Interesting/Clever Street and Subdivision Names!

Lawrence, Kansas, where the E-W streets have numbers and the N-S streets are named after states, in the order in which they became states (In other words, Delaware 1st, etc. Ohio is between Kentucky and Louisana, etc. It only seems to go out to Colorado, although there is a centennial nearby).
My wife got here Masters in History there and told me about it.

I grew up two blocks away from the intersection of “Glen” and “Miller,”'in Tarrytown, NY. Both streets, and their names, predate the bandleader.

There’s a Mordor Ln near BWI, and Aragorn Ct, Baggins Rd, Gollum Rd, and Strider Ct all in the same neighborhood.

Are the streets such that you can walk to Mordor?

At least part of the Mordor Drive in Lorton has sidewalks, so yes. :smiley:

The Mouse ran up the clock.

Here in Topeka, Kansas, in the older, central part of town there is a set of streets named for US presidents. It starts with Washington and ends with a street that should have been named for Andrew Johnson. But whoever had charge of the naming called that street Clay instead. And the street that should have been Pierce is Western. The street for John Quincy Adams is simply Quincy, since there couldn’t be two Adams.

Further on there is a Roosevelt, for Teddy, but it’s not in the series.

The five streets where I live are named after the kids of the original guy that subdivide it, and their last name.

In Boston’s Back Bay the n-s grid streets running west from the Boston Public Gardens are alphabetical, thru “H”"
ARLINGTON
BERKELY
CLARENDON
DARTMOUTH
EXETER
FAIRFIELD
GLOUCESTER
HEREFORD

MASSACHUSETTS AVE

on the way to Fenway Park

That must be one huge house.

:smiley:

Modesto, Ca., has a Hashem Dr. A residential side-street mostly.

Likewise in Mountain View, Ca. It’s a small residential side-street.

Some years ago, I came across a residential subdivision in the still-being-built stage in Coalinga, Ca., containing one street named Halliburton Av. – I wondered if there was something behind that. More recently, I haven’t been able to find it again. Either the name got changed or I’m mis-remembering which subdivision it’s in.

A nearby community to where I live has a whole subdivision full of streets with bird names, this being one of them. Exactly the same remark applies here.

That’s utterly typical. Bulldoze an area to develop it, and then name the streets, parks, schools, housing developments, shopping centers, etc., after the things that got bulldozed. Los Osos, Ca. bulldozed a grove of eucalyptus trees, famous for the massive flocks of monarch butterflies that nested there, to build a school. They named it Monarch Grove Elementary School, of course. So that makes it all okay! (Actually, it was just a relatively small portion of a much larger grove that they dozed, so there’s plenty left.)

Likwise, a thoroughfare in Santa Barbara, Ca. named Salsipuedes St. Story goes, in the early days of Santa Barbara the area tended to get flooded in the winter and the street became impassable.

That’s not actually quite the story. The park had always been named “Marine World / Africa USA”. They always had dolphin and orca shows, sea lions, elephants, tigers, parrots, and such. They raised their tiger to be a big pussycat. Eventually they lost their lease at the Redwood City property and had to move. Apparently the property owner decided that condo developments or industrial campuses or something would make them more money there. (I know all this because I had a bit of an inside track there, back in the day.)

ETA: Now, you can’t just jack up all those tanks, plumbing infrastructure, concrete stadiums, etc., and truck them on up to Vallejo. So the park sat there, abandoned, for some years before anything more was done with the property. Meanwhile, the new park was build ab initio in Vallejo.

The new-ish Six Flags park with all the wild roller coasters is actually approximately across the street from the Vallejo Marine World site. I don’t really know much about the transfer to Six Flags and the timelines of that – that all came later.

It’s Haliburton Way. And it’s connected to streets with related names, such as Cheney Lane. :slight_smile:

My home town has a section similarly laid out in alphabetical order, although for some reason they don’t have an “f” – they have two "g"s in a row.

And I live near Boston, so the Back Bay alphabetical thing is useful in figuring out how far down a street is from the common (A better landmark than Fenway Park – Arlington is right against the Public Garden). It’s notable that these streets were laid out in the newly-filled-in Back Bay, so , unlike earlier streets (especially those in the old North End) they could be straight, wide, and meet at right angles. With a blank slate like that to start with, it’s not surprising that they made the names fit an order as well.

In Cambridge, MA, USA, there is a crescent-shaped street called Bow Street. Crossing it is a short, straight street called Arrow Street. The names aren’t unusual by themselves, but it’s always tickled me a bit to see them on a map.

Having an alphabet series of streets is actually quite common. Portland OR has one[sup]1[/sup], for example. My understanding is that they usually started out being named with single letters ( A Street, B Street, etc.) and then later were assigned longer names.

[sup]1[/sup] Flanders, Kearney, Lovejoy, and Quimby Streets, the origin of character names on the Simpsons, are part of this sequence.

Arlington County in Virginia started out as a bunch of isolated neighborhoods with their own street names, which became quite confusing when these neighborhoods started growing together. Having streets with the same name in different parts of the county or intersect each other got so bad that (AFAIK) the postal service stepped in and helped establish a standard naming system. Alphabetic, starting with single syllables at the river going out to four syllables at the county line.

Edit window timed out.

There’s only one four syllable name (Arizona) and it’s not quite connected to any other street in the county. One needs to go a few hundred feet into Falls Church to get to it.

You may not be able to walk to Mordor but you can drive there. It was, in fact, named because of its intersection with Furnace Road :D.

We are sympatico! See posts 111 & 125, my dear.

Bow street intersects Arrow street in Cambridge, MA, not far from Harvard.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bow+St+%26+Arrow+St,+Cambridge,+MA+02138/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e3775cacd925fb:0x9a1a7a2a76dcd802?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7xYvjmt7VAhXG4SYKHetVCDkQ8gEIJTAA

At the intersection is the Bow and Arrow Pub:

http://www.clubplanet.com/Venues/77270/Cambridge/Bow-and-Arrow-Pub

Imgur