Is it EVER going to rain again? Mother fuck!

Goddamn it, this is ridiculous. Here in Alabama, we are in the middle of the worst drought in the nation. It was bad enough all through Spring, when it was getting drier and drier, but at least the temperatures were moderate!

Now…hoo boy, now it’s just horrible. Back in June, a friend of mine said, “Yeah it’s dry, but can you imagine if we were having a heat wave on top of it? Wow, we’d be fucked!”

Well sir, we’re fucked. No rain has fallen since the beginning of July. We have had 16 inches of rain FOR THE WHOLE FUCKING YEAR. Normally, we’d have had 35 inches by now! Before those couple of blessed rainy days in July, it’d been since MARCH that we’d gotten any rain. And to add insult to injury, we are now in the middle of a record-breaking heat wave. It’s been over 100 F for nine days running, and the soonest forecasted break is going to be in a couple of days, when it’s “only” going to be 98.

All the fields are hard-baked clay, the trees are dying en masse, and we don’t have a goddamn thing alive in our garden any more. Water restrictions, you see.

Jesus CHRIST. This is the humid Southeast. We’re supposed to be wet. We’re not supposed to be Arizona!

Oh yeah, and now we’re actually entering what would be our usual dry period, so we’re probably triple-fucked.

JUST FUCKING RAIN ALREADY.

Sorry to hear it, it’s been flooding every couple of weeks here in New York.

Also, welcome to California. :wink:

Would you stop that? Every time you say that it rains another five inches in Houston.

Send some of that shit up here. It’s really, REALLY desperate.

Oh, and right now, it’s 88 degrees outside. At 8:30. But it’s sitting at 76% humidity (but no rain.)

Anyone know what that means? Anyone? Bueller?

It means the heat index at nearly 9PM is 103 degrees.

Last night, the true temperature at 1AM - that’s in the middle of the night, people - was 90 degrees. 90! Jesus FUCK.

88 F at 6:00 AM this morning in central Arkansas, entering the dry part of Summer.

On the bright side I haven’t had to cut my grass in a month. Really. (It’s still alive but it’s not growing and Montgomery too is under water restrictions.) On the bad side my electric bill is through the roof due to the AC running non-stop.

The heat index here has broken 110 (F) several times this month. And everyday as I drive through the Shakespeare Festival to work I see people jogging- insane; even my dogs won’t go out at noon unless I drag them). How our grandparents in their long sleeved shirts and overalls coped with this is beyond me (though you’ll notice in Bama cemeteries very few gravestones with birthdates 9 months after summer).

Yeah, but you’re getting rain!

Now, you know me. You know I’m a Southern boy. I don’t mind the heat. It’s normally not that big a deal. But this is incredible. It’s like Morocco decided to up and move to the Southeastern US. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it this bad. And looking at the 10-day forecast? No rain in sight, and temps in the high 90’s to low 100’s. Insane, indeed.

I feel ya there.

It is currently 106 F with 14% humidity here. So, it does feel sticky and hot out.

We have had whopping .77 inches (officially) of rain this year. That’s right less than 1 inch! I am sure some parts of the valley have seen a scant bit more. However, our annual average is around 4 inches/year.

I have given up any hope that it will rain. 20% chance of rain means 80% chance of shaking your fist at the sky in anger.

Then again, that’s how it is in the desert. [sigh]

Maybe I will get my car washed this weekend and spend extra money for the “supreme” package or whatever they call it, in hopes that it will rain like crazy because I spent extra on it… nah- it would just make it not rain for longer.

If it makes you feel any better, hurricane season is just getting underway.

Hey, don’t bring Arizona into this. It actually rains quite a bit here in the summer. We have a monsoon season- it goes from about July 4th to Labor Day. Nanananananah so there. It also usually rains in December and January, too, a lot.

I do hope it rains for you soon, though.

And here we are in Dallas, with our three year drought ended back in early July after something like 30" of rain in three months. That’s usually what we get in a year. Our lakes are finally back up, and we were a whisker’s breadth away from flooding when it finally stopped raining on us.

And it’s raining again tonight, the remnants of a tropical storm that made landfall. Sheesh. I love the rain, but people need it more than we do.

Not nearly as bad as you; I was walking across grass on campus today and it made a sound like dry leaves when it crushed under my feet. There is a slight chance for rain Friday afternoon. It’s been over 100F all week.
Doesn’t the hurricane weather end up moving east?

We could really use one of them big tropical storms that floods it’s way up from Florida.

Seriously, we’ve been in a drought for a decade (every day I drive past property that, when I was a kid, was under water half the year. They’re building houses on it now.) This year we’d been doing okay until the heat came. Last Friday it was 107. I think I’ve lost the three azaleas I planted this spring, and they were not cheap.

HoooWeee it’s dry!

There’s a beaver dam and lake along I-75 that I pass when I’m driving up toward Chattanooga. It’s been there for many years, and I’ve never seen it dry. This year, though, the beaver lodge (which the beavers usually access through an underwater entrance) is completely on dry ground, and there’s no water in sight. Not a trickle. I can’t imagine what happens to the poor beavers in that situation.

We could use a good tropical storm or three. Just keep those 'canes below category 3, and we’ll cope (and welcome the rain).

Right now in Nashville it’s 95°, according to weather.com.

It’s 9:50pm.

Australia has been suffering drought conditions for the last four or five years. It’s reaching the point where water supplies in the Murray-Darling basin, the most agriculturally active region in the country, will soon be too low to permit irrigation. We’re talking about the region that produces 40% of Australia’s produce not having enough water to farm.

Welcome to the future of climate change. Enjoy the ride.

Weatherman says triple digits again tomorrow.

That’s it. I’m moving to Minnesota.

Idaho has craploads of wildfires going at the moment, one close enough that we’re getting the smoke from it, though nowhere near close enough that I have to evacuate or anything before anybody gets worried. We could seriously use some rain, but I’m told this time of year it simply doesn’t – in this part of the state, anyway. Apparently farther south they had at least one storm, and I want to call the weather people on the channel we get from there and laugh at the guy for being all impressed at a storm that had a – I quote – “44 miles per hour wind gust!” Dude. Try having a storm where that’s the steady wind, and the gusts are up to 60, the lightning is nonstop, and you’re convinced there’s a tornado out there somewhere!

Nobody wants to hear about the temperature where I am, though, it’s far too nice. I guess that’s one of the major advantages of being at some altitude. I don’t even have air conditioning – and I don’t need it! I do, though, need some fucking rain.

Here in Tallahassee, it’s been above 90 nearly every day since mid-May, and above 98 every day for a couple of weeks now, over 100 on several of them, with heat indices of 103-110. In the area where my house is, it has rained six times all year. Last week, lightning knocked the power out. It hasn’t helped my lawn, though. Huge swaths of it are just dead. Nothing grows there. It’s going to be a pain to get grass to grow in those spots again. Our water bill for June was $180, and that was just to prevent the lawn from completely dying.

That’s really odd, considering that where I work, ten or so miles south, it has rained so hard several times that the retention ponds are full again, after having been bone dry right through the end of July. Only one time has it rained over the entire area. The rest are highly localized storms, where it can rain like a sumbitch, so hard you can’t see, with branches coming down and flooding and everything; meanwhile a mile up the street - nothing. Areas outside the county have had EAS severe weather alerts, while we get not a drop.

I’m sure none of us would mind if it would go back to the usual pattern of rain every day at mid-afternoon for an hour or so, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen this year. I sure am looking forward to fall!