Is it my imagination or is the search delay now 180 seconds?

Who said that?

I’m not sure those two options are mutually exclusive. But the delay has in fact been reduced to 180 seconds.

Wahoo!

This shorter delay is just a trial, for now. If it doesn’t screw up the MB too badly, then maybe it’ll become permanent.

A couple of days ago I clicked on ‘New Posts’ and got a delay. I checked history and had not done any search in 36 hours. Could this glitch have been related to change over to 180 second test?

No. The change was made about two hours ago, so it can’t have affected those searches.

A step in the right direction and one must be grateful for that. Perhaps one day, far in the future, we’ll catch up with the rest of the internet and have an unrestricted search function.

I can dream, can’t I?

Better check the FAQs first.

Excellent! A happy medium.

Woohoo! - Did hell just freeze over?

One board I know of accomplished this by changing servers if the index gets too large, and only keeping a few on the main index. We seem to be obsessed with being able to reach the earliest posts from the same place as the rest. They decided to maintain two servers. (Of course, they also figured out how to be completely ad supported, even if that meant having popunders on the main site.)

Another converted all the earlier posts to plain text, which removed the indexing tags. They then just let Google handle searches for that data. I don’t know if it was ever as large as ours, though. They seem pretty new.

Alright! No more “This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 296 seconds.”

I’m disappointed, I haven’t finished collecting the whole set. :frowning:

:smiley:

Just want to say I’m finding the 3-minute wait a big improvement. You wouldn’t think knocking off just a couple of minutes would make such a difference, but it really does.

Fabulous news. Thanks, whoever is responsible!

Ah, think nothing of it…

And now it’s down to two minutes! O Frabjous Day!

Yes, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thanks mucho!

I actually *used *the search function today. I avoided using it previously because it was such a maddening pile of shit. Are the boards going to crash now (more so)?