IMPORTANT: Go to UserCP and verify your email.

As we prepare to migrate to the new Straight Dope Message Board site, it’s really important that your personal information be correct and up to date.

1. Right now go here:

UserCP / Your Profile

Look at that page. You should see your email address.

**If the address listed is your current email address you need do nothing more, you’re good to go when we get to the new site. **

1. If the address listed in your profile is not correct or you do not have access to it go here:

UserCP / Edit Your Details / Email & Password / Edit Email & Password

Yes, you need to enter your current password to use this page.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE YOUR CURRENT PASSWORD AT THIS TIME.

If you do not know your current password go to step 3 below.

If your email address needs correcting fill in the boxes. You’ll be asked for your new email address twice. Make sure they are both exactly the same. Click “Save Changes.”

You should receive a confirmation email at your new address within a few minutes. It may be in your inbox. It may be in your spam folder/trash. Look for it.

When you see it, open the email, click the url inside it, and you should be all set.

This is important: You will not be able to make posts until you receive that confirmation email and click on the url inside it.

1. If none of this works, or you don’t remember your password, send me an email. TUBADIVA@AOL.COM

Or contact me on Facebook: Jennifer Paradis, Tuba-American

Explain what you need. I’ll look at it and we’ll get you straightened out.

You will see this message again. You will see this message a lot in the next week. Please tell your friends to go check their email addresses.

Thanks.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

Some people might only get around to reading this after the move without updating their email and won’t be able to login. It might be good for this sticky to include the admins email address so they can get in contact with you to sort out problems.

tubadiva@aol.com

If you’re getting thread notifications in your email, your address must be right, correct?

Of course?

Yes

Question: I got NO IDEA what my password is. Set it 20 years ago and don’t think I’ve ever used it.

How do we update that??

Email looks good, however. Can a Mod send it to me??

Thanks.

You don’t need your old password. Just the correct email address. You will be setting a new password on the new board.

Also the mods can’t see your password, that is how even semi-modern password storage works.

Groovy.

That’s why this sticky note needs to be more specific. Not “Check your information” but “Click https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/profile.php?do=editpassword to make sure your email address is correct”

You do not need to change your password at the present time.

If the email address you see listed is correct, you need do nothing more.

If you do change your email address, be sure to look out for the confirmation email sent to your account; you will be locked out of posting until you retrieve that email and trigger the url inside it.

Again, if you don’t remember your password or otherwise need assistance send me an email at TubaDiva@aol.com.

Jenny

my bolding
You should edit the bolded part into your OP. It is the most important piece of info.

**TO ALL THE PEOPLE GIVING ME NAME CHANGES: ** The Dev team has asked that I belay all those changes until after we’re live on the new site. I can assist with email addresses if you can’t get in to fix that yourself and I can assist with resetting passwords if you need that to get in, but for the time being I’m not doing any name changes.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

I had no “marks” (!@#$%^&*) in my password and Discourse requires a minimum of 2. I clicked “I forgot my password” and got an email with a link to change my password. I reckon it worked because I think I’m here.

Do those marks I added make my ass look bigger?