Is my wife going to cheat on me?

One thing that will change is the person’s chances of being caught. Because once a person has been caught, they become better at concealing their malfeasance. Also, they learn that they should “deny deny deny”

Presupposing that one non sequitur is as good as another, if FormerMarine Guy cheat’s with Schroedinger’s wife, she is then only 15% unfaithful.

Capweeng!!! :slight_smile:

I do not know how to quote numerous people, or else I would respond to everyone. I am actually enjoying this thread, as I do most of them.

Now, I knew my wife cheated prior to us getting married. Which answers another question asked of me, if I knew she was married before.

This really isn’t just a question about my wife. But the subject of her cheating in a previous marriage had me thinking. I am also divorced, and cheated on my ex-wife numerous times, but we got married for the wrong reasons (NOT JUSTIFYING MY CHEATING). It also goes along with some statistics that when one marries too young, they are more likely to cheat (perhaps did not get to experience life enough?). So perhaps this explains why she cheated (married at 19) and I cheated (married at 20). No idea.

So the question for her goes the same for me. Am I more likely to cheat? I do not picture it happening, as I partied way too much in my life (you name it, I have done it, almost all of it).

I am not sure if the question was really answered, but I love it all, so please keep this discussion going.

What are the statistical probability (statistics only) of me or my spouse cheating on each other? No assumptions based on religion (although she goes to church-Catholic, perhaps to confess her sins-ahh, now I get it).

Give it a shot if you like, it would add for great discussion on this thread. That is, if you like Latin women.

There is no answer to your question, but my experience with people who are known cheaters is this: Once a cheater, always a cheater.

Heheh…Keep a keen eye, brother. :slight_smile:

Make that a 200% chance of her cheating on you dude! :wink:

My ex-wife was a latina also. Before I got married, I was messing around with a couple of married latin women. Wow, this sucks.

Statistics anyone?

A minor nitpick: “More than once a week” is not the same as “twice a week or more”. A person might, for instance, attend every Sunday and occasionally on some other holy day, which would be “more than once a week”.

It also seems to me that at least some data free from reporting bias could be obtained from genetic studies. You could, for instance, take pairs of male cousins who allegedly have the same paternal grandfather, and see how many of the pairs share the same Y chromosone (I suggest cousins rather than brothers for the sake of anonymity: This way, if they don’t match, it’s not clear who exactly cheated). Given enough pairs, you should be able to produce an estimate of how many children, or even how many children in a particular demographic, have a father other than their alleged father, which would in turn be a reasonable estimate of the incidence of women cheating on their husbands. This would, of course, introduce some new biases (it would not, for instance, catch a woman who cheated with her husband’s brother, and it’s possible that women having an affair are more likely to use birth control or get abortions). But it would, at least, remove the reporting bias that’s so uncontrolled in surveys on matters like this.

LOL…I was thinking the same thing :slight_smile:

Don’t forget that there’s a likelyhood that religious people are less likely to admit to cheating than non-religious people, as well. I’m a little suspicious of any statistics that require the questioner to bare their soul to the poller.

That still doesn’t prove much. Different groups (e.g. religious vs. non-religious) will have differences in use of contraception and abortion, for example.

Let me tell you what I believe:

People on this board that know me personally have heard me say numerous times that anyone will cheat given the right circumstances. This puts the possibility at 100%. The likelihood of course isn’t 100% but the possibility is.

What are the circumstances? Too numerous to list but my imagined scenario involves a couple finding that there has been an extended time where they are at distance with one another emotionally, whether it be due to distractions caused by recent changes in job or financial situations, who knows? The list of possibilities are endless. Communication breakdown occurs due to couples spending more time thinking about what went wrong rather than discussing it with one another and that only adds to the confusion. This gets followed by resentment for the current situation and further breakdown of communication leading into insecurity in themselves and the relationship.

Wash rinse repeat.

Along comes a third party that brings all of this to a shuddering stop by sweeping all of your insecurities off the table and giving you the attention you were missing. It could start out innocently enough. Just a friendly person and nothing else. Suddenly this person is recognized by your SO as a threat (maybe unjustifiably) and that puts further strain on the existing relationship. More resentment. Accusations fly. Third party is constantly saying how lucky your SO is for having you and should trust you more, perhaps suggesting that if they were your SO, they’d treat you better.

Spark.

Ignition.

Inevitability.

I assure you that I could draw up a detailed scenario that would have your SO nodding in agreement if they were being honest with themselves (and you), and I also know that you would be surprised at how easily the scenario could come about.

If it makes you feel better This former SO of mine was very latina.

That is a legitimate criticism.

On the other hand, someone who says, “I’ll never believe this, no matter what data are shown to me,” is not acting reasonably. If the data or conclusions may be attacked, that’s one thing. To assert that, no matter the evidence, a belief you hold will not change, that’s… well… pretty religious, I’d say.

I think that’s true to a large extent. Unless the person has significantly changed and/or matured, you’re not very smart starting off a relationship with someone who is/was a cheater.

So many people enter into relationships thinking that they’re different, that they won’t be cheated on or treated like the previous boyfriend/girlfriend was. Well most people just don’t change their stripes overnight, and when the thrill is gone in 6 months or a year or two, woe unto you.

I remember reading a study that had DNA tests of the married husband to the children, and approx 10% were not related. Seeing the window of opportunity is only a few days per month, and the assumption that most women would prefer not to have a child by another man, that’s pretty high odds of cheating. Let me try to find the study.

I know one person that has a kid that’s not her husband’s, and he doesn’t know.

I’m sure there are a lot of illegitimate children out there. Who knows, maybe my kid isn’t really biologically mine. Not impossible. This probably tends to be a “can’t happen to me” issue that never occurs to husbands.

Can’t find it quickly, other than a ref to the “University of Sterling” and some BBC broadcast. Too frickin’ hot today to sit in the office. Their position was that some women seek out strange men instead of husbands for genetic reasons, the exact opposite of the point I was trying to make.