It's been blowing since Tuesday

From Whatcom Scanner Report:

15 mins
Smith & Everson Goshen, tree fell in car. No injuries.

30 mins
There was a tree across the freeway southbound before Guide Meridian

26 mins
Garrison Rd. near E. Badger, pole down with lines still attached, blocking roadway.

1 hr
PSE being advised of WTA bus with power lines caught around bus’ bike rack.

1 hr
Bradley Rd, Lynden - Roof blew off mobile home, is blowing around.

1 hr
E. Badger & Nooksack Rd. Small building blew onto roadway.

And so on…

I shot some video out the window.

LOL!

I heard on the news that a gust was recorded at Mount Baker (up Johnny L.A.'s way) at 117 MPH. Down here in Tacoma, they’ve been in the 30’s. The winds died down about 1:00 and are now picking up a little now.

That video you linked of the waves crashing into the car deck of the ferry is impressive, Johnny. Those poor employees getting drenched! Wow! What surprised me, though, was the amount of rust on the Hyak’s bulkheads. I’ve been riding Washington ferries all my life and have never seen that. The Hyak might be due for a visit to a drydock soon.

I just tried to post a couple of videos to Imjur. I shot them this afternoon at the beach. Unfortunately, Imjur limits videos to 30 seconds. One is 0:34 and the other is 0:44. Sorry. In any case, the waves were crashing, water was coming over the sea wall, there are logs on the road – which is covered with water, and a house on the corner is flooded up to the front door. I read a report earlier of a car trapped in the water down toward the state park. We wondered how it wound up in the bay, but from the looks of the shore up this way, it may have been stranded on the road.

OK, here is an article with pics. The scene is Birch Bay Drive and Harborview Road, a short walk from our house.

My friend has a trailer in Birch Bay. Her place is ok, but the pictures she has been posting have been pretty crazy.
It was bad all day in Vancouver. I live in a residential neighbourhood with lots of big trees, no big ones down but many branches on the roads. The wind actually interupted my class today, the power lines and the creaking of hydro poles made everyone stop and stare out the window.

I actually opted not to go shopping tonight, I never thought I would see the day when I hurried home because of wind.

Did you see what the wind & waves did to White Rock Pier? Very sad.

I did not. Got pics?

My daughter has a friend who’s a Customer Service rep for Tacoma Public Utilities. He was taking an outage call yesterday when the building … lost power. They weren’t down for very long, but apparently it didn’t occur to anyone that the public utilities building would need a backup system.

(There may not be many benefits to living in Tacoma, but TPU is definitely one of them. I’ve lived here most of my life, and the longest outage I can recall involved a substation failure and lasted perhaps five hours. Usual downtime is under an hour. Oh, and we have an alternative to Comcast, neener neener neener.)

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article223395810.html

At the 25 second mark, you can see damage to the clock tower at St. Joseph’s Hospital. Apparently the winds in Bellingham gusted to 70 mph.

Seems odd, but I kinda miss the 60-70 mph windstorms. Gets windy in Colorado from time to time, but never like that. Scary as hell when you’ve got 250 foot Douglas Firs wobbling around and tapping on the windows, but awesome at the same time.

Mrs. L.A. and I both lived in the Mojave Desert. Our house up here has a nice big window in front. I was watching the leaves and debris blow at a high rate of speed up the street (our street is perpendicular to the shore) and said to Mrs. L.A., ‘Needs tumbleweeds.’

Better - moving pictures!

There was a beachside restaurant in Birch Bay that the winds and waves were particularly hard on. All the bayside windows got smashed out and the building quickly was knee deep in water. The videos here are pretty astonishing, especially all that water, with chairs and bar stools carried along with it, streaming out the front door as if a river was flowing through it. Apparently, the folks who own the restaurant had recently opened it after months of hard work getting the place ready. Sure feel bad for them.

It doesn’t seem like winter in the Pacific Northwest without a good November/December windstorm or two. I kind of look forward to them. Of course, in the nearly sixty years I’ve been here, I’ve never suffered any damage or even a prolonged power outage from them. I’m sure my attitude would change if that were the case.

Wow. White Rock is about 4 miles directly north from here.

Wow again. That place is always closing and reopening. In the last iteration, we sat for 10 minutes and were never even brought water, so we left. Haven’t been back.

Facebook video. The seaward lane of Birch Bay drive is obliterated.