Janet Jackson's Tit Ring: Are They Painful?

My 17 year old daughter has announced that she wants to get one of these things…I cannot understand why anyone would want one, but a few questions:
-are they painful? Once the piercing is done, is there continuing pain?
-infection: can these things cause an infection?
-removal. When one is tired of imitatioing this moron, what are the consequences of removing it…do you have a permanent scar?
Count me confused!

I don’t have any experience but anecdotal, but a friend of mine (male) did get his pierced and didn’t seem to have any troubles beyond ordinary piercings, i.e. sensitive and tender for about a month or so for healing. As for taking it out, he’s never taken it out yet, but I can’t see how difficult it would be.

A couple of questions:

Does she have other piercings? Are they OK? Is she allergic to any metals?
Is she sexually active?
See if she can wait six months. If she still wants it after six months, then she can have it. Would this work? Can you make her “earn” it? The only reason I say this is, she might change her mind!

Also…I don’t know what the effect on a female breast would be, for nursing later in life, etc. I would check with a doc.

Female nipple piercings seem to be one of the less painful piercings as they go (strangely, men seem to find nipple piercings more painful than women do), but it’s still a piercing and there will be mild to moderate pain. However, the pain is very brief and just lasts for a second or so. There may be soreness following the piercing, but once it’s done there isn’t much continuing pain.

A fresh piercing is basically a wound, and as such is susceptible to infection like any wound would be. The risk of infection can be kept to a minimum by following proper aftercare procedures and cleaning it daily with antibacterial soap and a cotton swab until healed (generally 6-9 months). While it is healing she should try to only let it come into contact with clean surfaces and shoudn’t allow anyone else to touch it in any way. Your piercer will explain necessary aftercare in more detail.

If she should someday want to remove it, the piercing will most likely shrink and close up so as to be barely noticeable if it was done correctly.

The most important thing to bear in mind when she’s getting the piercing is that she must use someone who uses hypoallegenic jewelry and who follows sterile procedures, including gloves, sterile instruments and surfaces, and an autoclave. All instruments, needle, forceps, etc. should be sterilized in an autoclave, same as if you were at the dentists office. Ask to see the autoclave and ask about it’s use. The piercer should be happy to explain how they guarantee sterility to your satisfaction. If they aren’t, leave.

While I don’t wear the shields that JJ had, I had my nipples pierced about 10 years ago. First your daughter would have to go through the initial piercing and healing process, then she could change to a shield although I can’t see that being comfortable to wear on a normal day-to-day basis. In my opinion, they’re just something for ‘special’ occasions.

Her age may be an issue. Check with the piercer but they may require your permission until she turns 18.

I had both done at the same time and while the first one was fine, the second one hurt like hell. Afterwards, the only pain I experienced was when I accidentally caught the ring while they were healing.

If they’re not taken care of properly, any piercing can become infected.

I removed one that was growing out (yes, that can happen!) and I’m allowing it to heal before getting it redone. There are small scars but nothing truly noticeable.

If she goes through with this, make sure that she goes to a high-quality reputable piercer. Oh, and I mentioned the nursing thing to my piercer before I got mine done and he assured me that if they’re done properly, there aren’t any issues.

Hope I helped!

[/hijack]
I may be way off on this but…

I can’t shake the impression that a nipple piercing (on a male or female) is an overtly sexual statement. I don’t pretend to know anyone’s motivation in getting one but I do know my own reaction to seeing one, and it isn’t “my what an intriguing statement of self-expression.” Perhaps I am just getting dirty in my post-30 years.
[/hijack]

As I have a daughter myself my first reaction is “get one when you are 18.” But if she insists, then it’s cool you are willing to see it done properly.

They are painful to have done. But then again, that’s just how it felt for me.
And they take a few months to heal. Proper care is very important.
Would I allow my daugther to get her’s done. Nope…But mines only 11,maybe when she was closer to age I would take her myself. She said she wants a tattoo. I told her when she is 18 I will take her. I can’t say no since I have three:) But since yours is closer to age. I would take her and make sure its done by someone that knows what they are doing. Find out from other people about the place too. Better safe them sorry.
And to me, I think it’s very sexual.

I think in most states you have to be 18 to get anything beyond your ears pierced, parental permission or not. Anyway, if it were my daughter, I’d tell her she can get it done when she’s 18, no matter what the local laws might be. I just don’t think I could let a kid of mine get below-the-neck piercings while they’re still minors.

I am not anti-piercing, BTW. But it’s a commitment, and it’s largely better to wait and still want it later than getting it now and regretting it later.

Age of consent and parental permission varies by state. Here’s Texas:

Forgot to mention my credentials, by the way: I’m a retired body piercer, current lawyer.

I removed my nipple piercing after having it in for nine months or so. The hole has healed over, but the nipple remains slightly bigger than my other one.

It’s not so noticeable as to be disfiguring, but at close inspection there’s definitely a mismatch. (I might have to get the other one pierced to even my keel.)

Never been pierced there but one nipple is larger than the other on me. Larger nipple is on smaller breast. Aereoles are the same diameter though.