Interesting/Clever Street and Subdivision Names!

There’s another one by the same name in Pamplona; Google turned up others in Oviedo, Córdoba (Spain, not Argentina), Madrid, Buenos Aires… it sure seems like a popular name.

One day walking down Gavà (Barcelona), I saw a street labeled Nosesale (Impersonal, “you can’t go out”). I thought “that one better be a cul-de-sac…” Yep. It is.

In Anderson, IN there’s an addition made up of Riviera Drive, Chevelle Court, Malibu Court, Catalina Drive, and Impala Drive. GM used to employ thousands in Anderson (Delco Remy and Guide Lamp), but no more.

When I saw NOVA I was sure it was gonna be Backlick Road (or perhaps Powhite Pkwy.)

Not far from my house is Street Avenue.

For international redundancies, I always smile a bit inside when I see a Prospect Street.

There is a Redneck Avenue that runs from Little Ferry to Moonachie, New Jersey.

Charlotte, NC was notorious for this - apparently there was some historical person named Sharon, so there are 3-4 major roads that were some variant of “Sharon” - many of which intersected.

And it also tended to have roads where you had to turn to stay on the same road. I was driving to someone’s house once, and followed his directions, and wound up in South Carolina. He said “I assumed you wouldn’t see that the street name changed”. Yeah, he’d expected me to go straight, but I saw the name change and turned to stay on it.

The subdivisions themselves have quirky names in Columbia, MD. Like “King’s Contrivance”.

The same part of town also has about a dozen roads with Park as some part of their name, so we get all sorts of confusion about Park, Park Cedar, Park Sharon Court, Sharon Road, Sharon Lane, Sharon Oaks, Sharon Amity, Park South, and amid all of this is the redundantly named Park Road Park.

Some cat named Harris was big here too, (AFAIK, he was the Harris of the Harris Teeter supermarket chain) and you need to watch out for Harris Road, WT Harris Blvd, Harris Center and Harris Houston.

The town has an interesting name itself - would you even want to live in Hell?

The suburb I grew up in has a Lane Road and a Lane Avenue, but no Lane Lane.

There’s a street in Doug Flutie’s hometown of Natick, MA called Flutie Pass.

HAH! Yep, Park Road (one variant of it) was what led me to South Carolina that time. I was going from somewhere near South Park Mall…

Ice Cream Drive. By a famous local ice cream company headquarters.

Pebble Beach. Closest beach is Lake Michigan, and even that’s some distance away.

I remember driving around in Queensland once, maybe on/near the Gold Coast, and realising all the streets had alliterative names featuring native plants. So Wattle Way, Banksia Boulevard, Callistemon Crescent, etc. I blinked a little to see Ferntree Freeway, which was a tiny cul-de-sac, and in no way met standard expectations for a “freeway.”

There’s another Tolkien-themed neighbourhood in San Jose. And in Santa Clara, there’s a mining themed area: Borax Ct, Limestone Rd, Chromite Dr, etc.

So, it’s Heil in Hell?

I used to live near a development called Fresh Impressions.

I used to live on Zeppelin Drive in Hanover Park, IL. I never could figure out if it was for the band, the dirigible, or someone’s last name. All the other roads in the subdivision were rather boring and uninspired. I always assumed it had to with the town name having Hanover in it, but none of the other street names were particularly German.

Driving into Dixon, IL (which does everything it can to make sure you know that it is Ronald Reagan’s hometown) from I-88 (The Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway), you pass** Bloody Gulch Road**. The story for that rather morbid name is on Dixon’s wiki page.

There are 2 frontage roads on either side of I-280 in San Jose, CA. One is called Moorpark and the other is called Parkmoor.

J.

There is a tiny little street in Corrales, New Mexico named Yippee Calle (Calle is the Spanish word for street, pronounced ki-yay, or more precisely, ki-yeh).

I once heard of a subdivision where you could drive from Tinker to Evers to Chance streets. Apparently one of the original planners had been a huge Cubs fan.