In two years time you can call me Magister_C (grad school)

As some of you may know, I am pretty damn unlucky when it comes to finding gainful employment. I refuse to live hours away from my significant other just to make a buck. So, for the past year, I’ve bit my pride and worked at a low-paying go-nowhere job just to make ends meet. Let me tell you, this plays hell on one’s self esteem. Often I wonder “Was I really as smart as I thought I was, or was everyone in my life just humoring me?” Something has got to give.

Since getting my bachelor’s degree, I have felt like a fish out of water. Like most people on these boards, I’m one of those guys who actually enjoy going to class and learning new things. I* like * expanding my mind and seeing new points of view. I like debating the losing side of an argument, just to see if I can pull it off.

So, to make the official announcement: **Captain_C is now a grad student! **

I have been accepted into the Criminal Justice Masters program at University of Cincinnati. Yes that UC, the one who has the 3rd best Criminal Justice graduate program in the country. And yes, apparently you can get an entire Master’s degree from them through the crazy interweb tubes. “How the hell did he get into that?” you may ask. I have no freaking clue!! I applied just for fun (heck, I wrote my entrance essay while drunk off my ass). “Can he afford that with that low-paying go-nowhere job?” No he cannot, shhh don’t tell them that. Now that they have accepted me, it is like a ray of hope at the end of a dark tunnel I have been in for a very long time. I would be a fool to not seize this opportunity.

Now, some people will tell you that this puts me way in over my head. I would agree with those people. I still snicker at the mere idea of social sciences. Heck, I don’t even believe in the concept of ‘justice’. I tell the new guys at work, “There is no justice, there is just us.” It is that type of humor that proves that I am fraudulently bull shitting my way through this.

But what the hell, I got nothing else going on, and it’s going to be a heck of a ride. And in two years you can all expect a post from me complaining that being a Master of Criminal Justice is useless. Maybe I’ll make supervisor at work by then though…

Congrats, Captain_C. My wife is in that program right now and will be done at the end of next summer. She is doing it over those crazy interwebs as well, and to be honest, has found it kind of boring. I think she misses the “Serial Murders” class she took as an undergrad and is sick of the “White-Collar Crime.” At least, that is what she’s said to me: theory is kind of boring, but the gory details are fun.

Be ready for much paper writing, as well as many discussion board posts (as if you weren’t used to that). I think most classes consist of two posts a week and two papers. It’s nice because the program she’s in is all 5-week classes, so as soon as you get a little bored in a class, or it starts to drag on, it’s over. There is no slump in the middle.

Now, be prepared for the post saying the Master of Criminal Justice is slightly useless, which is why she’s applying for a Ph.D. program in the spring.

Brendon Small

Congrats sir. Go learn things…and stuff.