Is it wrong to want the "Birds of America" plates?

Geico Tazmanian Devil commercial:

I like the plates in the fake second commercial. I wish they were available.

On the other hand, I’ll never buy Geico insurance.

What is wrong with Geico insurance (that isn’t wrong with any other insurance company)?

Is this commercial a tribute to the Energizer Bunny commercials?

Sure it is. Remember Sitagin Hemorrhoid Remedy, Nasotine Sinus Relief, and TresCafé Coffee?

Trivia: what was the only real product the Energizer Bunny interrupted an ad for?

Is it wrong to want the “Birds of America” plates?

No

I just googled and some seem to be available on ebay and other sites.

I really like most Geico commercials :smiley:

I view ads like these, and Flo, etc, as mini TV shows. I just watch them for fun. But I’ll never switch insurance.

The trouble is, they aren’t Allstate. I’ve been in good hands since 1978 (since I learned to drive, actually). Every time I’ve had a claim, they’ve paid with no trouble. I’m sure other companies pay, but some don’t. Some fight you, they find a way not to pay. I don’t want to switch and not find out until I’ve had an accident that I got a bad company.

Heck, I still want to watch Tiny House.

Ditto

I have AMICA they are so good with claims and rates I am suspicious they are really a money laundering front. :dubious:

It’s not wrong if one of your purposes is to find out how many ways there are to depict a cardinal.

Chateau Marmotset wine. The best thing about these fake commercials were that they were so bland they didn’t register in my brain, but then said something like “Sitagain Hemorrhoid Cream” and my brain would go on full alert and I would stare at the TV in amazement – right when that Energizer bunny broke through. Brilliant from a marketing standpoint.

Was it Pillsbury doughboy?

About 30 years ago, the postal service released a 50 State Birds & Flowers set; that’s about as close to the plates as I am going to get.

As for Geico, when I got my first car in 1984, I tried getting insurance with them; the form came back with a question written on it in pen: “Is it a turbo?” (My response: “Yes.” Theirs: “Not happening.” AAA’s response: “Is that so? Well, we’ll insure you.”)

I’ve always had “muscle cars”. Back in the day (late 70s on), there were all these stories about insurers not wanting to touch them. Like, you’d have to go to a specialty insurer to get any coverage at all.

Allstate never gave me any problem insuring them. They did insist my Camaro had a 305 rather than a 350 (the 305 was not available in that year), and I could not dissuade them. They insured me even with their error, and I escaped committing possible fraud by the expedient of never wrecking it.:slight_smile:

In the early days of the Energizer Bunny commercials, SNL had a skit where an actor held up a picture of a teenager and said, “My son was killed by a drunk driver” and then the Energizer Bunny appeared.

I don’t think that skit ever aired again.

I love the commercial the OP mentioned. FTR, I have State Farm and plan to stay with them, because they’ve paid a few claims for me (not just auto) without complaint.

Remember the “Head On” commercials? After a while, there would be a sound like a needle being scraped across a record, and someone would pop up and say some variation of, “Your commercial is so annoying, but I love your product!” I remember that there was a black guy, a blonde woman, and another woman who looked like the actress who starred in “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”.

Purina Cat Chow. At the time, Purina owned Energizer.

I’ve seen this commercial a bunch since it started airing and not until last night did I finally think “Huh, I wonder if the fake bird plates ad actually piqued anyones interest and now their bummed because it was all a ruse?”
I guess the OP just answered my question.

In a State Bird plate set, how would the northern cardinal be represented? Seven plates with a cardinal and one state’s name, or one plate with a cardinal and seven states’ names?

I’m sure it would be seven different plates. The hypothetical manufacturer of collectibles is in it to make money, and they’d make the most from completists. Why sell 44 plates when you can sell 50?

Once they’ve milked the market for U.S. State Bird plates, they can start selling plates featuring the birds of U.S. territories, including Palmyra Atoll and Baker Island. Hypothetically, of course.

I can’t remember for sure, but I think I saw more than one cardinal plate on the commercial.

I like most of them (except for the gecko and caveman series) the first few times I see them, but it doesn’t take long for them to beat them into the ground to the point that I never want to see them again.