Is stating "Women can change their behavior to lessen their chance of sexual assault" misogynistic?

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with talking about steps one can take to mitigate risks. I make sure my house is well lit, locks are secure, and my shrubbery doesn’t obstruct the view of doors and windows from the street in order to make my house less attractive to burglars. But when my neighbor’s house is broken into I won’t tell him he could have avoided this situation it if only he did x, y, or z.

I don’t “got” to make statements regarding women. I do feel the need to question people who make wide sweeping statements about things that are incorrect. Well, not need per se, but responding to posters on this message board.

But according to the poster to whom I was responding, your suggestion is not possible, because woman cannot change their behavior to lessen their chances of be assaulted.

…can you concede that in the ATMB thread you didn’t stipulate you meant “assaulted by people who don’t normally have access to them in their home”, and since you didn’t, the statement " “If a woman just stayed at home, locked in her bedroom wearing a burka, it would significantly lower her chances of being assaulted” is simply not factual?

Only if you want to put forth the opinion that no women get assaulted outside their home.

You were being pedantic( yes, this is the pot calling the kettle black ). Needlessly pedantic, because everyone knows that staying locked in a vault your entire life will lessen the possibility of rape. It also should reduce your odds of getting skin cancer. Also living as a property-less aesthete in a monastery will lessen your odds of going bankrupt. Chopping off your hands will likely eliminate having to sit through those dire piano lessons your parents insist on. Etc.

Folks jumping on you for being a misogynist were giving you credit for being something other than blankly factual.

Frankly, nobody likes needless pedantry except the pedant( this is the pot speaking again ).

ETA:

Also, that.

IMHO, it depends on the timing.

If you tell someone beforehand, “If you leave your car keys in your car ignition, you run the risk of the car being stolen,” that’s pointing out that behavior increases risk.

If you tell someone *after *their car is stolen, “Why did you leave your keys in the car?”, that seems to be shifting moral blame away from the car thief.

Women who get assaulted by partners might *increase *their chances of being raped by staying home in a burka (rather than being out in public with plenty of witnesses)

Are you serious? “Your breasts are beautiful” is a factual statement. Does it really seem strange to you that in some contexts it would be appropriate, but in others it would be egregiously misogynistic?

You made a factual statement. Is it really so hard to grasp that the context in which you made it is critical?

Now, it’s a matter for debate to what degree the particular statement you made in that particular context was misogynistic. But surely you can accept that “but it was factual” is not a valid defense in itself.

it is interesting- i can minimize my chances of being mugged walking down the street in a bad area by doing certain things- walking fast, talking to myself, acting annoyed, holding a hand in my pocket like I have a gun, etc. and someone telling me that would not be insulting me, and the woman scenario is similar. I think in society its just one of those things you dont say, even if there is some truth to it. Like when Bush Sr.'s wife said, in defense of son, many poor displaced by katrina actually got a better life and/or housing situation out of it- in many cases true, but seen as tacky nonetheless.

That’s…that’s not how time works. That’s not how any of this works.

A woman who normally spends 12 hours in a 24-hour day outside the home, and then 12 hours in the home, might decide to eliminate all her time outside the home.

That doesn’t make the day 12 hours long. It means she spends more time in the home.

And if the risk of assault is roughly similar whether you’re at home (where partner/relative/roommate assault can occur) or outside the home, staying at home doesn’t eliminate any risk at all.

Or you could never leave your home at all! That would also minimize your chances of getting mugged.

Which, to be clear, is the suggestion here. Not reducing chances of sexual assault by holding your keys as a weapon, carrying pepper spray, talking to yourself or acting annoyed.

Apparently not everyone, since at least one poster on this board thinks that woman cannot change their behavior to lessen their chances of being assaulted.

You can’t possibly be serious with this.

What exactly is “interesting”? Obviously the much greater sensitivity to any appearance of victim blaming in sex crimes against women is because we have a long history of actual victim blaming in sex crimes against women.

How old are you? (Approximate decade is specific enough.) Men definitely hear that now, and the idea that only female rape victims are criticized for their behavior is not true.

Example: Several years ago, a young man was murdered at a now-closed strip club in my town. I know that I am not the only person who thought, “That man should not have been partying in a strip club at 3:30am, or any other time; he should have been at home with his wife and baby” and while that’s true, he didn’t deserve to die for it either.

That’s a legitimate point. If the risk of assault is similar to whether you’re at home or outside the home. Anything to substantiate that?

Well, with your selective quote I see that you’re taking care to avoid the substance of the point I made.

Were you serious in the suggestion in your OP that if a statement is factual it cannot be racist or misogynistic?

Of course I’m serious. But “Your breasts are beautiful” is not a factual statement.

No. But the point is, your claim was not a “simple fact.” It’s complicated, and not necessarily factual.

interesting in that such suggestions are deemed wrong in society, I think because they seem to be assumed to be based on the premise of ‘women, you make guys do this, here is how to not make make innocent men assualt you’, when the premise is better thought as 'women, there are horrible assholes out there, always will be, even though nothing you could possibly do warrants assault, here is how to help avoid being the victim of an asshole"?