Is it just me that finds relationships suffocating?

Or to dominant ones; I wouldn’t call 1.SiL clingy or insecure but the woman would plan out everybody’s lives to the second if she was allowed to. And when she wants something done, people must understand exactly what she wants, and must already be doing it the instant she’s decided she wanted it, without her having to explain. My mother is even worse at the “how dare you not read my mind” part, but not so horrible about the “trying to plan everybody’s lives” part (or rather, Dad made it clear enough that she just wasn’t allowed to; it stuck).

2.Bro and 2.SiL are both planners, but both love having personal time and neither tries to plan the lives of other people. It’s completely different.

Maybe you can “work something out,” but it’s quite possible that you and she are just not a good match for one another.

You may be an introvert (see Ulfrienda’s post and/or more independent than average. There are people out there who, rather than cry and get angry when you try to explain that you need some time to yourself, will totally understand.

My wife is very much an extrovert and I am more of an introvert. We get along just fine and share many of the same values.

I have long set limits on how much I will be dragged out for social events. Usually once a weekend or so. When we vacation we have one day at the resort, and then one day out doing activities.

She does not understand why I don’t want to go out more but gets that it is not worth the grief of pushing me too often. If she wants to go out on her own with girlfriends or whatever, that is always fine with me, I’m not asking her to stay at home.

So different personalities can work and can complement each other.

Don’t go home after work on Friday. Hit the bar, have a few drinks, show up a few hours later.

Act like nothing happened. :wink:

With me, it’s when a guy starts getting “clingy” which, from the tenor of your OP, is kind of where you’re at.

Though it won’t help right now, may I suggest that if you get back in the dating pool you discuss the things you do to recharge on our own time and how important it is to you that you do that. Have a conversation, don’t say it as a reaction to a specific plan. And reiterate it once you’re in a relationship by following through on keeping that time to yourself if it means disappointing them.
It’s ok to disappoint people! If that makes them dump you, you’re better off finding it out now.

Did she just spring this weekend event on you, or is this something you knew was in the works? Does she consult about plans, or do you just go along with what she decides? Do you ever say no to something she wants to do?

I started seeing a guy and for our first dinner date, he called me and announced he had made reservations for dinner at a fancy restaurant. It was nice, and I had nothing else planned, so I went. A few days later, he emailed that he’d bought tickets for a show for us for Saturday night. I guess there are women who like a take-charge kind of guy, but I’m not one of them. It rubbed me the wrong way. I emailed back that I wouldn’t be able to attend the show. End of relationship. I think I dodged a bullet.

I do sometimes plan weekend events that include my current partner, usually around dog stuff, and he is kind enough to go along with me, but I give lots of warning that it’s coming up and he is free to decline without me pitching a fit if doesn’t want to go.

First of all “as softly as I could” is not always the best way to express your feelings.

I don’t know how long she’s been your girlfriend, but at the beginning of relationships many people want to soak up as much time as possible together. This can be hard on introverts but it isn’t insurmountable. It would probably help going forward if you said specific things you want to do alone rather than just say “I need alone time” at least until you’re more comfortable together. I doubt she would cry if you said “I’m going to skip out at the bbq but I’ll meet you right after for the concert”

You poor dear. That sounds awful.

Having a grown-up guy say “oh, I don’t know how would I live without you” is one of the things that get me pointed towards an anxiety attack; I discovered it when I was dating a guy who’d do that. Damn dude, you were able to do it for thirty years, fuckin’ figure it out. I’m not your babysitter, you’re taller than I am!

If you are both happy with the arrangement as it is, then good. If your approach not being valued as a valid alternative is a problem to you, and/or if your style’s supposed invalidity is a problem to your spouse, then you probably have some things that could be worked out more effectively.

Isn’t it possible that the ‘dude’ might be experiencing such a strong and profound emotion that he feels he should pick an equally powerful verbalization to express what he’s going through? Maybe language functions through hackneyed phrases most of the time, or he’s not the best at articulating his sentiments when he actually wants to say he doesn’t want to live without you. If one becomes suspicious of the motives underlying such statements, they should be wary of the plainest “I miss you” as well.

I don’t want to contradict your ideas, but I believe romantic relationships should be based on strong emotions and people should express them unequivocally at some point, either verbally or non-verbally.

First, not that particular asshole. Dude just said what he thought I must be wanting to hear. I put up with him for four months and it was four months longer than I should have put up with him (mind you, I’m still grateful to his mother for the books she loaned me).

And second, there’s ways of expressing deep and abiding love which do not involve making other people responsible for your whole life and well-being. It may be cliched, but “I love you” works much better for me than “I can’t live without you”. I am your lover, not your mother, and in fact if I were your mother, it would be my job to teach you exactly how to live without me.

This.

I’d be interested in an update after the weekend.

As others have said, from your description, I don’t see anything inherently wrong with your wishes.

Many relationships do go through a phase in which a couple wants to spend every minute of their lives together. Is it possible that you just don’t experience that phase and your relationships never get through that phase and onto a different phase?

Anyway, I don’t think your experience is the rule for relationships. Most women I know would resent having their significant others plan out their time on their behalf without consulting.

I know you’ve tried to make your wishes clear to this current girlfriend and she doesn’t seem to understand, so it’s hard to offer constructive device.

I would have said something like “I need time to myself throughout the week to do things like study to improve my career prospects, develop my skills, and just be by myself. So don’t expect that I will be available around the clock. And please do not commit me to any activity without asking me first.”

But it seems like you’ve tried that, and it didn’t work. Maybe it’s worth one more try to see if you can reach a reasonable accommodation?

Or you can just judge people for what they mean by a common phrase. It might have all these dire implications for you, but it isn’t viewed that way by the rest of society.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that people don’t actually mean to say that they will literally be unable to continue living. That’s coming from you, not them.

It depends how and when he said it, but I tend to agree with this. Being in love makes people feel more and differently than they normally do.

He could say you’re beautiful. And you could say “bullshit”. But why would you?

Hmmm… Answering my own question…
Sometimes because you absolutely do not feel the way he does.

I think it’s coming from Nava’s knowledge of the person who said it.

Sure, “I can’t live without” you, or my morning coffee, or my cellphone, or whatever, is common hyperbole. But I trust Nava to understand why this particular person in this particular context might be cause for concern.

If you have a pattern of feeling suffocated in relationships, you might want to take a look at your attachment style. If you’re avoidant, you’re much more likely to pick partners who are anxious. That means that the women you have romantic relationships try to get closer to you (feeling neglected or uncertain of your love), while you try to keep your distance (feeling suffocated or imposed upon).

I agree that if it’s said “sober” - i.e. not in the context of falling in love - then it’s disturbing. And that if there’s a mismatch - one person fell in love but the other didn’t - then it’s disturbing for a different reason (person who fell in love is oblivious to the facts).

But people in love can say some crazy shit, and they mean it, but they don’t mean it like that, know what I mean? When emotions are over-the-top, sometimes it comes out as ridiculous words. But there are no non-ridiculous word choices to be made at that moment.