I'm just going to crawl into a cave until June 21st

Same here!

I’ve heard that the books have been banned in Clovis, New Mexico, and my mom has been receiving “Harry Potter is the devil” emails from the fundie relatives for quite a while. If simply reading a book is enough to get these people riled up, I’ll do it. Of course, these fundie relatives are also appalled that I have not yet dropped out of college to “get married and have babies,” and have repeatedly told me that it’s “just awful” that I spend my days working on solid mechanics problems instead of ironing or scrubbing the floor.

I’ve decided to not buy the book - will wait until I go on vacation in August, and borrow a cousin’s copy. I’ll have to be in that dark cave for a long time!

Susan

On reflection, that probably was a joke. I’m sorry. It’s just that it is hard to avoid the spoilers (hence the thread) and I’m a little jumpy about 'em now.

heh. I have no kids, and husband and I have been fighting about THIS one since we found out when Phoenix was being released.

I won. Sort of. I read MUCH MUCH faster than he. So we “compromised”.

I suggest, to all of you who can afford it, to adopt our solution: I get the book. HE gets the book-on-tape.
:smiley:

They also don’t edit her books. The curse of Stephen King has jumped the pond.

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by Tuckerfan
Add me to the list. I kind of skimmed the first couple of pages of the first one and found it to be really watered down Douglas Adams, and immediately lost interest. (Had it been full blown DA, I’d have kept on reading.)

I thought it was watered-down Roald Dahl. Seriously. Compare the first few chapters of the first HP book to James and the Giant Peach. Same damn thing.

I was reading the sticky in Cafe Society on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix**, and I swear I just read a post telling who died. I thought, “Ah, it’s a joke. No one would do that without a spoiler box.” Left the thread and saw that there was a new post by the same poster, so I skipped back to make sure he said “Only joking.” There was no post there about who died. Instead, there was a post about the mods being Nazis, and the poster was already banned.

Did this fuckwad really just spoil Book V for me? Can it be true?? Bastard!!! Why did I read it???

It’s true!!! That bastard!!! Fuck!!!

(On the other hand, I’d like to commend Euty for his prompt action in erasing the spoiler and banning the poster. Hopefully, there weren’t a whole lot of other geeks like me who saw it. And no, I’m not telling who it is. Let someone read this book clean.)

It’s Harry.

The series ends now.

She lied about the seven-book thing.

It’s true, I swear!

I can’t believe I was unlucky enough to see that one post. I had only popped in to rant about Arnold Schwarzenegger, and wasn’t even scanning over the posts: it just jumped into my brain. And for that, my Schwarzenegger rage now burns even hotter than a billion space heaters.

Arrrrg!!! I ust hope it wasn’t true, and the kid was being a diiiiiiiiiick. Were his spoilers something he could have read in the Daily News? If so, my curses to the Daily News as well. I’d say boycott their paper, but I don’t buy it anyway. Ca someone else who DOES buy it please boycott it? :slight_smile:

That’s the only thing I can hope right now, is that he was talking out his ass and he didn’t really know, but the mods were very serious about it, which makes me highly suspicious. Besides, it is out in some parts of the world right now.

Kudos to whoever reported the thread, and whoever banned him. That was some fast shooting.

Still, I’m happy to have seen many conflicting claimed spoilers, which make me unsure enough to not feel too violated (though if the book moves in a certain direction I’m probably going to see things coming in a way that I’ll hate).

The mods don’t have to know that the spoiler is true for them to see the attempt to spoil and irritate people, let alone to crosspost in several forums, is not something worthy of a poster here.

Here in Indianapolis, some copies were release early. I’m not sure of the how/why, but the local news was talking to some kids who already had it this morning.

Never read 'em, myself.

So, you seen Finding Nemo yet? :wink: