Is there any serious scientific debate about water fluoridation?

The topic says it all. Is there any serious(i.e. not crackpot) scientific evidence against water fluoridation? I was under the impression that it was a slam dunk, but somehow my city is holding a referendum as to whether it should be continued.

Not that I know of, but remember the Kansas state school board voted to teach intelligent design without even mentioning pirates. Just because some local government is going along with it does not mean they are basing their decision on sound logic.

Pirates? What are you talking about, matey?

And, back to the OP, the main (legitimate) concern seems to be “dental fluorosis”.

Maybe he means something like The Pirates of the Saskatchewan (River). :smiley:

Last time this issue came up here I did some research, and as far as I can tell, it is indeed a slam dunk, but you keep on having people not getting it, like with vaccinations, and you keep on having politicians who don’t have the intestinal fortitude to tell the fringe groups to stfu and gtfo already.

WarmNPrickly is referring to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, whose theology involves pirates. This “religion” was created in response to the Kansas State Board of Education permitting the teaching of intelligent design as an alternative to Darwinian evolution.

Here is Wikipedia’s summary of the anti-fluoridation positions. I am not qualified to judge the merit thereof.

So is it a slam dunk that it’s a good thing or a slam dunk that it’s a bad thing or a slam dunk that it’s a waste?

A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That’s the way your hard-core Commie works.

I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids!

If it’s a city thing … maybe the municipal budget is strapped for cash and they’re looking at this as a potential way to cut back on spending?