Is this against the law?

Co-worker says he has trouble staying awake behind the wheel sometimes. He has come up with some “interesting” strategies to stimulate himself.

One of them is riding thru neighborhoods lying on his horn. Sometimes he’ll just drive thru and randomly honk. But, on occasion, he wil lie on his horn long enough that people would wake up and peek outside, dogs start barking, and babies start crying, etc. We deliver during the early morning hours.

I find this funny as hell, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this sort of thing was illegal. I have been trying to be more conscious about legality lately, especially while on the job. I told him that he needs to cut it out, because I don’t want him to get in trouble. He said there are no such laws about horn usage. Is he right? I’m assuming while there aren’t any specific laws, pulling off stunts could be considered as “peace disturbance”.

He also argues that since it’s dark and so early in the morning and he has tinted plates his vehicle won’t be identified. So, what would happen if he does get caught anyway? How serious are peace disturbance penalties?

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are local ordinances against excessive noise during the early morning hours. Not to mention the fact that he’s being a dick.

He does this early in the morning waking up people who may need the sleep andand doesn’t see an issue with it? Your friend is a sociopathic asshole at best. It is disturbing the peace in most jurisdictions and he can be charged with it. There is something they can charge him with in every jurisdiction if they want to. Stuff like that pushes people over the edge sometimes too so maybe someone will just snap sometime and take some shots at him. I am sure a jury would by sympathetic.

I have no idea why you find babies crying in the early morning to be funny. It sounds like you and your friend are made for one another.

Not only is he being an obnoxious nuisance, but if he’s really having trouble staying awake - honking his horn isn’t going to really help. When your body needs sleep, it’s going to get it.

Your coworker is a fucking imbecile and should be neutered post-haste.

FWIW, in New York anyway,

I’m sure most other states have similar laws.

Depending on where he is driving, a tinted plate cover may be illegal. Calfornia says:

I was also concerned about people reacting violently towards him, too.

He doesn’t find this an issue because HE’S up early in the morning. And working too. He thinks if he can tough it out, others can too. And he thinks people should be up by then cooking breakfast…it’s like an alarm clock.

You can’t hear babies crying in your car, from a house. I didn’t mean that literally. I was exaggerating. But people have peeked outside and dogs have barked, every now and then.

He knows that honking the horn is ineffective in keeping him awake. But it’s the reactions that gives him a jolt, and not even that sometimes. Sometimes just the idea that he’s being a nuisance cracks him up and helps him stay awake. Yeah, he’s weird kid.

You and your co-worker are both unmitigated assholes.

Report his falling asleep at the wheel to the employer. He is going to kill someone.

Sleep-driving =/= “up” or “toughing it out”.

I’d suppose that if someone came by your houses in the late evening when you’re sleeping it’d also be “funny as hell”?

Dudes tend to get over the top angry about this sort of thing, as in “firing a couple loads of double-ought buckshot into the truck’ over-reacting.

It is illegal, but I admit it’s unlikely you’ll just happen to run into a cop who is waiting for that. What’s more likely is that it will be reported to the company who will fire the both of you.

Why? Immature, yeah. But, what he’s doing seems annoying, but pretty benign.

He has not fallen asleep, that I know of. He uses this method as a means of prevention. He uses several other means, such as drinking red bull.

So, aside from the fact that he has absolutely no right to make lifestyle decisions for anyone but himself, he’s too dumb to understand that not everyone works and lives on the same schedule as him? He’s seriously never heard of a 9-5 job? Or second shift? There’s at least some of those people who literally just got to bed when he decided that they should “tough it out” and wake up again. When “should” they sleep, then?

:rolleyes:

And yes, you are also an asshole for finding it funny. Basic respect for other people is not optional if you want to live in – and benefit from – a society. If respecting others is too much bother for you, you’re free to remove yourself from society and go live in the wilderness. No people to bother you there.

Perhaps he should try amphetamines. Also illegal, but less disturbing to the neighborhood and safer for others on the road too.

What I think about this response can’t be shared outside the pit. People are entitled to their sleep.

Why didn’t I think of using my car alarm to wake myself up every morning instead of wasting money on coffee?

Someone ought to deck him first before cops can get him. That will wake him up… ur maybe not.

I am concerned that people are not reacting violently towards him. Surely people shooting guns at him and throwing bricks at his car will give him the “jolt” he needs to stay awake during his deliveries.

So being a jerk keeps him awake. Nice.

I hope he gets cited.

Tell him that he is likely to be cited for disturbing the peace, inciting a riot, mayhem, mopery, and ,oh, two busted taillights. I am sure a policeman that lives in one of those neighborhoods could come up with a few more. I would try to get the Federal Migratory Bird Act involved in there somewhere too because that carries some stiff federal penalties.

It is most definitely, 100%, illegal where I live.

Oh, and your friend is a dick. I really hope he gets hit by a big fine. Soon.