iPad user buys a Nexus 7...

Just picked up a 32G Nexus 7 (2012).

Looking for advice on cool Apps, OS upgrades and the like - warnings too (I use my iPad mostly for reading, browsing and email).

I believe that’s a first generation Nexus 7. You should hang on to the box. The speakers might crap out.

Other than that, enjoy your Nexus 7. I have the 32gb 3G from last year.

For the Google Play Music app, you can play “All Music” which streams everything from the cloud or you can play “On Device” which plays only music that’s stored on the Nexus. So, depending on how much you listen to music and how much you listen to it away from wifi, adjust accordingly.

I like Shortyz crossword app.

At some point in the near future, you will get an OTA upgrade to version 4.4. Make sure you have set up your Google account.

The main difference between the 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7 seems to be the increased resolution and the models with 3g and LTE capabilities.

I have had both and loved both. Had to upgrade though. LOL.

Bob

My laptop died a few months ago. I was trying to decide if I wanted another laptop or if I could get by with a tablet. I finally decided that a laptop is what I needed. But the low cost of a new 2013 Nexus 7 ($239 for the 32 GB) was irresistible, especially since I had a $60 Amazon credit from Coinstar. It should arrive tomorrow. I won’t be able to compare it to an iPad, as I only have a 4th gen iPod touch as a reference point. Though I love the iPod, it doesn’t do anything my Android phone doesn’t do, so I think the Nexus should work for me.

Before I ordered the Nexus, my first choice was the Dell Venue 8 Pro (full windows 8.1), but I ultimately decided that Microsoft office programs, as much as I like and use them, would not be too useful on an 8" tablet. Still seemed like a nice bit of hardware though.

I’ll post my opinions of the Nexus 7 in the next few days.

I just got a 2nd Gen Nexus 7 in September. I’m a big fan of the MX Player app for movies. I also like Fast Notepad. Here is the thread I started in IMHO asking about Nexus/Android apps. There are some good recommendations.

Well, after having the Nexus 7 for a few days, my opinion is that, well, it’s a tablet that works just as I expected. I did just get the upgrade to Android Kit Kat tonight, but it doesn’t look too different than Jelly Bean. I think it will work as a laptop replacement.

Nice thing about the Nexus is that it automatically installed almost all of the android apps that I had installed on my phone (since I logged on under the same gmail account, I guess). Only a few didn’t: ones that didn’t have a tablet version or ones that required payment (an app that was free when I installed it on my phone is now a pay app).

As for the OP’s request for apps, the ones I use are mostly for music: Rhapsody, Sky FM, SOMA FM, and MOG. And the sound quality using headphones seems about the same on the Nexus as it is on my iPod and my Droid Razr phone, which means it is good.

Thanks for all the advice. I am quite impressed with the Nexus 7 and Android. Comparing it to the ‘skinned’ versions of Android from Samsung, Lenovo and the like - I find that I am a purist. Just don’t see the added value from another GUI layer. It updated to KitKat seamlessly.

I bought a refurb 32GB unit for $150 but sadly, I did not keep the tablet - they shipped me a 16GB unit by mistake and my only option was a return. They could not do a partial refund to meet the $120 price for the 16GB model.

I did some more comparison shopping and now think I will shop for a deal on a newer model - the higher resolution displays give (my tired old eyes) a better browsing experience. Must have acclimated to a retina display.