I'm Having Problems With Photoshop 7.0 and bmp, jpg, etc Files: URGENT Help Needed

I am in big trouble, because I AHEMacquiredCOUGH Photoshop 7.0 and decided (stupidly):smack: to make every type of image file open under Photoshop. Then, I realised my mistake and made an even worse one: I searched for every SINGLE Photoshop folder in my computer and deleted them, hoping to be able to open my .bmp, .jpg, and .gif drawings the way I used to.:smack: But did that work? NOO. So then, I go to Add/Remove Programs (a little late, huh?) and clicked Adobe Photoshop 7.0 to remove it. And what happened? I DELETED the very file that uninstall came in. I really need help, because I can’t open any .bmp, .jpg or .gif files, and on top of that, I don’t have Photoshop. This is very important…

What OS? I’ll assume a recent version of Windows…

Go to Windows Explorer, choose Tools…Folder Options…File Types

Scroll up and down that list looking for JPG, GIF, BMP, and change the associated application to whatever you want to open them (IE, Paint, etc)

As for Photoshop, you’ll have to re-install.

Oh, you can also “Shift+right-click” on any file to bring up the “Open With…” menu in Windows. That way, even if you have all files of a certain type assigned to a program (say Photoshop), you can still choose to to open them with something else (say Explorer).

I went to that, but GIF and BMP weren’t there at all. JPG was there, but it said it would open with IE, however, it doesn’t open JPG’s with IE… I don’t know what to do…

And when I try to create a new one, it says that the extension is already in use by Photoshop.

If you have XP, Open Win Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, File Types. You can deselect and reselect all/any there. Give it a few seconds to search.

Oh, should’ve mentioned before. I have Windows 98.

Thanks so much NoGoodNamesLeft! The only problem is that the icon with the blank paper and windows sign is still there. Is there any thing I can do about this? Or do I have to wait a while/restart the computer?

Don’t be too freaked Topaz. Windows, and Mac’s too for that matter, have a little section within the bowells which is a reference table. It’s just a reference index which can be adjusted any old time you want.

As you know, some file types are usable in a number of different software packages - think of .wav and .mp3 files for example. Every company on the planet who designs a multi media package of some sort has to be able to play those files. Other packages such as Internet Explorer and Netscape can open .jpg and .tiff files.

Again, this is no big deal - it’s just a way of understanding that a computer can have many different software packages which all kinda do the same thing. So, as an extra service, the computer provides an internal reference table which basically asks the same question of every known file type under the sun - namely, for THIS file type (insert .extension here) which program would you prefer to be the 1st choice program to open the file?

So, you see, the advice above is just a way of letting you get access to that reference table system and thereupon edit it to your liking.

Also, if you right-click on the file, choose open with you can choose to open it with any program you want, regardless of what the primary is. This is good if I just want to look at a file instead of editing it, photoshop is much slower than say windows picture viewer.

Tsk, tsk. Now if you hadn’t used pirated software, you could have just called Adobe, but nooooo…

You live in Queens, Postcards? Me too…