Is there no redirect message when a thread is moved to a new forum?

Valid point, I forgot about those. I have seen them occasionally.

I think we’re getting closer to having a tech admin. Once we do, that would be a great time to revisit issues like this.

You mean over 46% of the time my questions are not rated as boring? Hah! I’m doing better than I thought.

Back to the moved thread that caused me to start this discussion: it has indeed died off; there have been zero responses since it was moved. But that doesn’t prove anything; it may very well have died a natural death and would not have attracted any additional responses even if it hadn’t been moved. (Anyway, @Procrustus already gave me the info I was looking for, so it’s all good.)

I don’t know what this says about the board, but your 46% not boring rating was in the top five, so congratulations!

I resent that the mods are paying so much attention to @CairoCarol 's redirect needs, when my irrigation system needs some maintenance.

I think you are misinformed. We’re far better at irritation than irrigation. Ask anyone.

Yes; I think you misread what we’re good at. :wink:

What is this inbox you speak of? Your email? If so I humbly suggest you may not be doing things in the best possible way for your goals.

I have subscriptions set up to track any thread I post to or read for more than 4 minutes. But I get zero emails. When somebody posts to any such thread, the thread is simply added to my unread page. And to the browser icon for SDMB. Next time I come here, all my threads of interest are all lined up for me to read from oldest at the bottom to newest at the top. If a thread jumps forums I neither know nor care.

What are these settings?
Under your avatar, choose the person icon, then “Preferences”.

On that page, select the “Emails” entry from the left side menu. Set the second choice to [never].

Select the “Notifications” entry from the left side menu. Set the second choice to [after 4 minutes] and the third choice to [Tracking].

Select the “Interface” entry from the left side menu. Check the box for “Show counts on browser icon”.

Click [Save Changes].

As long as you’re visiting the Dope at least every couple of days you won’t miss a thing you’re interested in. The tracking feature is really much better than trying to remember “I have 2 threads in IMHO and 4 (or was it 5?) in MPSIMS.”

Thanks, it was nice of you to take the time to write all that out. I’m sure those are good instructions. I’d follow them if I wanted to carefully track multiple threads with care. At this point in my life, I would just rather browse as I don’t want to get into a situation where I’m sucked into reading so many threads consistently.

(It’s very hard to write this without worrying that it comes across in a snarky or ungrateful tone - believe me, no snark intended and I do appreciate it. Maybe someday if I’m more focused on what’s going on here, I’ll do as you suggest. Thanks again.)

No worries. I totally get it. There are so many settings and most of us aren’t inclined to become Discourse gurus just to waste a few minutes a day here.

It’s just morons like me that waste a few hours a day here who have reason to dig into the minutiae.

That Discourse has a default to send out email is IMO spammy as hell. “Make it stop!” has been the wail of several OPs since the cutover.

I feel the same as you. And I love this site, I am proud/ashamed to say I easily spend more time on this site than any other site on the web. But subscribing makes it feel like an obligation to follow threads and this is a hobby, not a chore.