Indian Jones is a rapist?

Going by the actor’s real ages if she was 15 he was 24. Which works if he is a post doc or doing research for his doctorate under his mentor.

A swashbuckling rapist.

In actuality, he was 39 when the first movie was released, which makes her 30 at the time (using their real ages in 1981)

It’s not the years, honey; it’s the mileage.

Arkansas law of consent TODAY is 14.

I don’t know or care what it was around the country in the 30’s

Of course they exist. They aren’t as numerous as some people would have you believe, but they do exist and they’re loud and annoying.

Lucas comes across as a real low-life perv in that conversation, honestly.

Who wouldn’t want to fight for social justice? What was MLK Jr, if not a (metaphorical) warrior for social justice?

That seems a bizarre assumption. It is unambiguously stated Ravenwood was one of Indy’s mentors. It makes no sense for them to have been in Nepal; it would have been at the university.

Marion was in Nepal because her father had taken her overseas and she didn’t feel like coming back.

As to her age, the only thing actually said in the movie, which is all that matters, is Marion referring to herself as “a child” when they had an affair and then saying “I’ve learned to hate you in the last ten years!” So whatever age she was it was ten years younger than she is in the movie.

How old does she look to you? She sure as hell doesn’t look 23. She looks about 30, which is of course about how old Karen Allen actually was. The logical conclusion I come to as a viewer is that Marion was somewhere between 16 and 20 when the affair started.

The age of the character has nothing to do with the age of the actor.

It certainly does. The apparent age of the actor is the only thing we have to go on to establish the age of the character in the absence of any other evidence internal to the movie - which in this case doesn’t exist.

I’m just saddened by the use of irregardless.

In any case…

If Indiana Jones was in-universe a grad/postgrad college man when he got it on with a high-school girl, then legallistically he might have committed an offense, depending on the laws of the land and time, but in the sociocultural context he was not “a rapist” as a character trait or something to be held against him.

Back when SJW’s was a concept limited to crazy tumblr posts about how manspreading is a hate crime and such, but then it was appropriated by right wingers to use as a disparaging term to anyone in the left and has nowadays evolved to mean “anybody who’s not in the right side of Attila the Hun”.

So, pretty much a tainted word, or acronym.

Indiana Jones Wikia.

Making her 16-17.

And thus above AoC in most of the USA both then and today. Good call, Spielberg.

You really read that as me thinking Harrison Ford was 24 and Karen Allen was 15 when the movie was released? Really?

We are talking about events in the past (in movie reality). Someone said she was supposedly 15 when the love affair happened. The actors are 9 years apart in age making him 24. Of course movie age and real age are not necessarily the same but it’s a starting point for the discussion.

But he could be a statutory rapist according to our standards.

Want a rape case? Sixteen Candles goes all Bill Cosbyish at one point. Even grandmothers are sexually assaulting minors :slight_smile:

And for God’s sake, don’t look up the music video for Putting on the Ritz either.

I’m kinda glad SJWs are going after fictional characters that lived in the past. The more time they spend doing that is less time they have to bother us real people in the present.

So, just after complaining about “loud and annoying” “SJWs” for pointing out things in old entertainment media that are exploitative or offensive by today’s standards, you jump on the “SJW” bandwagon to join in denouncing Lucas for something he said in 1978?

Hmm, maybe there’s something socially useful or enlightening after all in confronting and engaging with instances of ideas that people in general used to think were okay but now do not.