I'm Still here - Joaquin Phoenix

What the hell?

I’m Still here ‘starring’ Joaquin Phoenix
Why do otherwise good actors have to be so freaking weird?
I’m actually torn because this is being directed by Casey Affleck.

No I take that back. I’m not torn. I don’t care enough about Joaquin and his weird antics:rolleyes: to ever see this movie. However I liked Gone Baby Gone enough that I believe Casey Affleck can make this a decent movie.

What are your thoughts on this movie?

Well, I thought this was supposed to be an Andy Kaufman style practical joke.

Is it?

“…the documentary follows the Oscar-nominee as he announces his retirement from a successful film career in the fall of 2008 and sets off to reinvent himself as a hip hop musician.”

That always goes well.

I think so. And I like the fact that they still haven’t admitted it’s a joke. The problem is I don’t care enough about Phoenix to shell out for the movie, especially given the Wikipedia description.

Okay. Mockumentary I will buy. But I think Sacha Baron Cohen has already cornered the gross-out mockumentary market.

Weird, just weird. As David Letterman said ruefully at the end of Phoenix’s distracted, offbeat (and maybe faked) appearance on his show, “I’m sorry you couldn’t be here with us tonight, Joaquin…!”

I think they gave the Lifetime Achievement Oscar to Peter O’Toole to stop him from this very path.

I’m hoping it will turn out to be some sort of post-modern/concept/recursive/irony/meta-something piece.

yeah.

The more I hear about it, the more I’m feeling fairly sure it’s a prank.

I assume they’ll stick with it forever, too.

By the way, Wikipedia cites a Rolling Stone quote where Phoenix admits it is a hoax.

However, the link cited is a dead link(re-directs to the home page).

The part that has convinced it’s a prank is that supposedly Joaquin starts abusing heroin on film and everyone’s cool with it. You remember heroin right? It was the drug his brother overdosed on and died in his arms because of.

If I were Joaquin’s sister (who’s married to Casey Affleck) and I saw my husband laughing and joking with my brother while he shoots up some heroin, I’d shove the camera so far up his ass it would come out the other side.

Now that’s method acting. :dubious:

(I used to have a minor crush on Joaquin Phoenix, and now I feel very, very confused. Not sure if want.)

Time magazine on the enigma/spoof: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,2016296,00.html?hpt=C2

Entertainment Weekly actually liked the movie: http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/08/ew.still.here.review/index.html?hpt=C2

Per the EW review linked above

Possession of cocaine being a crime- not sure if use qualifies beyond the fact it requires possession of it- are there any possible legal consequences of filming Phoenix using it, either to Phoenix or to Affleck? Either way it seems incredible his keepers would consent to the film being shown. It’s also said to have lots of nudity which in spite of how sexy Phoenix can be when he’s in shape is, I’m guessing at least, currently not a site you want to see while he’s out of shape, crazy, and hygienically unenthused; I’m surprised this was allowed also.

Is it just me or does Casey Affleck sound like an uncaring shit?

You crack me up.

P.S. Yes, it’s a joke.

No. They’d need to prove that the substance was, indeed, cocaine and not a movie prop. No way to do that.

The LA Times did a quick scoresheet on who thinks it’s legit and who thinks it’s a hoax: Link.

Further proof it’s a hoax: Joaquin Phoenix is talking to studios about new acting jobs.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i01b6a2dad021a54586de5997a7797ad7

I’m inclined to believe it was a hoax all along, but the fact that he’s now looking for acting work doesn’t necessarily mean that it was. He might just have realized that being a rap artist wasn’t working out (no duh!), and that he’d have to reconsider his decision not to be an actor anymore.