedly smart enough to evaluate the evidence and have access to medical expertise. Given this, if they still push policies that are going to kill people, I’m not going to cry when they are hoist by their own petard. Their victims I won’t feel good about. At least the ones who are willing to admit they were wrong.

Having been there, in the room, when an actual human being died terrified and gasping for air, I’m a big beyond “tut-tutting.” I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. I’m not capable of deriving pleasure from the sight, or even the thought, of anyone dying like that. Anyone. And I don’t really have a high opinion of anyone who could take pleasure from that.

If that means I’m “tut-tutting,” well, so be it. Maybe I’m as guilty of scolding as all those people wishing horrible painful terrifying deaths on others.

Most laudable. I shall cause your cookie to be prepared forthwith, and served upon the good china.

Maybe. I do think you are perhaps over-focusing on the evils of hyperbolic venting of anger against recklessly and selfishly antisocial death-spraying numbnuts, and under-focusing on the evils of the reckless selfishness of the antisocial death-spraying numbnuts themselves.

But hell, it’s the Pit, you are perfectly entitled to scold and tut-tut anybody you want for any reason, and there’s no requirement to deal with a greater problem before ranting about a lesser one.

I’m certainly over-focused these days on self-righteousness. We (including, and maybe especially, us liberals/leftists/progressives/what-have-yous) are far to quick to think that because we’re the good guys, anything we think or do is therefore good.

No doubt me as much as anyone else. But, speaking strictly for myself, basically taking joy in torture is bad, and sick, no matter who’s on the receiving end.

No shit.

Also, no doubt you’re perfectly qualified to sit in judgment on me? To condescend to me?

Right.

I’m with Saintly_Loser in that I don’t actually want anyone to die like that, but I feel I must express due admiration of the elegance of this phrasing.

Agreed. In fact, I cannot recall any Right-Wing nut wishing death by Covid on his political opponents. (There must have been one, anyone got a cite?) But it is OK if Progressives wish their opposite numbers to die.

For some reason.

Yeah, Repubs don’t wish death on people bc they know that would be ineffective.

What they do is actually kill people.

They don’t need to wish Covid death on people, they’re inflicting Covid death on people. Inflicting death not because those people have done bad things, but because it’s more convenient than the alternative.

But, as long as you need help remembering, how’s about this.

Of course, that’s not exactly wishing either, it’s deliberately letting Americans from certain states die so that they can blame it on political opponents.

Only because they deny COVID exists.

Wishing death is WAYYYY worse than actually inflicting death! Those inflicting death still had a lot of “thoughts and prayers” in their minds.

I agree. I have never heard a right winger wish for a political opponent to die by disease. Typically they fantasize about executing their political opponents on the gallows or by firing squad, although sometimes they rhapsodize about beheading them.

So this idea that “liberals are the violent ones” is just another part of the right-wing campaign of stochastic terrorism, and anyone that refuses to see this is part of the problem.

That’s because wishing death by covid on someone undercuts the right-wing narrative that the diseases isn’t serious.

On the other hand, conservatives - particularly conservative Christians - used to get downright giddy over AIDS killing off queers. And this approval translated directly into the government neglecting the crisis for years, leading to even more deaths.

And wishing death by Covid on their political enemies isn’t nearly as delightful for them as imagining them being beheaded or shot by a firing squad.