Is this normal? (Work related)

Or he could just be your garden variety socially awkward person. The point is, you are not required to take rides from anybody, nor to associate with anybody who makes you uncomfortable. And you should listen to your gut as long as your gut isn’t always yelling.

I vote sociopath. And read the deBecker book.

Alwasy trust your instincts. Bad people are far more common than you’ve been led to believe.

Even if its not the more exciting / melodramatic cases as written above, my husband always advised that the person who tries hardest to be your friend is exactly the person you don’t want as a friend. That advice has always been spot-on for me, especially in regards to work acquaintances.

If you’re new, and they are trying so hard to be your friend, why is it they aren’t really friends with anyone else at work. There’s a reason, you’re just too new to realize what it is.

Well, that only goes for the guy who isn’t friends with other people at work.

You’ve already told him “no” several times. You no longer owe him any explanation for anything. And if you don’t have to directly work/take orders/communicate with him in any way, I wouldn’t even acknowledge him. If he STILL persists, you’ll have to tell him off in a pretty harsh and public way, with some pretty foul language. It may get you in trouble at work, but hey, no job is worth your life; not even in these times.

Yeah, that was my first thought.

Just let him give you a blow job in the toilet at lunch some day and he’ll quit asking you to let him drive you home.

Then, and this is where I show off how incredibly clever about these things, ask your boss if you can work through lunch and go home a half hour earlier.

There you go. There’s no need to thank me.

Of course you could skip step 1 and go directly to step 2. But hey, we’re talking a blow job here.

Wow, very interesting case here. What’s the latest dev on this if anything?

Yeah, at some point he’s gonna ask you if you know how to play “Hide the Wienie”

I worked with a guy that was kind of like mentioned in the OP, it turned out he was trying to find guys who would bone his wife while he watched and jacked off. Some people just give off the sad and desperate vibe and that’s all you really need to know.

UPDATE:

I recently was rehired by the company last week, and on the very first day back he offered me a drive home (this was with other people I work with, a carpool) anyway, I point blank refused to accept a drive home. Same thing happened the next day, luckily I ride to work on my bike now.

What happened next was one of my friends explained to the guy why I never wanted a lift from him, and told me that they had a few laughs about it, I don’t mind about that, the guy doesn’t speak to me anymore, my friend said that he doesn’t wanna bother trying with me.

Well, thanks for the update. That guy still sounds odd.

Well, he may not be a creep, he may just be really co-dependent and thinks he has to help everyone. I have a co-worker like this. Mention that you want a snack and she offers to go to the store to buy it. Ask her if she’s ever been to a produce stand in her neighborhood because you’re thinking of shopping there and she offers to go pick up the produce for you, no I was just asking if you had any experience with the place.

She is just so co-dependent that she thinks she has to take care of everyone and please everyone that she gets insistent and annoying about it and yes, it does get a bit creepy.

I’m not sure I understand that last sentence. what exactly did your friend tell him? And what was his response?

Sounded to me like friend told creeper why OP doesnt accept his offer for rides, and creeper and friend laughed about the misunderstanding. Creeper probably realized he was being creepy at this point, and doesn’t bother the OP anymore.

At least I hope that’s what happened. Awkward workplace relationships really suck.

I didn’t realize that you used to be a Congressman…

My sense is that the creeper was trying something and has given up. So that’s good. But trying what? Was there any indication?

Any unsolved disappearances of people who look like you within 100 miles? Unsolved found murder victims? I’m just sayin’.

I agree if you think something is wrong, be polite but follow your gut instincts.

I knew of a similar guy. He was kind of creepy, harmless but he had no social skills. Poor guy he just wanted a friend and he’d creep people out in the processes.