iTunes users - what have you downloaded lately?

I picked up an iPod for an early birthday present, and it was love at first sight. In fact I’m listening to it now even though I’m sitting at my computer that has a decent pair of speakers and all the same songs. :smiley:

Anyhoo, I crammed my music collection on to this bad boy (which is more substantial than I thought - 2322 songs, about six days worth of music) and I’m wondering what else I should grab. So I thought I’d see what my fellow dopers have been downloading. :wink:

Lately I’ve nabbed the following:

Tori Amos – A Tori Amos Collection - Tales of a Librarian (album)

I’ve never really been into her, but “A Sorta Fairy Tale” turned me on to her big time. I bought this album to hear a little more of her older stuff. I especially enjoy “Winter” and “Cornflake Girl.” Oh, and “Bliss” and “Pretty Good Year.” I also liked that it was only twelve bucks for 22 songs. :wink:

Nelly Furtado - Try (single song)

I never would have heard this song had it not been featured in Apple’s “The Next Best Thing” collection for March. All I knew about Furtado was that she was responsible for that abysmal “I’m like a bird” song not too long ago. I listened to “Try” however and loved it. It doesn’t sound like her old stuff at all. I pulled her up on the music store to check out the rest of the album, and it turns out “Try” doesn’t sound much like her new stuff either. Nothing else in her collection sounds remotely survivable to me, but I do like this one. :wink:

Switchfoot - Live EP (partial album)

I’m not a big fan of live recordings, but I pretty much have to own anything that’s Switchfoot-related so I downloaded the three songs from this one. They’re all excellent too; these guys really rock live (I saw 'em a couple of years ago here in Dallas and they were great). It’s cool to see Switchfoot getting some mainstream recognition finally. They’re way too good for Christian-rock-band-obscurity.

Liz Phair - Insanity (song)

I think this one is an iTunes exclusive. Cool song too, if you like her new stuff. If you hated her new album (from what I understand a lot of her fans did) you probably wont like this either, but it’s getting some playtime on my iPod. :wink:

10,000 Maniacs - More Than This (song)

I had this song stuck in my brain after seeing Lost in Translation so I did a search for it looking for a decent version (I’m not terribly keen on Roxy’s original). I found this version by the 10,000 Maniacs, and it’s awesome. The Maniacs weren’t the same after Natalie Merchant left, but the singer who replaced her is good enough to make this one a keeper.

So… anyone else? :smiley:

Well, I’m a confirmed Mountain Dew drinker, but I went ahead and bought a 20oz Pepsi just to see if I’d get a free song. I did. Downloaded The One I Love by R.E.M.

I downloaded some iTunes exclusives: the new Los Lobos EP, as well as some Yeah Yeah Yeahs and White Stripes. Oh yeah, and Charlie Rich’s version of Mohair Sam; always wanted that one.

Talking of iTunes, the best value in the entire store may very well be the Los Lobos collection “Just Another Band from East LA.” A two-disk best-of collection for 10 bucks; hell, there’s no excuse for not jumping on that.

Yesterday, I bought This Woman’s Work by Kate Bush, Needle of Death by Yo La Tengo, She Says by Howie Day, and It’s a Wonderful Life by Sparklehorse.

Just an hour ago or so:

Are You Gonna Be My Girl? by Jet (of course!)
Sweet Child o’ Mine, by Guns ‘n’ Roses

I felt a strange dorky pride when I checked out their BNL stuff and realized I already had every single song the iTMS had.

I’m pissed at Pepsico because I’m an avid Diet Pepsi drinker and I still haven’t seen any of the iTunes promotional bottle caps in the Southern California area! :mad:

That said, according to the iTMS, my last purchase was Bob the Builder’s “Can We Fix It?” on 1/18/2004. I plead four-year-old toddler. :smiley:

Before that, it was Rob Zombie’s “Two-Lane Blacktop” and Overseer’s “Supermoves.”

This month?

Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. (Catchy song, I say, say, say.)

16 Shells from a Thirty-Ought Six and Goin’ Out West by Tom Waits.

The Main Title from the Braveheart soundtrack. (It was the wrong track, as it turns out…I was looking for the clip they played during the Oscars.)

If You’re Not The One by Daniel Bedingfield. (Shut up.)

Zombie by The Cranberries.

In just under a year, I’ve spent $103, at 99¢ a song. And it was all worth it. :cool:

I got hooked through Pepsi. I’ve downloaded three:

Rosalita by Bruce Springsteen
Superman’s Song by the Crash Test Dummies
Room to Move by John Mayall

I’ll also be downloading Rick Wakeman’s The Six Wives of Henry VIII. The price makes is irresistable.

My latest DownLoad :

Istanbul (Not Constantinople),They Might Be Giants
I was watching ‘mona lisa smile’ and then I had to buy it.

I have 17 songs but I had a gift card ($10) for christmas I was using and then a few free pepsi caps.

But I am BUYING songs now. I cant say that there an alternitive to stealing them anymore, I really like my free napster songs!
Jordan

Hmm, Howie Day sounds pretty good - I’ve never heard of him before this.

That’s what I’m hoping to get out of this thread. :wink:

Sparklehorse’s “It’s a Wonderful Life” makes me happy everytime I hear it.

I’ve had my iPod for a while now but just starting using iTunes for downloading music (I’ve just been ripping ‘em off of my CDs.) I must say that Pepsi’s promo is genius…(bastards).
So far, I’ve just downloaded the new Indigo Girls’ CD “All that We Let In” and a John Wesley Harding live version of “You’re No Good”.

Cyndi Lauper’s At Last album. Saw her in concert in February and had to have it.

Widelife All Things the Queer Eye theme.

Robbie Williams Rock DJ

Deborah Cox Absolutely Not and Nobody’s Supposed to Be Here

Whatever you do, for God’s sake turn off the one-click shopping option!

iTunes Music Store + One-click shopping = digital crack

:smiley:

Absolutely agree!

Big word about the one-click shopping. Very very dangerous. :smiley:

I was checking out the celebrity playlists last night and heard “All The Right Reasons” by The Jayhawks on the Jars of Clay list. I listened to the samples from Rainy Day Music and went ahead and downloaded it. Great album! I had heard lots of good things about it before, but had never gotten around to picking it up.