(Forgive me… I’m in a mood)
News talk shows. Our governmental bodies. This board right here.
It seems like there is a significant amount of time and effort spent on demonizing our ideological opponents. It seems that a very small percentage of people truly want to listen and learn from other people, they just want to change their minds, or barring that, shout them into submission. It seems rare that a person can summon the strength of character and concede that their opponent’s points have merit.
I’m all for debate. Debate is crucial! But debate without mutual respect is a road that gets dangerous the further you travel down it.
Do I just have too short a memory to see “it’s always been like this, and it’s nothing to worry about,” or are we passing through — or worse, into — a period where we are more sharply divided than ever before?
Or rather, the past 100 years — clearly, the American Civil War was marked by a fairly extreme divisiveness.
If I’m not making any sense, I think I’m just going through what I think Jon Stewart is going through when he went on Crossfire a few years back. Link
