Is it too late to get a vaccination against Delta?

Given that the Delta surge is upon us and given that the minimum time for the first dose to have any positive effect at all seems to be at least a week (and about two months to get full protection from both doses), if you’re not vaxxed by now, are you just fucked?

No. But better to be vaccinated sooner rather than later.

Not necessarily. Are you unvaccinated but working from home so you’re encountering a minimum amount of people? If you are, you can get vaccinated now, wear a mask, and do the best that you can either ordering groceries etc for pick up (generally for free) or paying to have them delivered for 6 weeks. You know, like people with health issues did early last year and managed to avoid covid before the mask mandates started.

If you’re not vaccinated, not willing to wear a mask, and out and about a lot…well, yeah, your luck’s going to have to be a lot better than average to avoid delta.

The best time to get the shot was when it was first offered to you. The second best time is today.

Quoted for truth. Get the shots, even just one will help protect you, but both shots give much better protection.

Yup. If you are able to work from home and only leave home to get groceries, then you should be able to wait it out.

If available, I’d recommend Pfizer over moderna. With Pfizer its 3 weeks between shots and you reach about 95% immunity 1 week after the second dose. With Moderna its 4 weeks between shots, and 2 weeks after the second dose when immunity is at its peak. So its 4 vs 6 weeks, which in an event like this is important

It’s only too late if you have it.
GO GET VACCINATED!

Yes, please get vaccinated. People in their 20’s and 30’s are getting very very ill.

You get lots of protection about two weeks after the first shot of Moderna or Pfizer, and since not everyone who will get it will get it in the next two weeks, it’s still worth getting vaccinated.

If you haven’t been infected, it’s not too late. Please make an appointment as soon as possible.

Get it now.

The transmission rate is likely to get worse in Winter when we move back inside and kids get back in school. So your chances of catching it now might be higher than they were in March, but they are currently less than what experts anticipate for the Fall.

Get it now, and practice social distancing, etc, until enough time has passed.

The only time it’s too late to get a vaccination is in a hospital bed, dying of Covid.

That story was on the local news last night, along with a couple of not-as-weak-as-usual pushes by conservative leaders for people to get vaxxed, and that led me to ask here. I should have noted in my OP that I’ve been fully vaccinated for months. Too old to fuck around and find out.

But yeah, if someone is lucky enough to be able to work from home, they might squeak through if they follow the covid guidelines. I suspect, though, that many who haven’t already been vaccinated (and who are able to do so) also disdain the guidelines.

I would get the Pfizer vaccine to-day. And then I would seriously mask up and stay indoors as much as possible for the next 3-6 weeks until you can get that second dose and then build up your immunity. You may also consider getting a J&J vaccine and then getting a single dose of either Pfizer or Moderna in 4-6 weeks as a booster.

The only reason I recommend Pfizer over Moderna is because you can get a second jab in three weeks - it’s four weeks for Moderna. But Moderna is a very good vaccine - I’m glad I got mine.

In addition to the above, I suggest becoming a student of the virus. Read scientific papers. You can do things that may help you build up your natural immunity like taking vitamin D3, vitamin C, and zinc daily - not weekly but daily. Proper rest, exercising, watching your weight, your glucose levels, and blood pressure – all of these can tilt the outcome in your favor if you get exposed to the virus. Absolutely none of these replace vaccination, masking, and social distancing though.

That 95% number was pre-delta; it’s much less effective after dose one now, with some estimates suggesting it might only be 30-40% effective at preventing infection. You definitely need the robust antibody production of the second dose to get the real protection the vaccine affords.

I concur, but going from your first injection to full immunity after the 2nd injection is about 4 weeks total for pfizer and 6 weeks for moderna. That extra 2 weeks is important now that Delta is 80% of cases and still growing.

The Pfizer-BioNTech clinical trial evaluated vaccine effectiveness 1 week after participants had gotten their second dose. Researchers found that the vaccine was 95 percent effective at preventing COVID-19 at this point.

The Moderna clinical trial looked at vaccine effectiveness 2 weeks after participants had received their second dose. At this point, the vaccine was found to be 94.1 percent effective at preventing COVID-19.

But, still very effective at preventing severe illness, hospitalization, and death, so still worth getting.

The full vaccine course is much more effective than that. The 30-40% figure was referring to just the first dose. So, yes, first dose definitely worth getting, and second dose crucial for full immunity.

Oh, no question - I was just pointing out that two doses are much better than one.