Interesting/Clever Street and Subdivision Names!

^Cited by me the last time we talked streetnames.

Not far from here there are a couple of roadsnamed after salmon, but the interesting part is that the roads themselves are laid out in the shape of a salmon as well.

My house backs on to the Football estate, where the streets are named after UK football stadiums. However, in the intervening years, many clubs have sold the naming rights to their trademark stadiums or moved, so maybe some renaming would be in order:

Dean (Bournemouth AFC) -> Goldsands
Roker (Plymouth) -> Stadium of Light
Ninian (Cardiff City FC) -> Cardiff City
Dell (Southampton) -> St Mary’s
Eastville (Bristol Rovers) -> Memorial
Highbury (Arsenal) -> Emirates
And those that don’t:

Trafford (Manchester United)
Anfield (Liverpool)
Stamford (Chelsea)
Selhurst (Crystal Palace)
Whitehart (Tottenham Hotspur)
Elland (Leeds United)

And a special mention (because local emnities are the best):

Fratton (Portsmouth) -> Skid Row :wink:

Actually, not as bad as I thought.

Here in Speedway, Indiana (an enclave inside Indianapolis, originally developed around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway a century ago), we have some good ones. My kid’s day care is on Cadillac Drive, which is surrounded by Buick Drive, Desoto Lane, Nash Lane, Crosley Drive, and Lincoln Road. Auburn and Cord Streets are not far away.

Nearby are some streets named after legendary names in Speedway history…Foyt Drive, Sachs Drive, Unser Blvd., Ward Drive, Wallard Drive Parsons Drive, Nalon Drive, Kurtis Blvd., Hanks Drive, Holland Drive…and then there’s Grand Prix Court, Mosport Court, Jaguar Place, and Ferrari Place.

Great street names if you are a car guy and/or racing fan!

Near Oracle’s headquarters in Silicon Valley is Marine Parkway. It has little, if anything, to do with the USMC; rather, it has been renamed from Marine World Parkway. About 60 miles away, in Vallejo, is Lewis Brown Drive…which was also named Marine World Parkway at one point. The interesting thing is, there isn’t a “Marine World” anywhere near either one - at least, there isn’t any more.

At one time or another, both were near the locations of amusement parks named Marine World; it was originally near where the Oracle headquarters is now, but when it was expanded to include non-marine life, it was considered too small, so it moved to Vallejo, where, eventually, they added thrill rides, and was eventually bought by Six Flags, which renamed it Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

Driving through the outskirts of New Orleans, looking for a place to eat. We came to a 3 street intersection

Hickory
Dickory and
Dock

In the center of West Hartford, CT, the address 123 Raymond Road is near the intersection of Burr Street. The sign at that corner has RAYMOND and BURR. Just like the old actor.

In Delaware, Ohio, home of the Little Brown Jug harness race, there is a subdivision with streets named for Jug winners (Niatross Place, Overtrick Drive, Tar Heel Drive, Western Dreamer Drive, Seatrain Drive).

For zombies into water sports:

Golden Shower Lane

I used to live in a subdivision where many of the streets were named after animals. The best street name there was Kangaroo Court.

Since the One Ring, um, I mean zombie, has awakened - there’s a Mordor Drive in Lorton, VA. It’s a road that leads to the incinerator at the county’s waste disposal facility, but there’s a business park on the road. The property owner wanted to rename it from the name at the time, Landfill Road, because that name had negative connotations for the business park. The original idea of calling the road Good Intentions Road didn’t work out so the developer settled on Mordor since Frodo needed to toss the ring in the inferno. :smiley:

Only one I can offer is Lois Lane.
mmm

In Hood River OR, there’s a Lover’s Lane. Yes, that’s the actual name of the street. In the country nearby, there’s a Sunday Drive.

I understand that Rudy Vallee wanted to have the street he lived on in Hollywood named Rue de Vallee, but his neighbors blocked it. Eventually the town of Lake Forest CA gave that name to a street running through a trailer park. He was less than amused.

The UK has - or rather, had before they got bowdlerised - Gropecunt Lanes in numerous places. An, so as to not be sexist, let us note Tickle Cock Bridge.

Doing a search for ‘rude street names in uk’ will bring up many results. Here are two:

One of my favorite street crossings.

Here in Tucson, two major streets intersect called Glenn and Campbell. I always thought that was an interesting coincidence, even though the late Glen Campbell spelled his first name with only one “n”.

In Key West there are streets named Truman and Margaret. The Margaret Truman laundromat is/was on the corner. Younger folks may not know that Key West was the location of the winter white house during Harry Truman’s administration.

I’ve always wanted to lay out a neighborhood with names like…

Lois Ln.
Della St.
Margaret Ct.

…and as many more as I could think of.

In Sheffield there are a couple of interestingly mutated names for alleyways (or ginnels as they call 'em here). Stalker Lees Walk was called T’Old Walk (The Old Walk) which became Toad Walk. Therefore another nearby alley became Frog Walk. The names are now official :slight_smile:

Since the original thread was written, a new street was built near us, to service a new bank. It’s name, specifically chosen because of the bank, was of course Penny Lane.

Not amusing, but certainly interesting.

In 1945 a young man who changed his name to Murray Pantirer was liberated from the factory run by Oskar Schindler. He was on “Schindler’s list”

In 1949, the only surviving member of his family, he came to the United States and later, in partnership with a friend, set up a real estate development company. In gratitude to Schindler all of the neighborhoods they developed have a street named for Schindler.

http://www.oskarschindler.com/17.htm