It's official - you have to be more ignorant than Pat Robertson to be a young-earth creationist

Progress, I guess.

His beliefs have evolved?

Clearly, Pat just isn’t a True Christian.

Let me guess: he thinks the planet is 10,000 years old, right?

No, silly. It’s 12,000 years old.

How else would there be fossilized human footprints right next to dinosaur bones?

Is this a change for Robertson? If so, he’s not necessarily firing on all cylinders anymore.

YEC estimate is about 6,000 to 10,000. I would guess that Pat believes in an more accurate number, but doesn’t believe life evolved. I’d think yes, microevolution, no, macroevolution. I’m not sure where he’d go with Adam and Eve or Noah though.

Answers in Genesis is the big YEC group. It’s funny when they duel with OEC Old Earth Ministries, formerly Answers in Creation. It’s easier to side with the latter in that fight, but then that starts to feel wrong. But their heads aren’t nearly as far in the sand.

I thi

Um, what definition of “omnipotence” are we working with here? :rolleyes:

No, he said something like this two years ago. Then again after the Bill Nye debate.

He’s also in favor of legalizing pot.

Whatever one happens to work at the moment. Duh.

Pat Robertson looks like he might not be younger then 6,000 years.

Young Earth [del]Cretinism[/del] Creationism as we know it is a fairly young dogma; it’s always existed among Christians, but Church Fathers as far back as Origen and Augustine were not YECs and classical YEC beliefs declined throughout the 18th and 19th Centuries. It wasn’t until the birth of modern Fundamentalist Evangelicals in the 20th Century that it was revived in the modern, explicitly anti-liberal anti-humanist form we know and laugh at today. Older, more staid traditionalist Christian sects aren’t as focused on fighting that battle, so they don’t feel the need to be YECs.

So my point is, Pat Robertson might well not believe in Young Earth Creationism because he’s just too old.

Perhaps Robertson is giving his god the benefit of the doubt of not being such a giant asshole as to make the Earth look, by every conceivable measurement, 4.5 billion years old just to fuck with us.

irony! :wink:

Man, when Pat Robertson can look down on you…

Hey, I’d buy that. I just found the wording funny, is all.

but… I’m in favor of legalizing pot! I have to go rethink my stance now. :smack:

I’ve watched Pat since the 1970’s. His belief in an Ancient Universe/Earth is not new.

THIS is new!

“After that, there was a point of time that there was a particular human being that God touched — and that was the human that started the race that we are now part of.”

That is consistent with Theistic Evolution or at least a Pre-Adamic Humanity.

No, it isn’t. How?

Going just by what Friar Ted posted — I haven’t listened to the video — that seems like the very definition of theistic evolution. To wit: the thesis that something like evolution through natural selection occurred but was to some degree divinely directed.