J.D Vance

He wrote a book all by himself? Probably too “intellectual” to make it in republican politics

Never heard of him. Don’t like his chances. Has he even indicated he’s interested? If we’re going to make a writer president, make it Stephen King.

Said “writer”. Not typist.

Never heard of this Vance cat. But Ta-Nehisi Coates is the greatest American essayist writing today. Doesn’t mean I’d vote for him for president. He doesn’t deserve that punishment. I’d rather he keep writing as that’s what he does best.

CHealy7, you may be a nice person, but you don’t know much about American politics if you think Michael Moore or J. D. Vance could get elected President or would be particularly good in the job. The fact that someone has written a popular book about American society like Vance (or like Ta-Nehisi Coates) or has made popular films about American society like Moore doesn’t make them good candidates for President. I suggest that you spend some time watching news stories about the interplay between actual American politicians. Moore, Vance, Coates, or similar non-politicians have useful things to say about American society, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they have a good chance to be elected to anything or would be good in the positions if they were elected (or even that they want to be elected to anything).

Great advice. You left tv reality star Donald Trump off your list.

I wonder if P.J. O’Rourke would be J.D.'s choice of running mate.

Donald Trump had almost universal name recognition and was perceived by many as a phenomenally successful businessman.

J.D. Vance is known primarily among the small group of people who listen to NPR and read The Atlantic or The New Yorker.

Even Michael Moore isn’t that well known. There are those on the right who hate him, but it’s been a long time since Fahrenheit 911 and the Fahrenheit This (with a middle finger) bumper stickers.

I read Vance’s book, and my impression of him was that he was a mediocre writer who had personal experience with and insight into a particular American subculture that’s the focus of a lot of liberal elite handwringing. And due to Vance’s hard work (and plenty of help along the way), he managed to pull himself out of the morass and gain the skills to communicate with the book-buying classes. I think his book’s success had a lot to do with being in the right place at the right time.

It was a worthwhile read, but could have used another pass by a capable editor. Vance is not remotely as talented a writer as Coates. I mean, this was his first book, so he could continue to hone his craft.

On the other hand, he’s almost certainly more qualified than some Presidents, so sure, it could happen.

I don’t even think his election to the Senate is inevitable. Although I have now heard of him, all I know about him is he wrote a book about hillbillies and Trump endorsed him.

I support Courtney B. Vance for president. Johnnie Cochran and Tina Turner in the White House!

I heard something about him the other day. I think they said that Moscow Mitch is grooming him as his replacement or something.

I remember that much only because I thought Man, I never really liked Vancian magic.

I think you’re supposed to spike the ball after you cross the goal line.

Alas, that’s not going to happen.

I know this is a zombie thread, but I’ve still never heard of J.D. Vance, that I can recall, outside this thread. When I saw it, I thought the OP was talking about J. A. Jance, but I had no idea that she had political aspirations.

It’s quite a distance from taking less than a third of the vote in a Senate primary to the White House, Kermit. I don’t discount that Vance may have a bright political future ahead of him, but “inevitable” is taking it way too far.

Never give up! Never surrender!

We don’t need another hero…hero…hero.

Stranger

I can’t believe @CHealy7 called it so many years ago. This will be the biggest presidential inauguration ever!

I still don’t know much about this guy. He hated Trump before he loved Trump is almost my complete knowledge. That sounds like most of the right so he doesn’t really stand out.

I really thought you folks were talking about Cyrus Vance for a few moments about running for Prez. Then the coffee kicked in.

Adding to the confusion, there is also Joyce Alene White Vance, who also is in the news for writing tweets and maybe op-eds on political matters.