Insane Clown Posse named worst band

NONONO!!! The 50 BEST bands are garage bands that you’ve never heard of.

Modern Lovers, Electric Frankenstein, Turbonegro, Lazy Cowgirls, The Dictators, MC5, Motorhead, Leaving Trains, The Stooges, the Fleshtones just to name ten.

Count me in on someone who thinks the Doors are overrated. Ray did his best work with the L.A. band X in the 80s, I gotta say though, that the Ian Asturbary version sounds pretty good from what I’ve heard, but then again I’m a Cult fan from way back :slight_smile:

Jon

Skinny Puppy??? Blow me, Blender Magazine. And how could they leave Nitro off??

Heh, a magazine goes into Joe Queenan mode, nearly a quarter of the names on this list were in his book Rod Lobster, White Trash, and the Blue Lagoon. And their definition of “rock” is pretty loose, as has been noted.

And Carl Palmer must feel honored, he has two groups in the bottom 10: ELP and Asia. But I see the hipper than thou rock writers’ vendetta against prog rock groups goes on.

No Milli Vanilli, no Fat Boys, no Stryper, no Pepsi & Shirley, no Player, no Giraldo (Rico Suave), no Bay City Rollers, no Onyx, no Black Oak Arkansas, no PM Dawn, no Ugly Kid Joe, no Candlebox, and only one boy band. Even my sometimes guilty pleasure radio fodder band Third Eye Blind wouldn’t seem out of place on this list.

How did the mostly critically loathed John “Cougar” Mellencamp and Jimmy Buffett escape? Not to mention anybody in the usually hated Southern rock genre, which has undergone a bit of a revival or return to nostalgic popularity with it being an influence on acts like Kid Rock and critics’ darlings Drive-by Truckers. Surely Crash Test Dummies or even Primus aren’t worse than Molly Hatchet?

I think the Doors are overrated, but IMO I wouldn’t put them on a 50 worst list instead of Lenny Kravitz, Wilson Phillips, Bob Seger, KISS, Bananarama, Glenn Frey’s solo work, any of numerous teen idols, 2 Live Crew, or the Grateful Dead.

I agree these kind of lists can be lazy hype-generators, I mean two token rap acts, besides the two obvious white rap acts. Arrested Development are popular to dump on now because they were different. Why Master P rather than Jay-Z? Both are musically more chest-beating and hype rather than talent. Master P is obviously less popular now so it’s easier to trash him.

Any people who put the Doors on a list like that are going to be the first ones against the wall when I lead the revolution. :wink:

Isn’t this the same magazine that filled their list of “best ever” cds with “best of” albums? Any magazine that includes the doors on a worst of list and leaves off Hootie and The Blowfish entirely lacks crediblity.

Can’t believe Live is there. Sure, their last few albums sucked big time, but Secret Samadhi and Throwing Copper were really effing good.

I second interface2x. Skinny Puppy? Sigh, at least they’re still remembered. I thought at first that the thread title was ICP worst named band. That I’d agree with, no reservations. It is a damn silly name for a band.

Yes, I can see the irony if you think Skinny Puppy is a silly name for a band.

Normally known as The Twat in the Hat :smiley:

Well, confidentially, just between you, me, and the lamppost…

hrh

Why the Fat Boys? They were a staple of popular 80’s hip-hop only a few rungs below Run-DMC.

And seriously-I don’t even like Jay-Z so I’m speaking objectively here-Master P isn’t even on the same planet as Jay-Z when it comes to talent.

I hope this doesn’t come off sounding too snobby, because that’s not the intent, but anyone with even a casual ear for hip-hop (or just plain lyrics) should be able to notice that.

There are six ‘bands’ on that list that I actually like. That either says something bad about me or the list.

I used to be a really regular poster on the Foo Fighters postboard.

Over a 3 year period, I lost count of the number of threads which revolved around the same sort of theme… namely…

Some notable music magazine (insert any prominent name here) would compile a list of some sort…

**Top 50 singles of all time…

Top 100 albums of all time…

50 Worst bands of all time…

Top 20 most overrated albums of all time…**

etc etc etc You get the drift by now.

After a while, some things became really, REALLY obvious to me. Basically, music magazines, in the final analysis don’t really have much to offer these days. Their era has kinda passed 'em by - what with messageboards, and band websites, and file sharing etc etc.

So these magazines (all of 'em - mark my words) tend to fall into these stupid popularity contest polls with regular ad nauseum - and ultimately - the goal is simply to sell more units.

And the single most effective way to get your magazine publicity, any publicity, is to compile a totally subjective list which really can’t be argued with in any sort of empirical black and white terms - seeing as how it’s all opinion based.

Anyways, I ended up getting very, VERY bored with the Foo Fighters postboard. These same sort of threads came up with vomit inducing regularity and ultimately it betrayed a certain lack of originality - both in the music business today in general - and those hanger-on industrys like music magazines which live off it.

It’s basically occurred to me that almost every possible chord progression and melodic phrasing and tempo variation has already been invented. The challenge nowadays is who can rip off an old forgotten song the best, without getting busted for it?

An example - the chord progression in Foo Fighters song “Generator” is a total rip off of “The Rain Song” by Led Zeppelin but it’s set to a much faster tempo. That’s the sort of “hidden plagiarism” I’m talking about nowadays.

The magazines have got so little to write about that well, lists like this one are all they can fall back on as a staple diet to ship copies.

Come now. No one who is even remotely knowledgeable about rock has “never heard of” the likes of The MC5, Motorhead, or The Stooges – although I’m sure there are plenty of people who’ve heard of them without actually having heard them. I also don’t think it’s accurate to call bands that had major label releases “garage bands”, even if they never achieved much commercial success.

I’m going to stab whoever put Skinny Puppy on that list in the eye with a pen.

I think you’ve permanently lost “unknown garage rock band” status when one of your songs in being used in Lexus commercials.

I know that I’m as much of a sucker for carefully crafted pop as the next goon, but Kansas? I love that band. I even saw them live once, and thought they still rocker (circa 2000).

We need more fiddle rock.

I’ve never even heard of Blender until now. Guess all it takes is to list a 50 worst of something to get you free pubilicity.

They were talking about Mick Jagger’s solo work, which is terribly sucky.

('Course, “worst band” is used pretty loosely.)

FWIW, I don’t think Jamiroquai, Paul Oakenfield and the Doors (amongst others) belong on that list. I suspect shitty mags like Blender include controversial choices such as these in order to sitr up the fans and publicity for their publication.

Like this. :wink:

I don’t particularly like the Doors, but I don’t think that they suck. Paul Oakenfold doesn’t suck and neither does ICP if you’re in the right mood for it. Their song “Bugz on my Nutz” always cracks me up.

The Doors are way the hell overrated, but one of the 50 worst bands ever? Nah.

Creed and Limp Bizkit should head the list. If I were omnipotent, I’d set aside an extra circle of hell for Durst and Stapp.

I could live with Jamiroquai being on the list.

While we’re at it, if we got all the prog-rock bands, why not all those wanky jam bands like, oh, say Phish and Blues Traveler. (Actually, I do tolerate these bands, but just to be fair…)

As for ICP. I don’t know much about them, but I like 'em. They’re entertainers and marketers extraordinaire. They can’t play for shit, but they don’t claim to. ICP are about the spectacle; they’re more theatre than music. It’s stupid to even consider them for a list like this.