I've Topped The Queen Of The Dead, Or, "Tex And Jinx" Are Dead

In today’s “Sacramento Bee”, it was revealed that Euginia “Jinx” Falkenburg, who, with her husband, John “Tex” McCrary, co-hosted the long-running (1946-1959) NYC-area radio talk show “Tex and Jinx”, died yesterday at 84, and that her husband had died on July 29th.

This is, for all its’ obscurness to most of the board members, a very sad happening, as Tex and Jinx (along with Ed and Pegeen Fitzgerald, and Dick Kollmar and Dorothy Kilgallen) were the originators of the early-morning talk show.

Does anyone who remembers “Tex and Jinx” (I don’t, having been born too late and in the wrong part of the country) care to comment?

(As a personal note, I know that Eve’s on vacation now, but I’m suprised that she didn’t note Mr. McCrary’s passing a month ago.)

6 days later, and no one had responded…

I don’t mean to be a downer, Governor Quinn, but I hate morning radio talk shows with a passion.

I’m sorry to hear they passed, though.

Well, I’m glad someone filled in while I was away! I actually met Jinx, ten years ago at Lillian Gish’s funeral.

More obscure show-biz deaths:

SANTA YNEZ, Calif., Sept. 2 — The actor Rand Brooks, who played Scarlett O’Hara’s shy first husband, Charles, in “Gone With the Wind,” died on Monday at his home here. He was 84. Mr. Brooks endeared himself to western-movie fans of the 1940’s and 50’s as Lucky Jenkins, the sidekick to the hero in the Hopalong Cassidy movies and as Cpl. Randy Boone, one of the officers who take in an orphaned boy and his dog in the television series “Rin Tin Tin.” But it was as Charles Hamilton, Melanie Wilkes’s doomed brother in “Gone With the Wind,” that he achieved screen immortality.

After the film’s release, he had relatively small parts in other movies, then a regular role as Lucky in the Hopalong Cassidy series of westerns in the mid- to late 1940’s. Among the films, which starred William Boyd as Hopalong, were “Hoppy’s Holiday,” “The Dead Don’t Dream” and “Borrowed Trouble.” One of his most memorable moments on the big screen came in 1948 when he was in “Ladies of the Chorus” opposite a young actress named Marilyn Monroe. Mr. Brooks used to boast that he was the first actor to give Monroe an on-screen kiss. Television brought new opportunities, again often in westerns. Besides being a regular on “Rin Tin Tin,” Mr. Brooks had guest roles in 50’s western series including “Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok,” “The Lone Ranger” and “Maverick,” and in other series like “Perry Mason.”

After he left show business, he ran an ambulance service that became the largest private ambulance provider in Los Angeles County. He sold the company in 1994 and retired to the Santa Ynez Valley where he bred champion Andalusian horses.