Is it too late to get a vaccination against Delta?

There’s quite a few people who apparently don’t think it’s too late.

Vaccinations rise in some states with soaring infections (msn.com)

Delta is ready when you are.

Yeah, OK - but the MOST IMPORTANT thing the vaccine does it keep you from dying or getting so sick you wind up on a respirator or in similar dire straits. If you don’t get infected at all, that’s wonderful, the ideal thing, but if you do get covid after being vaccinated you are far, far less likely to become seriously ill.

Maybe I should have bolded the last part of that passage. I absolutely believe in vaccines; I just wanted to make it clear that one dose of an mRNA vaccine is not really sufficient - you need two doses to get to the 75-90% protective efficacy.

I really, really wish I could get the vaccine, but my mom is anti-vax, so not much I can do right now. :frowning_face:

How old are you and where are you located? They’re being quite liberal about allowiing older teens to circumvent parental preferences, especially when the parents are chowderheads.

A 16-year-old in Wisconsin.

True, that. New Hampshire released some stats today. Of the 600 people in New Hampshire that have died since January when the vaccine first became available, 595 of them were unvaccinated, and 5 were vaccinated.

And with a bit under 59% of people 12 and over vaccinated fully vaccinated, we have a total of 22 people in the hospital and a total of 270 active cases.

It looks like there aren’t laws specifically allowing you to get vaccinated. Consent Laws by State: Wisconsin — VaxTeen

This site has some general resources for trying to change parents’ minds.

@CorpusNeptune - What about all the other vaxes? Have you had the polio vax, the tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vax, the measles vax, and whatever other vaxes everyone should have?

Tetanus is still around, and getting it is about as gruesome as it gets.

Nope - nothin’ (except the mandated ones).

Try to convince your mom any way you can. Do you have any underlying conditions such as diabetes or pulmonary problems?

Regardless, there are some things you can do to defend yourself, like wearing a mask and social distancing. Try to avoid large indoor gatherings as much as possible.

Or your dad. I bet you only need permission from one parent. (Unless your mom has medical custody, i suppose.)

Poking around the medical-consent-laws-by-state site, I’m surprised at how few states I’m seeing with consent laws for teenagers. And many of the states that have such a law limits it to STI vaccinations and/or treatment.

I’m happy my state has general medical consent for age 15 and up.

I generally support the idea that parents be made aware of anything involving the health of their child, including vaccinations. What I oppose is parents having the right to deny healthcare to their children. I think parents of children who refuse to allow their child access to a vaccine that will protect them against a known potentially fatal pathogen should be charged with criminal child endangerment or neglect.

In Ontario, there is no age limit, rather the patient has to have the capacity to understand the risk vs. benefit of the treatment. Effectively they are asking the child if they consent to the Covid vaccine, even if the parent brings them in. Pissed off the anti-vaxers, but no one really cares what they think.

Unless there is some reason why you are not qualified to get the vaccine, just do it.

BTW, I’m hearing now about a “Lambda Variant.” Don’t know much more about it than that.

“So, Doc, I heard you could get COVID from kissing…Nod nod, wink wink…”

Just wanted to acknowledge this wonderful bit of sorely needed levity (within an important, serious thread with plenty of informative, serious posts).

Would that include “optional” vaccines like Gardasil?